New York, NY - 10/15/16 - The New York Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament 2016

Signed up! I am officially going to my first TSB tournament this year, now that I live in NYC. I haven't not even played TSB in a couple of years. I have not played competitively in even longer. I'm going to likely get crushed, and I cannot wait.

Edited by Maynard_G_Krebs

Less than a week out. The swamp will invade NYC with mediocre Tecmo skills!!!! Nothing but flea flickers, reverse plays and play action passes!!!!! Can you say CHAMPIONSHIP!?!?!? 

Looking forward to getting to hang out with my Northeast Tecmo buds

How large is the field this year?

Edited by suicideking81

To All Participants:

Our location for this year's tournament has changed!  If you have already signed up, you should have received an e-mail already.  Here is the new location:

Location: Raven's Head Public House, 3804 Broadway, Astoria, NY 11103
(Approx. 15 minutes from Midtown Manhattan, Uptown R train to Steinway Street in Queens)

This should not affect anyone's travel plans as the new venue is only 5 blocks away.  We will have our own private room in "The Attic."

I'll be getting groups out in the next couple of days!  If you have not signed up, please do so!  The field this year is currently just under 30.  If you are traveling with someone, let me know who so I don't place you guys in the same group.

I am so ready for my first TSB tournament. And by "so ready," I'm actually not at all. Couldn't be any more pumped. All these years messing with TSB, making ROMs, participating in front and behind the curtain of TB-org, and never once going to a tournament? Ridiculous. I'm pumped to end that streak in NYC!

Edited by Maynard_G_Krebs

56 minutes ago, Maynard_G_Krebs said:

I am so ready for my first TSB tournament. And by "so ready," I'm actually not at all. Couldn't be any more pumped. All these years messing with TSB, making ROMs, participating in front and behind the curtain of TB-org, and never once going to a tournament? Ridiculous. I'm pumped to end that streak in NYC!

my best advice is:

1. get to know the teams and their best players, strengths and weaknesses.  take notes if necessary.

2. get to know the playbooks.

3. enter zen

1 minute ago, rmm1976 said:

Blast from the past...  You have any interest in coming back to HSTL?

Possibly. When I checked out the boards recently I could not believe that they are up to season 37 or whatever, it felt like the league was always on the verge of collapse back in the day.

I need to get a computer, that's the main hurdle. I've been getting by with an ipad for the past few years.  (Side note: believe it or not, the ipad is actually a pretty sweet emulation console. if you jailbreak it you can actually play old games wirelessly with a wiimote, there is zero lag, it's amazing.)

How do people set up games these days, AIM's not still a thing is it?

1 hour ago, Ranatoro said:

Possibly. When I checked out the boards recently I could not believe that they are up to season 37 or whatever, it felt like the league was always on the verge of collapse back in the day.

I need to get a computer, that's the main hurdle. I've been getting by with an ipad for the past few years.  (Side note: believe it or not, the ipad is actually a pretty sweet emulation console. if you jailbreak it you can actually play old games wirelessly with a wiimote, there is zero lag, it's amazing.)

How do people set up games these days, AIM's not still a thing is it?

No more AIM, we all use Discord now and it's light years better than AIM ever was.

Congratulations to Shawn S. @stalltalk for his impressive win in this year's New York City Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament. He led the Bucs to a 17-3 win over Brian R. @Bad Moon Rison in the final. Jim T. @powerade took down Louis B. @red98sethuthut in the third-place game.

We were unable to stream from the event this year, but @suicideking81 recorded a lot of games and is planning to make those available soon, so look for that forthcoming.

Here is an interview I did with the champ and runner-up:

I did a few other interviews throughout the day that I'll follow up with as I get them uploaded.

Here also is the final bracket:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oCDiyPhMO6ETU9dIN6EtxcPyO9H-pLhVVMjZmQxlV8M/edit?usp=drive_web

Thanks to everyone who participated, both those fellow NYers who joined us and those who traveled to be with us. Thanks to Brian, Ryan K. @hoigaard, and everyone else who put in the work to make this event so much fun. And lastly, thanks to Raven's Head Public House (http://www.ravensheadpublichouse.com/) for both saving our butts at the last minute and for providing a great new venue for our event.

I want to express my sincerest gratitude to everyone who came out this year.  As some of you know, we lost our space 6 days before the tournament, a place we had been hosting the tournament for the last 5 years. Getting that e-mail Sunday night from our former venue simultaneously angered me and made me feel panicked.  I nearly cancelled the tournament.  But I remembered that the Tecmo must go on!  I reached out to a few of the NY guys who have been very involved in the meetups--Ryan @hoigaard, Patrick, Scott, Matt @deadfaulkner--and they helped me sort through what to do.  We were able to come together and book a space within the next 24 hours.  And it ended up being one of our best tournaments yet.

This experience made me reflect a bit on the Tecmo scene, what it has become, places I've gone to, people that I've met in the Northeast and across the country.  And I feel very blessed to have shared many of the thrilling and exciting experiences I've had with all you guys. I've come to know many of you more than just from your Tecmo play. And I am seriously bummed that @arncoem won't be having the CT tourney this year, but I guess there's always next year.  Anyway, I could go on and on with all this mushy stuff, but I'll stop here.  :)

I'll be posting my experience of my games and tourney day shortly.  Thank you to all who came and made it a great day in Tecmo.

In the meanwhile, here are some photos:  https://www.facebook.com/NYTecmo/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1915919231964190

The crew earned their share of bounties in this event - about $50-60 in base worth, many hard-earned in the 4th quarter with me in position to win. Everyone I asked doubled for charity. I've topped it off and made it $500 to Action Against Hunger USA. (Don't confuse this with generosity.)

As usual this was an excellent event, and I appreciated seeing the skill of play and chatting people up.