Super Mario Bros. Update

Baron von Lector

On 11/24/2016 at 4:16 AM, MartinFN said:

How are  you doing the graphics? Lua script or ch

anging the chr ?

Neither.  I'm using TileLayerPro and the FCEUX emulator (for it's on-board hex-editor).  I open up both ROMs side-by-side in TLP, move tiles around, and re-color as needed.  Most difficult part of the process is playing to the point in the game where a change is made so I can verify that I did it correctly.  Save States don't work, because when I save a state, make a change in TLP and then load the state, the graphics revert to the point they were before the save.

That's what I'm talking about.  Here's the deal.  Let's say I want to (which I have) edit Bowser:

1)  I do a Save State right before I get to him.

2)  I modify his sprite tiles to make him look more SMB3 in TLP.

3)  I save the tiles in TLP.

4)  I reload the ROM in FCEUX.

5)  I Load State to the point where I was just about to encounter Bowser.

6)  Pre-edit derpy Bowser appears.

If I'm doing something wrong, let me know.  This would make things much easier.  lol

EDIT:  Turns out I was doing something wrong.  I thought I had done this already, but turns out, I hadn't.  I had to load the game before loading the state.  This is making 4-1 enemies much easier to edit and the no-longer dreaded water level sprites.

Edited by Baron von Lector

9 hours ago, meat said:

I give it some run.Seems like it takes mario awhile to get running and the jumps feel off.However this was on a 

flatscreen tv so take with a grain of salt.

He is only doing CHR edits.... so not possible. :D

I fired it up and the run animation is a bit awkward so I see what you mean, but it actually isn't off. It is just not a fluid animation.

On 11/27/2016 at 5:56 AM, davefmurray said:

He is only doing CHR edits.... so not possible. :D

I fired it up and the run animation is a bit awkward so I see what you mean, but it actually isn't off. It is just not a fluid animation.

I'm not sure about the run animation.  Originally, I was going to do a 1:1 SMB3-to-SMB1 graphic swap, but this proved to be problematic.  So instead, I just constructed SMB3's Mario head to SMB1's Mario, swapped the clothing red/black scheme to black/red (to match SMB3), and then added a black outline on the model.

• 1 month later...