(NES) Tecmo Bowl 2017

Baron von Lector

Tecmo Bowl 2017

Amidst the sea of Tecmo Super Bowl 2017 releases, here's a ROM release for the original of the series, Tecmo Bowl 2017. 

This game contains all 32 NFL teams (expanded from 12).  There is also a feature that allows you to choose your CPU opponent, as opposed to originally letting the CPU choose, in Exhibition mode.

Rosters are based 99% off of depth charts provided by NFL.com and CBSSports.com, with a few exceptions taking into consideration suspensions (Tom Brady, Le'veon Bell) and other factors.  Statistics and ratings are based on those provided by Pro-Football-Reference.com.

A special thanks goes out to TheFes75 and TecmoTurd for their assistance.

In keeping with tradition, the original Tecmo Bowl (and Tecmo Super Bowl) were notorious for their "beasts," like Bo Jackson, Christian Okoye, QB Eagles, Mike Singletary, Jerry Rice, and more.  Well, Tecmo Bowl 2017 is no exception.  Some of the "beasts" (based on career bodies of work and current work) included in this ROM are:

RB - Adrian Peterson, Chris Johnson

WR - Larry Fitzgerald, Antonio Brown, Odell Beckham

DB - Darrelle Revis

DE/LB - James Harrison, JJ Watt, Ndamukong Suh

KR - Devin Hester

Growing up, I preferred this version of Tecmo Bowl to Tecmo Super Bowl, despite the lack of the Pittsburgh Steelers in the game.  To this day, I prefer Tecmo Bowl to Tecmo Super Bowl for the sheer sit-down-and-play factor.

If there's anything glaring that I missed, please bring it to my attention.  Enjoy! 

What do you mean?  He's right here:

When I was selecting the DBs, to go alongside Richard Sherman, Kam Chancellor stuck out.  When I looked at his numbers, 4 Pro Bowls looked impressive.  Then again, if I had dug further, I would have seen Earl Thomas' FIVE Pro Bowls and two All-Pro selections.

Keep 'em coming!

EARLTHOMAS.png

ok?  I don't see him on the rom I downloaded.  I would look for ALL PRO over Pro Bowl.  Pro Bowl takes in about 50% of the league (well not quite, but it's overrated).  All Pro takes one or two guys at most at each position.  And Earl Thomas has been 1st team All Pro the last 4 seasons. 

I'm not criticizing, just was wondering.

3 minutes ago, buck said:

ok?  I don't see him on the rom I downloaded.  I would look for ALL PRO over Pro Bowl.  Pro Bowl takes in about 50% of the league (well not quite, but it's overrated).  All Pro takes one or two guys at most at each position.  And Earl Thomas has been 1st team All Pro the last 4 seasons. 

I'm not criticizing, just was wondering.

He wasn't on the original ROM.  I slipped him in quickly and re-uploaded.  He's on the new version. 

His performance wasn't the reason for omission, it was an oversight.  When selecting two Seattle DBs, after Richard Sherman (no-brainer), I think I went with Kam Chancellor because, well, it was an oversight.  His name stuck out, I checked his stats, and plugged him in.

7 hours ago, chrittycren said:

This rom is awesome, and the replay value is beyond awesome! I noticed that the when choosing the playbook for the Rams, the team name is still STL instead of L. A. Small, but noticeable.

Oops!  I thought I had removed all instances of STL.  On my to-do list for Monday morning.  Thanks!

I uploaded an updated version of this game.  Relatively small.

I fixed the playbook instance where it read "STL" instead of "L.A".  While making this LA change, I also changed the Rams' uniforms from the "old" St. Louis colors to the classic blue and gold (white and blue on the road).  This affects both on-the-field gameplay and cutscenes.

Also replaced Shaun Hill with Sam Bradford as the MIN QB.

Huge oversight on my part.  When working on another project (using this one as my base) I noticed that San Francisco and Seattle's road uniforms made them look like ghosts, complete with pasty white skin and black uniforms.  Some numbers were mistakenly swapped around.  This problem has been fixed.

A new version has been uploaded.

2 hours ago, Baron von Lector said:

Huge oversight on my part.  When working on another project (using this one as my base) I noticed that San Francisco and Seattle's road uniforms made them look like ghosts, complete with pasty white skin and black uniforms.  Some numbers were mistakenly swapped around.  This problem has been fixed.

A new version has been uploaded.

I have actually seen this before even when all hex code is entered correctly.  I have even changed the hex code only to have it happen again. Weird???

Also Aaron Lynch should be the 49'ers top OLB.  He is their best pass rusher, but he is on suspension for the first 4 games.  Right now you have Tank Carradine there.  Carradine is probably listed on the Depth Chart ahead of Lynch because of Lynch's suspension.

16 hours ago, TheFes75 said:

I have actually seen this before even when all hex code is entered correctly.  I have even changed the hex code only to have it happen again. Weird???

Also Aaron Lynch should be the 49'ers top OLB.  He is their best pass rusher, but he is on suspension for the first 4 games.  Right now you have Tank Carradine there.  Carradine is probably listed on the Depth Chart ahead of Lynch because of Lynch's suspension.

So far I've been lucky.  Seattle and SF's uniform colors are still correct.

In regards to Aaron Lynch, when setting the rosters I tried to keep in mind the suspensions (i.e. Tom Brady, Le'veon Bell, Vontaze Burfict, etc).  I must've overlooked Lynch.  Fear not.  He's been added in the latest updated version that I uploaded this morning.

LYNCH.png