Player Attribute Locations in Hex file

Goldglv

I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me how someone was able to figure out which player attributes were in what positions in the hex file?  Like in what order was RS, RP, MS?  And how someone knew that the ratings were RS, RP and MS to begin with?  I would think that only the original programmers would have this info, is there any documentation on this?  I'm assuming someone tried to match up the Player Data screen in the game with attributes in the hex file?

Is all the player data in one spot in the ROM or is it scattered about by team?

I'm just very curious to see how someone figured all this out.....love the site and the updated ROM....

Edited by Goldglv

Thank you Dave.....I see where the player data starts (3010) but is there any documentation on what positions in the hex file are which?  I would assume the first part of the player data is the Bills but looking for Reich's number 14 and don't see anything.

Thanks.....

the pointers to the names start at 

the names and numbers start at 0x6DA

the attributes + faces  start at 0x03010. Each nibble of the byte is one attribute. The data is in the same order as the names.  

0=6 skill

F=100 skill

Example QB Bills

A3 11 52 8C CC

A=  Rushing power = 69

3=  running speed = 25

1 = maximum speed =13

1 = hitting power = 13

52 = player face

8 = passing speed = 56

C = pass control = 81

C= accuracy of passing = 81 

C = avoid pass block = 81

https://tecmobowlers.com/2016/08/hacking-tecmo-players-and-stats/

• 2 years later...
On 1/9/2017 at 2:29 PM, Goldglv said:

This is a great help......I wrote a roster editor for older Genesis Madden games (91-94) and wanted to start getting into hacking Tecmo.....

Actually the Genesis versions are probably the least represented in terms of roster editors