Yak

NFL 2017-2018 Season Discussion

4 hours ago, TecmoSuperFan said:

interesting stat i learned from yesterday's game. Revis got thrown to seven times, only allowed 1 completion. It's a step up from the Jets game,  at least. 

I went to the game.  Revis was getting burned, but Carr either didn't see it or couldn't get it to the wr in time, usually due to pressure.

i will come out and say that Carr looked like total shit yesterday. By total shit, I mean complete shouldn't even be playing quarterback shit.  If there was an incompletion, it was carrs fault, not revis's. have minimal confidence in carr anymore.  The only decent things he did were in total garbage time.

i also don't have confidence in revis

Edited by buck

How in tarnation is Jay Cutler kicking Tom Brady's ass!?  How is it that the Dolphins are winning!?

For all I know, the Bills could do the same thing.  As too the Jets.  The Steelers?  Eh, they'll play Zone D like always and allow the Patriots to massacre them by a Super Saiyan Tom Brady.  Maybe somebody can come up with a GIF showcasing Brady becoming so pissed off following the loss that he massacres his next immediate opponent.

This isn’t outside the norm for the Patriots in Miami. It’s pretty well documented. New England fans all know Brady often plays average-to-poor down south.

I’m enjoying watching the Patriots play their usual hit-or-miss game in Miami. Gronk being out is an issue, sure, but the Patriots have played poorly all game. Top-down. Bad scheming, bad play by Brady. Soft defense.

Edited by Maynard_G_Krebs

Because this week went completely crazy, I think I may need a break from doing weekly power rankings.  With a Patriots loss, it becomes quite blurry to figure out who indeed is the best team in football.  It can't be the Eagles; Carson Wentz is out for the year.  It can't be the Vikings; they just lost to the Panthers.  The Seahawks got their teeth kicked in by Sacksonville; the Falcons took down the Saints during a short week; and the Patriots, as soon as I called them the best team in the NFL, are getting murdered by a Dolphins squad having such a difficult and inconsistent time that they are now on the chopping block for elimination.

The Steelers are the only pick I can dependably make to be the best team in football at this time; and even then, they still have yet to face the Patriots.  And then we have the Eagles, who are probably going to end up winning next week even with Nick Foles at QB.  Why?  Because their next opponent is going to be the Giants.  'Nuff said.

I may decide to rank teams that have been officially eliminated differently from the rest of the league; while teams that clinched will rank differently rather than based on record.

13 minutes ago, Maynard_G_Krebs said:

This isn’t outside the norm for the Patriots in Miami. It’s pretty well documented. New England fans all know Brady often plays average-to-poor down south.

I’m enjoying watching the Patriots play their usual hit-or-miss game in Miami. Gronk being out is an issue, sure, but the Patriots have played poorly all game. Top-down. Bad scheming, bad play by Brady. Soft defense.

It has been two years since they lost to the Dolphins though.  I honestly could not believe it when it happened back in 2015, as it basically opened the door for my team, the Denver Broncos, to clinch homefield advantage throughout the playoffs.  I'm fully aware of the documentation.

Though to be fair, the odds of the Patriots missing the playoffs is next to nonexistent.  They would need to lose out, and the Bills, Ravens, Titans, and Jaguars to win out (with the Titans winning the division).  This is due to conference tie-breakers costing them the division to the Bills as well as a wild card spot to the Ravens.  The Bills might be able to pull off the blitz schemes necessary to defeat the Patriots--same too for the Jets.  However, the Steelers like to play Zone D--a defensive scheme that pretty much never works in defeating the Patriots.

Every team that has ever defeated the Patriots in a big game would know that the key to beating him is to literally beat him to a pulp.  Either by lighting up the scoreboards or sending everything you've got defensively at him.  And even then, there's no guarantee of it working; you may be able to bust his rhythm, but you cannot rattle or faze him in the heat of the moment.

Edit:  And just to add in my own little hypothesis, but I theorize that had the rest of the NFL been busy innovating or building their teams around the simple prospect of defeating the Patriots, then the Patriots dynasty would not have lasted anywhere near as long as everybody else.  Instead, things like Free Agency, the Salary Cap, political correctness, and out-of-control spending has basically killed all but two or three teams (the Steelers, Packers, and Seahawks have been the only teams during the Patriots dynasty to consistently find themselves relevant all these years, and are still relevant today--the Colts and Broncos were only relevant because of Peyton Manning; that's it).

Edited by Mike Gordan

I think instead of power rankings, I should simply rank the teams based on tier lists.

