Sign in to follow this  
Mike Gordan

Madden 17 Tips

Yes, I am playing Madden--no hate, but Tecmo Super Bowl just seems so easy by comparison, as much as I love the game (heck, I led the Vikings and Eagles to Super Bowl victories in the 1978 and 1979 roms from QBVikings).

So, any tips that I should know playing the game?  I'm a new player at Madden, and I promise I'm not going to ditch Tecmo.  Consider this a new thing for me.  Thanks.

16 hours ago, Mike Gordan said:

Yes, I am playing Madden--no hate, but Tecmo Super Bowl just seems so easy by comparison, as much as I love the game (heck, I led the Vikings and Eagles to Super Bowl victories in the 1978 and 1979 roms from QBVikings).

So, any tips that I should know playing the game?  I'm a new player at Madden, and I promise I'm not going to ditch Tecmo.  Consider this a new thing for me.  Thanks.

Don't backpedal too much when you drop back to pass. It seems like new players have a bad tendency to back up until the moment they pass (in an attempt to get away from the pass rush), resulting in the QB being 20 yards behind the line and making completing even a simple 5 yard slant difficult-to-impossible.

• Pocky is correct don't throw off you back foot. When you do it will actually say you threw off your back foot and the throw will be worse. 
  • Follow you blocking on your runs.  
  • The option is a good run to use even if you never run the QB. With the new Force and cutback designations for certain players on every play running the option keeps the Force defender where he is for the most part and makes for one less defender you need to run against in the box.  I run some form of the option on every run play.  
  • Let your passing plays develop and have a read system before the play. I usually go deep, mid, shallow unless I'm trying to get the ball to the flat right away.
  • Use all of your passing types. The touch pass (double tap) is especially useful for throws behind the linebackers and in front of the DB's over the middle.
  • Use L1 (don't know the XBOX button) on deep throws. Gives a speedy wide receiver a chance to get separation and to run and get under it.
  • On defense keep the auto flip on.  This will always line your defense up to be in position to cover the offense. Don't do a lot of pre snap defensive audibles.  This is not like past Madden games where you had to make a bunch of moves before the play.  In this version every defender in the box has a gap assignment and when you put them in a blitz or squeeze them or move them over their gap assignment changes and it can leave you quite vulnerable.
  • Play a lot of defenses that say "match" i.e Cover 3 Match.  In this years version the match zones have options to follow the receivers that run through their zone  to "match" their routes rather than have them run through them and then be wide open behind them.  The "match" defenses do have their weaknesses though.  If the receivers clear out the underneath zones then it leaves the backs open in the flats for nice gains.
  • Match up with the offense while on defense.  If the other team comes out in 4 wides don't run a 4-4 defense because you will be outmatched with linebackers on receivers.  Use nickel when teams go 3 wide. or Dime when they go 4 wide.  Go 4-4 when they go 2 or 3 tight endes.

The rest you just have to come up with a play style for the team you use.  I use the 49'ers exclusively. I understand their shortcomings and play to their strengths. 

NOTE: The new rosters should be out soon so some teams will gain players and some will lose players which could change the way they are used.

Thanks guys.  For now, I'm thinking about campaigning with the Denver Broncos since that's my team.  And it works to focus on a Run-first-based offense.

Eventually, I might actually consider doing an entire campaign devoted to rebuilding the Browns into a Super Bowl Dynasty.  I have been playing some practice rounds with the Patriots as well (since they're basically the best team in the game according to Madden).  So wish me luck there.

And DO NOT abuse the speed button on runs. In my experience, you don't need to use the speed button on at least 50% of your runs. Like TheFes75 says, follow your blocks, be patient, and realize it's not the end of the world if you only get 3 or 4 yards on a given run. Not every run can go for a touchdown. If you use the speed button too much, you'll be going too fast to find the hole and will run right into the butts of your own O-linemen, and you'll tire out your HB. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Bolt
      Ok.  Before the Season starts, full-throw I gotta grandiose little idea for a "game" we could play.

