Strategy for TSB 2 and 3

Fox Mulder

Hi.  I just started recently playing these games.  I posted this here since this forum looks like it gets more traffic than the TSB 2 forum.

I was wondering.  

1)  On defense, when do you guys usually call Nickel, Dime, and Goal Line defenses?

2)  When do you guys usually utilize audibles on defense?

3)  When do you guys usually utilize audibles on offense?

What I've been been doing lately is just treating this game like TSB 1.  On offense, I never audible.  And on defense, I never call anything except Normal defense and I never audible.

Hi,

I've been playing a lot of 3 lately, and here's what I've been doing -

1. It depends some on player health/ability, but I use nickel mostly as a good all-purpose D, dime on sure passing downs, and goalline from my 3 yd line on in or the occasional 4th & 1.  If my linebackers are way better than my secondary, I'll use normal more often.

2. I rarely audible on D, but I know some like to go from nickel/dime to normal/goalline to "blitz" the safetys.

3. I'll audible pass to run often when they show dime formation, and conversely when they call normal, I'll pass, especially on 1st downs.

Hope this helps! 

Edited by Shlabotnik

If you want to stop the run, call Goal Line.  Defense leaves one LB to basically mimic and spy RB. You will not get more than one receiver covered, so if pass is called you need to be careful.

Dime is completely useless, as pass coverage is actually worse than Nickel (at least in my experience).  Normal seems to be a poor compromise and actually doesn't do a good job of stopping anything, maybe geared more towards stopping the run, but will leave people open. At that point you could just as well run Goal Line if you really want to stop the run.

I am sure others will disagree, but this is my experience. Most of the experience is against human players...

Jimmy is right about Man vs Man. Vs. com I tend to pick a lot of goal when I select running plays and dime when I select passing. But I usually have a created team, and all my DB have 88 INT, so having 6 of them out there on a passing down is kind of nice.

As far as audibling goes vs the CPU, sometimes when you hint at audibling you can get the other team to audible. If you memorize their playbook, it can help you know what play they called sometimes. If you do audible to a different defense, all it seems to do is move the players around. I'm not sure whether it changes what they all do. Has anyone tested this?

Nowadays I only play vs the CPU. I don't audible on defense, and I always select a linebacker. I either help out on run defense or drop into coverage most of the time.

On offense I only audible if I called the wrong type of play.

• 4 weeks later...

I would say that all defensive formations can be good, it just depends on the team that you are using, and how the drones support you when you're playing each formation.

It also matters which plays you are calling on which formations and how the drones react to plays, and how they cover on passes.

I do agree with some of what Slim said above, but I think all 4 formations are usable and it varies from team to team.

Also, audibles can be great in many ways on defense. They allow you to play players on defense out of position. Which allows you to use formations differently from team to team. It really all comes down to personnel. Having the best players on the field can be a big deal sometimes... while other times, other teams, they just play differently.

• 2 years later...
On 9/27/2016 at 11:01 AM, slim_jimmy7 said:

If you want to stop the run, call Goal Line.  Defense leaves one LB to basically mimic and spy RB. You will not get more than one receiver covered, so if pass is called you need to be careful.

Dime is completely useless, as pass coverage is actually worse than Nickel (at least in my experience).  Normal seems to be a poor compromise and actually doesn't do a good job of stopping anything, maybe geared more towards stopping the run, but will leave people open. At that point you could just as well run Goal Line if you really want to stop the run.

I am sure others will disagree, but this is my experience. Most of the experience is against human players...

One thing to note here is that if you wanted 6 dbs on the field for INT reasons (assuming you had the right players) is that you could call dime and then audible to another defense.

• 2 weeks later...

We like to call that 

Hybrid defenses

Set your best players 

Example

Take green bay for example

There lbs suck except maybe Wayne simmons...and they are a 3-4

So I set my starters to dime and audible

To nickel...that brings Leroy butler and George Teague up to lb

Wayne Simmons goes from lb to to the 5th db in nickel...

But of course to do this u have to play around with it

That means I have to set Leroy butler and George Teague to the 5th and 6th db in the dime formation...meaning they would not be your starters in your starting 3-4... 

It's really fun to mess around with just like u can audible goaline to normal and make Reggie white a beast lb

Making hanks and McDonald play lb in San Fran is almost cheating..

But fun 

• 4 weeks later...

Just to weigh in on this very old post...

When just coaching, defensive formation is absolutely EVERYTHING.  It's the main reason we play Tecmo 3 because it adds a lot of strategy to the defensive side.

Dime and pick run is most safe and popular.  Most guys are covered and you have a 1 in 4 chance of shutting down a run.  (And computer QBs don't always throw to a wide open receiver)

Nickel and run stops the run a bit better; but you have more risk of getting burned on some passes -- especially the fake dive passes.  It's good to mix in Nickel and pick a pass to keep them honest.

Normal defense...you almost always have to pick pass or else no one will cover.  Normal stops sweeps well; but lead runs up the middle kill it.

Goal line is high risk, high reward.  Stops the run for sure; but you'll give up big yardage if you didn't pick their pass.

Audibles are huge too.  You can manipulate the offense into picking what you want by audibling back to dime (enticing them to pick a run) or vice versa.  Knowing their playbook and formations can help you increase your odds of a picked play.

Finally, audibles are also good for putting good players where you want them...like super linebackers in the secondary or on the DL depending on what you are trying to do.

LOVE defensive formation in coaching mode for TSB3.

• 2 months later...

This is why I stick to TSB 2. Defensive formation is definitely everything, I 100% agree. TSB 2 just has higher difficulty though.

I am a defensive player first, usually focusing on defense most of the time. It's why I usually play with teams like the Chargers, Chiefs, Steelers and Eagles. 

it all depends on the team you're using though. I agree with the audibling strategy, which is essential when you are playing with a team that don't have strong LBs. You can set yourself in a dime and audible to nickel and use the DBs in coverage better.