TECMO GREY CUP 2016

chris99

I have officially started working on the next CFL game. This year's Grey Cup was awesome. I have started the rosters and ratings. There were no new teams so it won't take me too long. Hope to have the rosters and sim settings done before Christmas. Only things I will need help with that I know of are:

1. can anybody update the schedule? CFL teams play 18 games so there would be a couple weeks where teams play more than once to make this fit what is available. 

2. Can anybody update the menus so they say the correct year?

TECMO GREY CUP 2016version3.jpg

Edited by chris99
updating cover art

Attached you'll find an edit of last years game that I was working on. I edited the players names,stats and faces. I also edited the playbooks, uniforms, sim code and schedule. The rosters were updated about midseason. Note however that the rom I was working has numerous hacks applied to it and some bugs exist. You'll still be able to pull the info you want withTSBTool. I hope it helps. 

TECMO GREY CUP 2015 - Copy.nes

Edited by SBlueman

I got that. I used this rom to test out some coding. I figured he could pull the schedule information and anything else he finds useful from the edit I worked on. I used player ratings from the original game and ranked players off of numerous preseason too lists, stats and scouting reports. just trying to do my part to help. 

btw, the game has a bug where offenses punt the ball of you stop them inside the 5. Is there a way to fix this? Must have something to do with the edited length of the field. 

12 hours ago, SBlueman said:

I got that. I used this rom to test out some coding. I figured he could pull the schedule information and anything else he finds useful from the edit I worked on. I used player ratings from the original game and ranked players off of numerous preseason too lists, stats and scouting reports. just trying to do my part to help. 

btw, the game has a bug where offenses punt the ball of you stop them inside the 5. Is there a way to fix this? Must have something to do with the edited length of the field. 

Yeah, there a couple of bugs. If you try to punt too close to your own end zone it is a safety. At the same time the hacks in the game that make it more CFL-like outway the bugs in my opinion. Yet of course I wish the bugs didn't happen. The long field, the goal posts at the front of the end zone, 3 downs, it has a good CFL feel which is something I can't say for any other video football game I've ever played. 

• 2 weeks later...

http://tecmobowl.org/forums/topic/11369-out-of-bounds-zones/?do=findComment&comment=477618

I just found this in another thread and it looks like this year's edit might be the best one yet! The end zone glitch might be annoying but the game is so much fun that I learned to overlook it. I am looking forward to checking out your edit! 

Sim settings are complete. The large top players generally finish at the top of the stats in each category. Release will be any day now. 18 game schedule. 110 yard field, new 20 yard end zone just like the real CFL. Safety glitch eliminated. 2016 rosters.

I used Tecmogeek to look at ratings on the original Tecmo Super Bowl. So Adarious Bowman as the best WR in the league will have very similar settings to Jerry Rice. Jerome Messam is a beast power back and the league leading rusher, he was largely based on Christian Okoye. So on and so forth, I found comps for each player and attempted to base their ratings accordingly so that we truly have Tecmo Grey Cup, all the magic of the original Tecmo Super Bowl but as a CFL game in 2016 with CFL rules and dimension. That said, there was only one Bo Jackson so nobody was based on Bo lol. 

Bruddog came up with the end zone fix to eliminate the safety glitch. 

Buck has dealt with my constant annoying questions. I'm a CFL fan, a Tecmo Super Bowl fan and a stat geek but I'm not the most computer savvy of people lol. Buck has had to fix graphics and several other issues during the process and this project really couldn't have happened without him. 

Stay tuned....

TECMO GREY CUP 2016-6.png

TECMO GREY CUP 2016-7.png

TECMO GREY CUP 2016 - version 2 final-0.png

TECMO GREY CUP 2016-3.png

TECMO GREY CUP 2016-4.png

TECMO GREY CUP 2016-1.png

TECMO GREY CUP 2016-2.png

The same base rom as last year's game was used (GRG's). Bruddog hacked the end zones to 20 yds like the real CFL. This eliminated the safety glitch but more importantly it is awesome running pass plays with a 20 yard end zone. Really feels like the CFL as that is one major difference. In the NFL the 10yd end zone limits play call selection and this is true on tecmo as well. 

