cubsfan5150

Old timers - When was the peak of online tecmo?

Hmm tough question to answer. Maybe somewhere in the last 3-5 years would be a good blend of (good internet connections, a lot of quality players and a good number of players in general, a large number of leagues, and good websites/tools to support the leagues) .

In sheer quantity the early 2000's had to be the king, though being gone for a solid decade, I couldn't say where quality/quantity best overlapped.

I would have loved to have start online play earlier in the 2000's.  I had done a few games from the Nesticle era, if they had Nestopia earlier it would have been interesting.

Idk, I really like the content people are putting out now - streams, commentary, plus always some good leagues going. Plus the websites and hacks are always getting better (even the hacks that don't affect gameplay, like the madison match rom and tap counter - Thanks Bru!).

When I first started in 2010 you literally had to be an established tpc player to even be considered for a league. Games anytime, Every league was jam packed with talented players not to mention the amount and pace of the leagues. I have always thought I started in a real golden era.

On 3/11/2017 at 2:50 AM, Ryan11p said:

When I first started in 2010 you literally had to be an established tpc player to even be considered for a league. Games anytime, Every league was jam packed with talented players not to mention the amount and pace of the leagues. I have always thought I started in a real golden era.

I'd agree. I started Nov. 2012, and leagues were full and plentiful, with wait lists.

I think right before the invite only WTF league. The creation of that league divided players. For me personally, being left on the outside as a well established Tecmoer was the start of the end in my online interest. I understand what the purpose of the league was (condensing WTF leagues), but the members were chosen on a basis of being likeable versus good for Tecmo.

6 hours ago, regulator088 said:

I think right before the invite only WTF league. The creation of that league divided players. For me personally, being left on the outside as a well established Tecmoer was the start of the end in my online interest. I understand what the purpose of the league was (condensing WTF leagues), but the members were chosen on a basis of being likeable versus good for Tecmo.

The other aspect that crushed me (even tho I was invited, and then of course ended up running it eventually) was that consolidation/condensing of the other leagues. MAN MY WTF RETRO TEAM WAS READY FOR A RUN OF TITLES! And Retro was by far my favorite WTF league.

Retro had probably the best involvement at the time IIRC. Regular WTF was catching up to current day and ratings were skewed.  Classic never really had a chance to blossom.

The thought behind the invite only one was premium players/players who got games in in a timely manner.  Usually those were two TOTALLY different types of guys, so it was challenging.

I still die on the inside about TCS, it was different and fun...

14 minutes ago, slim_jimmy7 said:

Retro had probably the best involvement at the time IIRC. Regular WTF was catching up to current day and ratings were skewed.  Classic never really had a chance to blossom.

The thought behind the invite only one was premium players/players who got games in in a timely manner.  Usually those were two TOTALLY different types of guys, so it was challenging.

I still die on the inside about TCS, it was different and fun...

And getting games in was still a bit of a struggle IIRC. Retro did have the best involvement, although I wasn't around for the inception of WTF, it sounded like that was the peak for owner involvement in a dynasty type league.

TCS is one that a LOT of guys die on the inside about.

Posted (edited)

Wow so even if someone like me comes along and gets carried away like i did a few years ago and joins every league they can they would just be in 3 leagues and waiting for HSTL.  On the plus side it seems like there isn't a problem filling up the leagues unlike in years past.

Edited by hankthetank

I think for a lot of guys those first couple of years when they played are always going to stick in their minds as the golden years.  I'm no different.

My online playing was heavy from 2004-2009.  I had moved into my first apartment by myself in 2004 and had just started grad school. In other words, I had a lot of time in those late hours by myself when I was writing papers.  I always needed a break. I played a lot of TPC then, but also was in many leagues like ATA, CTL, HSTL pretty much any SNES league, and a couple of others.  But the two that always stick with me (and that I stuck with the longest) are STL and TCS. Both of those leagues, as well as TPC, sois had a big hand in.  STL was my first league and the free agency system blew my mind at the time.  TCS even took that a step further with its recruiting system, player progression, and all around good rivalries.  I was honored to be a commissioner along with AverageTSBPlayer, tecmorox, and of course sois.  But those were my online Tecmo golden years.

In 2011 is when I got into my annual hosting of live tournaments.  I hosted one back in 2007 with some good success, but didn't start it up again in NYC until 2011.  To me, 2010 is my pivot away from online and into playing at live tournaments. I'm always tempted to dive back into regular online play. I played in the Tecmo Legacy League for a long time, which was a TSB 3 league. But I think the live tournaments helped usher in a new era of the Tecmo experience to me.

21 hours ago, Bad Moon Rison said:

I think for a lot of guys those first couple of years when they played are always going to stick in their minds as the golden years.  I'm no different.

My online playing was heavy from 2004-2009.  I had moved into my first apartment by myself in 2004 and had just started grad school. In other words, I had a lot of time in those late hours by myself when I was writing papers.  I always needed a break. I played a lot of TPC then, but also was in many leagues like ATA, CTL, HSTL pretty much any SNES league, and a couple of others.  But the two that always stick with me (and that I stuck with the longest) are STL and TCS. Both of those leagues, as well as TPC, sois had a big hand in.  STL was my first league and the free agency system blew my mind at the time.  TCS even took that a step further with its recruiting system, player progression, and all around good rivalries.  I was honored to be a commissioner along with AverageTSBPlayer, tecmorox, and of course sois.  But those were my online Tecmo golden years.

In 2011 is when I got into my annual hosting of live tournaments.  I hosted one back in 2007 with some good success, but didn't start it up again in NYC until 2011.  To me, 2010 is my pivot away from online and into playing at live tournaments. I'm always tempted to dive back into regular online play. I played in the Tecmo Legacy League for a long time, which was a TSB 3 league. But I think the live tournaments helped usher in a new era of the Tecmo experience to me.

Upon reading this, I feel this sounds just like my "tecmo" online story where I joined (and ran) many leagues for the better part of 5 years, then kind of shifted into focusing more on doing Live stuff. The personal circumstances were a bit different (I probably would have been going straight from the early 2000's til I kind of dropped out of online when I did, if I had known online tecmo was a thing) but overall my golden years were in the first couple of years when I played as well.

2 hours ago, ryanr33fulcher said:

2009 tpc was booming. online  leagues were abundant

Yeah man, those were good times... luckily we've had some pretty solid ownership in WTF lately, but I'd love to have another 5 leagues running right now.