Tecmo Bowl being re-released by Nintendo

palmcd

11 hours ago, davefmurray said:

No. It has been on the Virtual Console for years and has had little to no impact.

It might.  In order to download it on the Virtual Console, you have to be looking for it with the intent to pay and download it.  With it being on the 30-game console, you have it whether you asked for it or not.  Folks might play it without any preconceived notion of whether they'll like it or have no intention of buying it (on VC), be surprised by it, and severely enjoy it.  Although if it's like the VC version, it will be without player names.

17 hours ago, MvG Sports said:

Does anyone think this will increase original Tecmo Bowl tournaments throughout the country?

This year I've put on 2 "original" Tecmo Bowl tournaments in Omaha, Nebraska and Des Moines IA.  In recent years I've seen an occasional rare video game store do a tourney for TB, so its possible it could create more interest.   I'm targeting Kansas City next year as our next location.  I do believe that it could be key in helping us draw bigger crowds though at our events.  Both Omaha and DM had 16 players there.  Getting to 20 or a few more would really be a good draw IMO for that version.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 7/19/2016 at 6:54 PM, MvG Sports said:

Does anyone think this will increase original Tecmo Bowl tournaments throughout the country?

Conclusion, not really, or not at all.  Lack of sales (175K last year) hurt.  I don't know any people that own a mini.  

A Columbus Ohio tourney that used 8 NES Mini, had a field of 32 players.  That was impressive, but the impact overall seems minimal.  1st place there was a 32" vizio and a NES mini.  That's the only reason I own a Nes mini.

I expected hundreds of people in Omaha would get Minis, and tourneys I put on would easily have 24+ players.  My tourney 2 weeks ago had 16 players.

I thought the Mini would help us find better caliber of players.  I assumed there'd be more people playing regularly, or a group of guys would play a ton prior to the tourney.  

A group of 4 of us are a combined 59-1 vs the field in 5 tournaments recently. I've played in all 5 (won all 5), and outside of my 3 friends, its been a ton of super easy games.  Won Omaha twice, Des Moines, Houston, and Columbus.  While it's nice to easily proclaim domination, blowing out virtually everyone isn't fun.  In those 59 wins we have, only 4 games have been won by 7 or fewer points.  The lone guy that beat my friend in the Des Moines tourney, also accounts for 2 of our 4 narrow 7 or fewer point victories.  From a batch of about 100 people, 1 guy that could actually hang.  That's what I had really hoped the NES mini would remedy.

There's clearly a hierarchy at the tournaments though.  I've had to play people in semi-final games that were 5-0 at the time and crushing opponents.  A buddy and I have faced people that were a combined 30-3 heading into semi-final and championship games.  So there are some decent players out there, but clearly not enough hurdles for us to really be concerned much about losing.  The NES mini could make those type of guys much better. 

Perhaps as the secondary market eventually drops in price, more people will get them, and we'll find some guys with better game.                

The marketing strategy for the NES Classic is/was at best bizarre...they made them very scarce on purpose apparently (so they wouldn't tank on this venture?).  I feel like what they ended up doing is pissing people off and making them not give a shit about this product.  I was stoked about this when I originally heard about it, but when I heard how scarce they were, it was like, wtf?  I'm indifferent at best regarding this product at this point.

Since I'm well versed in 1990 Japan version of Tecmo, I was able to absolutely maul the competition in Columbus.  Did so with Minnesota, which really had people shocked.

San Fran is hands down the best team from 1990 Tecmo.  Originally my counter-squad was Denver because I like their run play to the top which has a pulling guard that better neutralizes Ronnie Lott.  However I wasn't super thrilled to only have Mecklenberg against their offense.    

In the back of my mind, Minnesota was lurking because they have pound for pound the best defense on that version of Tecmo.  They also have a far superior offense compared to their 1989 USA Tecmo version.  Got into an exhibition game as MIN vs SF and rolled 28-0 as Player 2 against a guy I could tell was pretty decent.  I had already scouted out the next few opponents and saw nobody I needed to worry about, so I decided I would roll with MIN against anyone that took SF.  I had Minnesota 4 times, and gave up 6 points total.  

In the 2nd round a guy took New York, so i countered with Chicago.  I already knew his game was weak, and went with CHI because I knew I could slowly wear him down.  I didn't want to show off my game with SF, and was hoping I could unveil them later for a huge beat-down on somebody, but the opportunity never came up.

In a round about way, using the NES mini at that tournament tilted things even more in my favor.  While San Fran is really great, the combined speed of them and MIN made it too hard for people to decipher coverages quickly enough, and the MIN bottom D-end was running free putting pressure on them all day.     

Edited by Tecmo-Mad-Brad