Name a number - 1 through 99 - and the Player you FIRST associate with it.  YOU CAN BE SELECTIVE, THOUGH!  If, on first association you think of a player you don't like (for whatever reason), you can think the next player, and speak it, instead...  We only want players you associate in a GOOD way!  [NOTE:  Doesn't have to be "the best" player you think of for a given number, though.]

By the end, we'll tally all the numbers, and define - by observing who had the most repeat associations among us - the Goodest *Player*... by jersey-number;  and, overall.

Here, I'll start randomly and begin with the # 75.  You all chime in with your 75 (can be the same as mine/ anyone else's), and then throw out some #'s/ players you think of.

For me, when I think of 75, I immediately think:  Joe Greene

• By Knobbe
      File Name: TecmoBowl.org Presents: Tecmo Super Bowl 2016
      File Submitter: Knobbe
      File Submitted: 09 Sep 2015
      File Category: NFL By Year

Tecmo Super Bowl is the greatest sports video game of all time. Now, 24 years after TSB made 8-Bit legends of Bo Jackson and Lawrence Taylor, TecmoBowl.org proudly announces the release of Tecmo Super Bowl 2016. This site's 9th yearly iteration updates Tecmo's NES classic with up-to-date rosters, graphics, schedules and play books for all 32 NFL squads. Additionally, you can now check the defensive conditions of your players.

Playable on multiple platforms and operating systems via NES emulation software, Tecmo Super Bowl 2016 brings Nintendo's bone-crunching classic to today's computers and handheld devices.

Will offenses fear Richard Sherman like they feared Ronnie Lott? Who is the more deadly play-caller: Aaron Rodgers or Dan Marino? Will Marshawn Lynch live up to the hype? Loaded into an NES Emulator, Tecmo Super Bowl 2016 will make legends for the next 23 years.

Tecmo Super Bowl 2016

Table of Contents
      A. How This Works
      B. How To Play - PC/Mac
      C. How to Play Online - Windows
      D. Tecmo Super Bowl 2015 Notes
      E. Credits

A. How This Works
      If you're new to emulation:
      ROM = Game or Cartridge (.nes file)
      Emulator = NES System

B. How To Play - PC/Mac
      Download Nestopia for your platform and also the .nes ROM - ** Windows Here ** ** Mac Here ** Open Nestopia. From Nestopia, File > Open and find your .nes ROM.

C. How to Play Online - Windows
      Setup for online play using our guide - http://tecmobowl.org/topic/53066-guide-get-started-playing-tsb-online-for-dummies/. We then recommend starting out at the TPC - http://www.tecmoplayers.com.

Most TPC players use the original Tecmo Super Bowl ROM, but you might be able to find some people playing TSB 2016. Remember that the versions of the game must be exactly the same or you will not be able to connect.

If you’re looking for an online league, we recommend TecmoBowl.org's Online Tecmo Leagues.

D. Tecmo Super Bowl 2016 notes
      Check Defense condition - In the same location as the time out menu there is now a "CHECK DEF" option which lets you scroll left and right through your players 4-3 Defenses - Several teams employ 4-3 defenses. The "RT" (Right Tackle) will show up as the LILB on the rosters. 32-Team ROM Rosters current as of 9/8/15 Adjustable quarter length Playbook editing in-game Player 2 attributes now display correctly Halftime stats Passing Accuracy hack is different from last year. Pass Control determines if a pass will be completed. Passing Accuracy determines if the ball will be on target. Quickness now works. This will be the maximum speed of a defender if they pick up a fumble or make an interception

E. Credits Graphics - Keithisgood Rosters/Attributes/Sim - Buck 4-3 Defense - Jstout Roster QA - Nathan @ Retro4ever.com Promo - davefmurray QA/Rom Merge/Project Coordinator - Knobbe

Thanks to:
      Jstout, Bruddog, Cxrom, Bad-Al & Buck for the hacking knowledge and tools. Members of TecmoBowl.org for helping beta test and for making this all worthwhile.