Super Bowl Contenders

Locked-In:  Philadelphia Eagles, Pittsburgh Steelers

Win-And-In:  Jacksonville Jaguars, Minnesota Vikings, New England Patriots

Playoff Contenders

Could-Get-In:  Carolina Panthers, LA Rams, New Orleans Saints, Tennessee Titans

Win-To-Set-Up:  Atlanta Falcons, Baltimore Ravens, Buffalo Bills, Kansas City Chiefs, LA Chargers, Seattle Seahawks

Chopping Block

Longshots:  Dallas Cowboys, Detroit Lions, Green Bay Packers, Miami Dolphins, Oakland Raiders

Death's Door:  Arizona Cardinals, Cincinnati Bengals, New York Jets

Eliminated

Dead:  Chicago Bears, Denver Broncos, Houston Texans, Indianapolis Colts, San Francisco 49ers, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Washington Redskins

Nonexistent:  Cleveland Browns, New York Giants

That's All I have to say about this week.  Maybe I can make fun of every team's deficits and shortcomings.

11 hours ago, Bolt said:

I just got a most strange premonition, this evening.............ninjas get ready..............A PANTHERS Vs. STEELERS Super Bowl

If this happens, the halftime show absolutely 100% has to be...

IMG_1989.JPG

5 hours ago, buck said:

So, are the eagles "done"? Do they win a playoff game without RG3 v2.0 (wentz)?

What about chiefs? You guys still think they've shot their wad?

An Eagles win plus Saints loss would pretty much guarantee that the Eagles will clinch a first round bye.  Similarly, the Steelers can also clinch a first round playoff bye with a win against the Patriots (as well as homefield advantage with a Jaguars loss).

If the Chiefs beat the Chargers on Sunday, they'll most likely make the playoffs.  If they end up matching up with, say, the Tennessee Titans in the Wild Card Round, they're going to win another Playoff Game (heck, anybody matching up with the Titans is going to kick their ass, including the Bills and Ravens).  I'm probably am going to pick the Titans to win this week, too (since, you know, 49ers and all), but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the 49ers defeat the Titans as well.  Then they get the Rams; they're gonna get pulverized.  And then they're gonna get a vengeful and highly motivated Jaguars squad.

If they somehow do make it to the playoffs, it's only because other teams like the Chiefs/Chargers, Raiders, Dolphins, and Bills somehow do not muster up the Games Against Common Opponents.  But they still have to win this weekend.  Simple as that.  In fact, the Titans can for sure clinch a playoff berth this weekend with a win, plus losses from the Dolphins, Raiders, and Ravens.  That's as good as it gets.

I never thought the Chiefs had a legitimate chance at anything, despite a Week 1 win against the Patriots. Alex Smith is a meager step up from Ryan Fitzpatrick as a starting quarterback. And he always has been.

1 hour ago, Maynard_G_Krebs said:

I never thought the Chiefs had a legitimate chance at anything, despite a Week 1 win against the Patriots. Alex Smith is a meager step up from Ryan Fitzpatrick as a starting quarterback. And he always has been.

I don't know man... maybe a step up from Derek Carr.

To be fair though, Alex Smith had spent pretty much his entire career as a quarterback for some incredibly lousy 49er teams from 2005-2010.  He wouldn't get a chance to shine until he was finally surrounded with talent and was given a really good coaching staff to work with in Jim Harbaugh--and later on, Andy Reid.  I think it is much safer to say that Alex Smith is the type of quarterback who is good, but not great.

The great quarterbacks win games even if their team's overall talent leaves much to be desire.  This is in part the reason why quarterbacks like Peyton Manning, John Elway, Aaron Rodgers, Brett Favre, Roger Staubach, and Dan Marino frequently enter the conversation of greatest QB's of all time in spite lacking the jewelry of Tom Brady, Joe Montana, Johnny Unitas, or even Terry Bradshaw, Bart Starr or Troy Aikman--who few people even think of ranking on a list of greatest QB's of all time anyways, especially since the first two spent their whole careers behind elite defensive units.  The six quarterbacks in question have spent a great portion of their careers having to win all their games on heavily deficient teams.  Of the six, Favre was the only one with a reputation as a self-saboteur in big games.  Manning to a lesser extent (his Colts teams his first few years were quite awful, in spite their winning records), though there's also plenty of instances of bad luck involved as well.  But of the six named players, Dan Marino was the only one who never got the much-needed help that could have gotten him that elusive ring.

Peyton Manning needed some good luck to win both of his championships, as well as an all-time great defense the second time around.  Staubach was the only one of these named quarterbacks who always had an elite team behind him, but was frequently on the losing end against teams like the Vikings and Steelers--who had their best eras of pro football during that time.  John Elway needed an elite team with a ton of elite playmakers to finally get his elusive first Ring, and were better than ever when they defended their title.  Aaron Rodgers' team had a ridiculously great scoring defense backing him up, and then combined with his playmaking abilities, scorched the earth in the 2010 postseason.  Brett Favre's team was the best team in the league across the board when he won his only Ring, and the only team he would need to worry about--the Denver Broncos--got eliminated that year, thus postponing their worries until the following season.

