NFL Stat Spreadsheet

Lamefest

I complied this spreadsheet a while back, and I figured it may be helpful for those looking for an organized resource of player stats for attribute setting.  It should be every player stat of every team from 1978-2006.  Why those years?  I chose this for my own editing because I thought it represented a solid consistent period in the NFL. There's an influx of better player stats in 2006.  Also, changes to defensive passing rules in 2007 really changed the statistical landscape going forward.  1978 was the first year of 16 game and was also a year with significant passing rules changes that really effected the statistical landscape.

Things to note on spreadsheet:

1. Player numbers are listed, which is super helpful
  2. Player weight is listed
  3. All return stats are included
  4. I modeled target data from 1978-1997 based on stats from 1998-2006.  The model's R-squared came in 0.98 and all variables had significance under 0.0001 so it's pretty solid

Now if only there was a spreadsheet with some sort of Face values....

Happy Editing!

1978-2006 Master Data.xlsx

Look at that - nice.  I'll have to enter the real target stats from 1992 to 1997.  It is just Offensive Players.

There's one other thing I forgot to mention that may have some value to others.  I went through the pain of taking the 1987 stats and backing out all stats from the strike weeks.  This removed all the scab players and right-sized the stats for the guys that racked up stats in games with mostly scabs like Charles White and J.T. Smith.

I'll probably re-post after I piece in the correct targets from 1992 to 1997 and take a look at the performance of the model.