what is your favorite aspect of Tecmo Super Bowl?

I haven't had much time to play the game over the last few months, but I recently played an exhibition game, and I was reminded of why I love the game so much. 

How ridiculously overpowered the stars in the game are! The superstars are truly gamebreakers in TSB, capable of wrecking the other team all by themselves. So what is your favorite part of TSB? I'm certain that you must have one, since that's the reason we're all members of this forum. 

I like playing the CPU and trying to go undefeated every season. I mostly use the worst teams like NE and IND for a bit of a challenge. If I start to get frustrated I'll just run through a season with the Raiders or Giants or something so I can just turn my brain off and get an easy undefeated season, then go back to trying to grind out an undefeated season with those losers again. 

3 hours ago, PockyCandy said:

I haven't had much time to play the game over the last few months, but I recently played an exhibition game, and I was reminded of why I love the game so much. 

How ridiculously overpowered the stars in the game are! The superstars are truly gamebreakers in TSB, capable of wrecking the other team all by themselves. So what is your favorite part of TSB? I'm certain that you must have one, since that's the reason we're all members of this forum. 

UUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.............Johnny Johnson.  Those two words just answered every question you asked

It's a great distillation of football. It's like taking a time release football pill, freebasing the active ingredients, grinding it up mixed with saline solution and mainlining that shit into your aortas. You only get a couple possessions per quarter so they are all crucial. Every score or defensive stop or turnover is a great victory. 

The little cinema scenes add to the drama nicely because you don't know what's about to happen, if you're getting a miracle block or INT and so on. The music is great as well. I'm glad they put a little time & talent into that department, because they could just as easily have decided not to bother. The presentation & sheer depth of the gameplay is just about perfectly placed between overblown and barebones. Plenty of character and subtlety without being pretentious. 

I've been catching up on Angry Video Game Nerd on youtube recently & looking at some of the worst crap the NES and other classic consoles had to offer, games i may only have read about briefly in Nintendo Power or heard vague rumors about when I was young. Tecmo's little football game seems like a more impressive achievement every day.

When I first started as a kid, I loved the OP superstars. 9 year old me really bought into the power that was Bo Jackson.

As the years passed, it was more about the ability to create perfect match-ups versus my friends. Having relatively even battles was freaking awesome.

Now that I am an old ass man, it is all about bonding with you guys. I have made some great, deep friendships through Tecmo & live tournaments. I could have never imagined this happening in a million years.

6 hours ago, davefmurray said:

When I first started as a kid, I loved the OP superstars. 8 year old me really bought into the power that was Bo Jackson.

As the years passed, it was more about the ability to create perfect match-ups versus MY friends. Having relatively even battles was freaking awesome.

Now that I am an old ass man, it is all about bonding with you guys. I have made some great, deep friendships through Tecmo & live tournaments. I could have never imagined this happening in a million years.

I had the original Tecmo Bowl right when it came out, so I was used to that before TSB even existed. Naturally I was Bo all the time, and in TB throwing into coverage was an automatic pick, so I just didn't pass at all. When I started TSB I only played with the Raiders at first, so I thought it was basically the same deal. When I finally played with the 49ers, it was a revelation. It was like, oh you can pass in this!