Ken Griffey's Winning Run Baseball

First off, is there any interest in the sequel to Ken Griffey Presents Major League Baseball?  This weekend, I tore open the ROM and started fishing around for hex locations and I'm making incredible progress.

So far, I've found where all the names are for batters and pitchers.  For pitchers, I've found where you edit the right/left-handedness (batting and pitching), wins, losses, saves, innings pitched, hits, earned runs, walks, strikeouts, ratings (velocity, control, stamina, fielding, throwing), skin color, special pitch, ERA, base-runners per game, and strikeouts per game.  As a test baby, I'm going to port my original Ken Griffey Presents Major League Baseball: Legends Edition to this game.

kgbwr.png

Even updating the Team Summary screen for each team.  I updated the World Series, League Titles, and Division Titles.  Also changed the manager and team description to read as something historic instead of the original "The Yankees are okay, but they lost to Ken Griffey and the Mariners in the playoffs last year."

yankees.png

5 hours ago, Martin said:

Got hooked on your Red Sox v. Yankees-teaser. Looking forward to the finished thing!

The individual data implementation was taking too long (each batter has 21 pieces of data), so I put the project on 24 hour hold and am working on a calculator that will do the ticky-tack conversion work for me.  It's ugly right now; I'm working on the functionality of it, first.

kgbcalc.png

I completed my calculator, and now it's back to work on the ROM.  I used it to calculate and rate the Colorado Rockies.  One thing that's great about Ken Griffey's WInning Run is the ability to trade players.  The game determined the players' trade values, based on their stats and ratings.  Seems legit, as it values Larry Walker as a beast!

rockies.png

The Dodgers are the second team completed using my calculator.  As you can see, Sandy Koufax usurped the throne from Larry Walker of the Rockies as the player with the highest value in the game.  Each team that I complete, I'll post an image.  I'm surprised that Jackie Robinson was valued as low as he was.  At least he's not Pee Wee Reese (another surprise) or Mike Scioscia.

dodgers.png

Edited by Baron von Lector

19 hours ago, Martin said:

I noticed that Luis Tiant's missing his Stamina-bar. Just a heads up.

Thanks.  Last week I scrapped the ratings that I had done (goodbye Yankees, Red Sox) and started from scratch using my calculator.  Not sure what I did wrong last week, but I inadvertently changed a value that makes it so that instead of throwing pitches, a flood of baseballs fly at the batter in the home-batting half of the inning.  This wouldn't be bad (sounds fun, actually) but the batter can't swing at any of 'em.  Right now, I've got 3 teams re-rated (Padres, Dodgers, Rockies) and am halfway done with the Giants.  Periodically, I'll post updates (with downloads) so that folks can tinker around with it and possibly point out glitches or errors that I may have overlooked.

Barry Bonds was the Trade Value beast for all of 20 minutes until Christy Mathewson and Tim Keefe swept in and took the title.  I'm starting to think that the values have a lot to do with the season statistics I input for each player.  I used each player's best season for their stats.  Looking at Tim Keefe's stats in 1888, I think this justifies the theory.

sfgiants.png

timkeefe.png

On 7/15/2016 at 10:46 PM, TecmoSuperFan said:

Awesome work. Hopefully this will lead up to a working editor for Winning Run

Until I figure out how to incorporate ROMs into Visual Basic, this is a long ways away.  However, with my calculator, the process is just as quick.  I can do a single team in about 3 hours.

Once I release the ROM (the teams are about 1/3 done).  Afterwards, gonna re-do the All-Star teams and replace the Nintendo Team with maybe a Negro League All-Star team.  Then gonna overhaul the team summary screens.  Once I'm done, I'm gonna submit to this page a "how-to" for hacking this game.  I've located all the data locations within the ROM.  At this point, it's incredibly easy and it would be great to have the community tear at it.  There's even an unlockable Tampa and Arizona team, so it's feasible to have annual submissions of the ROM, too.  I was excited once I figured it all out.

Here's another teaser download.  At the moment, there are eleven teams done.  They are:

Colorado Rockies

Los Angeles Dodgers

San Diego Padres

San Francisco Giants

Cincinnati Reds

Chicago Cubs

Houston Astros

Pittsburgh Pirates

St. Louis Cardinals

Atlanta Braves

Florida Marlins

As before, if there are any glaring mistakes, let me know.

Ken Griffey Jr.'s Hall of Fame.sfc