Alex Smith seems to fall somewhere between Jay Cutler and Philip Rivers.  He's good; he's consistent; but he's not the kind of guy who can carry the team on his shoulders.  One has to wonder how great Brady would have been if he were with, say, the Cleveland Browns.  He definitely has the ego and competitive makeup that makes the greatest of all time the greatest of all time, however; and his will to win is pretty transcending all things considered, a trait that is exceptionally rare and hard to find in any human being (Super Bowl LI was quite a statement that all but validates him as the greatest of all time).

1 hour ago, Mike Gordan said:

The great quarterbacks win games even if their team's overall talent leaves much to be desire.  This is in part the reason why quarterbacks like Peyton Manning, John Elway, Aaron Rodgers, Brett Favre, Roger Staubach, and Dan Marino frequently enter the conversation of greatest QB's of all time in spite lacking the jewelry of Tom Brady, Joe Montana, Johnny Unitas, or even Terry Bradshaw, Bart Starr or Troy Aikman--who few people even think of ranking on a list of greatest QB's of all time anyways, especially since the first two spent their whole careers behind elite defensive units.  The six quarterbacks in question have spent a great portion of their careers having to win all their games on heavily deficient teams.  Of the six, Favre was the only one with a reputation as a self-saboteur in big games.  Manning to a lesser extent (his Colts teams his first few years were quite awful, in spite their winning records), though there's also plenty of instances of bad luck involved as well.  But of the six named players, Dan Marino was the only one who never got the much-needed help that could have gotten him that elusive ring.

No. Those quarterbacks enter the conversation because fans outside of New England need something to cling to when desperately trying to avoid the blunt reality that Tom Brady is easily the GOAT, and it's not close. Tom Brady and the Hoodie have essentially broken the NFL, and fans outside of New England can't wrap their biased little brains around it, so they search for any detail to create arguments that say otherwise. It's pathetic, actually.

Or they do what you just did, in part, and create their own version of history to reflect the desire to debate who the GOAT is. This analysis is terrible. Truly. Peyton Manning/Aaron Rogers have nearly always had better receivers than Tom Brady. Troy Aikman had great receivers during his SB runs, and let's not forget a little known name in Emmitt Smith giving him room to throw. Elway was basically sitting next to Dan Marino until Terrell Davis got him to two Super Bowls. I mean, I could go on and on, really. Your view on Dan Marino is the only one that is accurate, by my estimation.

Dude, I appreciate your posts, because the rest of the meatheads on this forum are typically best served by keeping to the sexy girls threads, but sometimes your analysis is cringe-worthy biased and self-serving. When I post about Tom Brady, I at least make it clear that I am total homer, but also incredibly correct. ( ;) ) That you try to veil this dreck in objectivity is almost Trumpian.

Edited by Maynard_G_Krebs

Brady's performance in ATL super bowl last season alone was enough to make him the undisputed GOAT. That was like four joe Montana super bowl games in one....except without rice or taylor.

but then factor in his amazing career...and he better be having trophies, stadiums, awards, streets, buildings, etc named after him in honor of Brady's exclusive greatness.

Edited by buck

37 minutes ago, buck said:

Brady's performance in ATL super bowl last season alone was enough to make him the undisputed GOAT. That was like four joe Montana super bowl games in one....except without rice or taylor.

but then factor in his amazing career...and he better be having trophies, stadiums, awards, streets, buildings, etc named after him in honor of Brady's exclusive greatness.

Brady is the greatest QB ever in terms of accolades and championships, but in my mind Aaron Rodgers is the best QB ever and is more gifted than Brady. He can make every throw that Brady can in the pocket, and his athleticism allows Rodgers to fire darts when he's scrambling that Brady has never and will never be able to throw. 

Rodgers might have the more gifted arm and leg, in terms of calipers and radar guns...But Brady's body, mind, and soul are even more gifted.

And in football: health, mind, and soul are greater than muscle. This revelation might not have come to you, yet. But someday it will....or you could just look at any belichick pats team and see this reality in action.

Edited by buck

I agree with the supremacy of Brady and Belicheck in this modern era (and all eras). I just want to remind people of a certain guy (and his coach) who are really the only ones in my mind can be compared with them and their success. #GOATTALK

SimplytheBest.jpg

otto.  heck yes.  the (ancient) original GOAT. 

graham crackers were named after this GOAT.  

also, the modern automatic transmission would not exist if it weren't for automatic otto. 

and the guy from repo man was named after him.

otto.thumb.jpg.3c32bcf1025b775542b552c635302c64.jpg

Edited by buck