Tecmo Super Bowl 2016 by TecmoBowl.org is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.

Based on a work at
      http://tecmobowl.org/.

Click here to download this file

View full article
    • By buck
      There are 4x roms in the zip - actually, only two games (ROM 1 and ROM 2), but see below for reasoning for the extra two roms
      the zip also contains a basic readme, and a png image of a playbook key

View attachment: Street Tecmo 2013 v1 also with no p2.zip

View attachment: tsb street var shots 1.png

Documentation

There are two ROMs, each with 16 NFL teams.
      The only difference between the ROMs are the teams/rosters/names, etc. and the color of the endzones.

Based on Jstout's "CIFL 7-on-7" NES Tecmo Super Bowl ROM
      Upgraded plays (enhanced for the street)
      50 yard "field"

COM v MAN (you can play as player 2 if you set up your emulator)
      Competitive COM for challenging Season fun

No "Out of Bounds" - you can run into the walls

New Halftime and New Halftime Song
      Reduced Cutscreens

Game plays very fast (almost every variable is sped up greatly)
      Turnovers and scoring are common
      No punts (just "kicker")
      Countless Graphic changes

In-game playbook changing
      Cool new Uniforms (some throwbacks in there, too)
      12-game season with 8-team playoffs

"Heroes" - it's like a mini-game
      I have set up the heroes from the original Tecmo Super Bowl game
      AFC and NFC - using their original ratings (although some are decreased because it's played as pro-bowl game)
      but, it has a totally different feel and challenge than the other modern "street" teams

Pass Accuracy is completion/int variable
      KR return at their own Max Speed
      Player 2 condition indicator fixed

No pass-defender auto-dive
      Quicker dives for defenders

AI hacks
      Passing Game Hacks

Bruddog's OL/DL Differential (more random popcorn in the trenches)

HP Hack (MAN v MAN "popcorn" and/or "mash")
      Also, HP is quantized to a scale of "0 to 3 extra presses" that are added to grapple counter)
      6-25 HP = 0 extra press
      31-50 HP = 1 extra press
      56-75 HP = 2 extra press
      81-100 HP = 3 extra press

-----
      EXTRA ("no p2" versions): the (main) 1st version of TSB Street posted on 9-5-12 has a very cool hack (thanks xplozv) that lets you play as the 2nd player (2nd side) vs COM (also in season mode).
      A requirement is that you need to have your emulator set up such that you have control of the 2nd player controller (or if using an actual NES, a controller in port 2!) . In the emulator I use, I have them both programmed to the same controller/buttons.
      If you use an emulator that will not allow you to program or play as a 2nd player controller, I have provided a set of roms with the additional "no p2" characters in the rom filename. this "no p2" will play just like the original TSB - MAN will always be player one side when playing COM.

Therefore I have updated the zip to include these "no p2" versions. I also updated the readme in the zip. No other changes have been made.
      --

We must thank the following, because this rom would not be possible without their past or present help:
      jstout, bruddog, cxrom, bad_al, average tsb player, elway, knobbe, bodom, and xplozv

(jstout did not have any direct hand in the making of this ROM, but we thought we should credit him because we used his CIFL 7-on-7 ROM as our base)

--

it's a party, jerk. so enjoy it.

This post has been promoted to an article

View full article
    • By Mike Gordan
      Congratulations, Philadelphia Eagles for ending your 57-year championship drought and taking Super Bowl LII.

Might as well start this new thread for a new season, since Maynard seems to have vanished off the face of the earth at around the time of the Super Bowl.  Hope he's doing well.

So discuss the current NFL season here.
    • By Bolt
      Champione...  EVERYONE under the Sun - Who you gots?!?

Sunday, 2/4/2018 6:30pmE.T.                 

@

{@ Minneapolis, Minnesota - Vikings stadium.}

Conference-championship Borgger MedalShip, 'ere:
      http://tecmobowl.org/forums/topic/70112-conference-championships-pickem/?do=findComment&comment=488559
      (Silver was won by 1-1 piccs, I forgot to mention...)