Buck is working on some things now. He updated the graphics to show the correct year, etc.. He is fixing some things I screwed up and educating me for future versions. He is also fixing the playbooks so they make more strategic sense. 

He was looking into updating the CFL and NFL all-star rosters to make the ultimate Pro Bowl.

Next year I am hoping we can possibly find a way to include the 1 pt rouge play that is such a big part of the CFL. I'm not sure that is actually realistic though and may just be a pipe dream.

This game plays significantly better than last year's in my opinion. I'm very excited about it obviously lol.

1 hour ago, chris99 said:

The same base rom as last year's game was used (GRG's). Bruddog hacked the end zones to 20 yds like the real CFL. This eliminated the safety glitch but more importantly it is awesome running pass plays with a 20 yard end zone. Really feels like the CFL as that is one major difference. In the NFL the 10yd end zone limits play call selection and this is true on tecmo as well. 

Buck is working on some things now. He updated the graphics to show the correct year, etc.. He is fixing some things I screwed up and educating me for future versions. He is also fixing the playbooks so they make more strategic sense. 

He was looking into updating the CFL and NFL all-star rosters to make the ultimate Pro Bowl.

Next year I am hoping we can possibly find a way to include the 1 pt rouge play that is such a big part of the CFL. I'm not sure that is actually realistic though and may just be a pipe dream.

This game plays significantly better than last year's in my opinion. I'm very excited about it obviously lol.

It's amazing how much can be edited in the game now. The issues that the game used to have seem to be a thing of the past. I'll definitely keep popping in to check for updates.

1 hour ago, chris99 said:

I shouldn't be surprised to see a Great Muta reference on a website about a 1991 video game but that still makes me happy. Keiji Mutoh is the man. 

yes he was!

will the end zone fix also fix this glitch?:

Since I uploaded I've play tested it and the only glitch is if you are backed up to your own endzone. The ball can be shotgunned out of the back of the end zone or hb pitched out the back of the end zone. 

I know I remember getting caught off guard with getting safeties that way. So are those issues a thing of the past as well?

Edited by SBlueman

yeah, bruddog fixed all that.  the end zone is almost 20 yards deep now, like real CFL.  it's freaking cool.  you can throw medium JJ from the 1 yard line!

28 minutes ago, SBlueman said:

It's amazing how much can be edited in the game now. The issues that the game used to have seem to be a thing of the past. I'll definitely keep popping in to check for updates.

yes he was!

will the end zone fix also fix this glitch?:

I know I remember getting caught off guard with getting safeties that way. So are those issues a thing of the past as well?

Edited by buck

• 2 months later...
On 12/23/2016 at 9:01 PM, buck said:

yeah, bruddog fixed all that.  the end zone is almost 20 yards deep now, like real CFL.  it's freaking cool.  you can throw medium JJ from the 1 yard line!

Huge fan here.  Love Tecmo Bowl.  Don't know anything about programming.

But any chance we could include some old teams?  like the old US teams?

Sacramento Goldminers?

Baltimore Stallions?

Memphis Mad dogs?

Las Vegas Posse?

Birmingham Barracudas?

Shreveport Pirates?

San Antonio Texans?

2 hours ago, mattycfltecmo said:

Huge fan here.  Love Tecmo Bowl.  Don't know anything about programming.

But any chance we could include some old teams?  like the old US teams?

Sacramento Goldminers?

Baltimore Stallions?

Memphis Mad dogs?

Las Vegas Posse?

Birmingham Barracudas?

Shreveport Pirates?

San Antonio Texans?

probably should just make a new rom or pick a particular season to make a rom from.  there were US CFL teams?  I didn't even know that. 

3 hours ago, buck said:

probably should just make a new rom or pick a particular season to make a rom from.  there were US CFL teams?  I didn't even know that. 

CFL tried to expand to the US in the mid-90's. Baltimore Stallions actually won the Grey Cup in '95:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...