Recently my review of Tecmo Super Bowl II: Special Edition was posted on SNES Hub. This is a really great fansite that any of you SNES fans out there should check out. 

http://playingwithsuperpower.com/tecmo-super-bowl-ii-special-edition-review/

I'd love to know what you all think about the review!

39 minutes ago, Green Majik said:

Recently my review of Tecmo Super Bowl II: Special Edition was posted on SNES Hub. This is a really great fansite that any of you SNES fans out there should check out. 

http://playingwithsuperpower.com/tecmo-super-bowl-ii-special-edition-review/

I'd love to know what you all think about the review!

Great review but I think I'd only give it 2.5 out of 5 stars...  First off, the limited release was REALLY annoying.  I WAS DYING to get this game when it came out, couldn't find it anywhere, finally got it after months of searching/waiting.. and the game engine vs TSB and SNES TSB was a letdown for me.  I had hoped it would be an 'updated' version of SNES TSB to make the animations and graphics / etc. more sharp and better audio and perhaps new plays.  I actually liked the later TSB 3 better than TSB 2, as that seemed like an improved version of the poorer TSB 2.  Just my 2 cents!  Still enjoyed the review quite a bit, nice work!

Thank you so much for reading. 

I agree that TSB III is the superior title. You can't argue against the create-a-player option in my opinion, not to mention having the expansion Jaguars and Panthers on that game. 

Hopefully the review will draw some attention to this largely overlooked title.

I haven't played II in a while but I remember the offensive/defensive line grapples as being a bit 'off'.

I did enjoy the 3 seasons of rosters on one rom but overall played TSB 3 a lot more even though i owned both.

• 4 months later...

Good review of the game; I got lucky two years ago and discovered a copy on amazon for only 51$, and the cart came looking shiny and brand new, as if it was never used (maybe it wasn't, it's that clean). I LOVE the three separate rosters for corresponding seasons, I think it really makes this games special.

A few nitpicks about this game though: no first down marker of any kind (even the original Tecmo Bowl had a dotted line, this game has no first down sticks or dotted line), the computer goes for two much too often, when the pass is intercepted there is no info on who intercepted the pass (unless you score), and the stats screens have a lot of space, but it's pretty underused (say, if three players have sacks for your team, it will show only one, even though there's room). Otherwise, I think this is a fantastic game.

• 7 months later...

I've been playing the game quite a bit and while I like the game quite a bit it does have flaws. Keep in mind that I am playing it on the Sega Genesis.

Pluses: Easily the best thing about the game is the ability to play with rosters over a span of 3 years. The addition of defensive formations is nice though I rarely switch out of a Nickle vs the computer. Doubling of the amount of plays is great. Graphics are a bit of a step up, nothing ground breaking. The like the addition of the audibles but it does slow down the gameplay.

Negatives: There is no difficulty setting on the Genesis version which sucks because playing against the computer is incredibly easy. The A.I. stinks and continually makes bone headed moves, for example it will occasionally just dive with a player after getting a first down even if the player is wide open. The kicking is.... odd... you have line up off center of the hash marks to make them. I was bouncing extra point kicks and missing around 25% of them till I figured this out.

Overall it's a good game but the only real reason to play this one over TSB 3 is having the ability to play against friends with rosters from 1992-1994. While I actually prefer the Genesis version of TSB 1 a tad bit over the SNES version, this one.....  steer clear of the Genesis version. The Genesis version does run a bit smoother but the SNES version is superior in every other aspect.

Edited by metalmat

On 7/29/2017 at 3:57 PM, metalmat said:

The Genesis version does run a bit smoother but the SNES version is superior in every other aspect.

Had a lot of fun playing Sega games at friends' houses, but since my fam only owned a SNES, I'm partial. 

It's nice to hear when people think the SNES version of something is better :)