(SNES) Ken Griffey Baseball 2016

Ken Griffey Baseball 2016

View File

It's finally here!  This ROM is based on the 2016 Major League Baseball season.

The rosters are mostly based on the opening day rosters with a small sampling of "modder preferences" (i.e. Yu Darvish, Aroldis Chapman, etc).

As a base-ROM, I used a slightly modified version of Ken Griffey Presents: Major League Baseball that has the Washington Nationals and Los Angeles Angels in the place of the Montreal Expos and Anaheim Angels.  Also, while keeping the Florida Marlins logo, in the game I replaced "Florida" with "Miami."

I used JG Games' editor to do most of the editing.  However, there were some categories that, for whatever reason, the editor was limited.  While the ratings vary from 1 thru 10, for batting power and fielding I was limited to 9.  So, I used HxD's hex-editor to give a handful of batters a 10 rating for power, and the last two seasons' Gold Glove award winners (and Aaron Hicks) a 10 for fielding.

Also, I replaced the entire Home Run Derby roster (except for Ken Griffey, Jr.) with historic home-run heroes.  So, the likes of Nick Noheart, Sammy Scrap, Can O'Corn, and others have been replaced with Barry Bonds (single season and career HR champ), Hank Aaron (former career HR champ), Babe Ruth (former single season and career HR champ), Roger Maris (former single season HR champ), and Mike Schmidt.  Right now, for the sake of annual re-useability,

On this note, I believe I've covered everything.  If I've overlooked anything or you notice anything glaringly incorrect, please let me know.  Enjoy!

• 5 months later...

Awesome job. This was my favorite game growing up. 

2 Things though:

1. You're missing 2 teams: The Diamondbacks and the Rays.

2. What's going on with the All-Star rosters. You've got guys who definitely aren't All-Stars on there and the players don't match up with their positions 

* Side note: I like what you did with the Home Run Derby, but Mike Schmitt? Aaron and Bonds make sense, but I can think of a dozens of players over Schmitt (Willie Mays, Frank Robinson, Reggie Jackson, ARod, etc). No disrespect to Schmitt, great player, but that's just my opinion haha

Edited by MTR21

10 hours ago, MTR21 said:

Awesome job. This was my favorite game growing up. 

2 Things though:

1. You're missing 2 teams: The Diamondbacks and the Rays.

2. What's going on with the All-Star rosters. You've got guys who definitely aren't All-Stars on there and the players don't match up with their positions 

* Side note: I like what you did with the Home Run Derby, but Mike Schmitt? Aaron and Bonds make sense, but I can think of a dozens of players over Schmitt (Willie Mays, Frank Robinson, Reggie Jackson, ARod, etc). No disrespect to Schmitt, great player, but that's just my opinion haha

The game will always be missing two teams until somebody figures out how to expand it.  This is far out of the reach of my expertise, unfortunately.

The All-Star Rosters are another area that I have not figured out.  Somewhere within the ROM, there are pointers that point to players on the regular teams and puts them on the All-Star team.  I tried to shuffle players around on their current rosters in hopes that the pointers would point to All-Star players and create some semblance of an All-Star Team.  However, when the game originally came out, I believe there were 3 Atlanta Braves starting pitchers on the All-Star team and I could barely find one pitcher from last year's Braves team that slightly resembled an All-Star, not to mention three.  So, I wrote it off as "Meh."

In regards to the Homerun Derby, I considered every player that you listed, but eventually settled on Schmidt.  At the time of his retirement, Mike Schmidt was #7 on the All-Time Homerun list (#16 now).

Willie Mays - Already a Giant (Bonds) on the HR Derby team.

Frank Robinson - Up for debate.  Although played most of his years as a Red, I always envision him in an Orioles hat, American League.  Plus, played in the same era as Hank Aaron and I tried to give era-variety.

Reggie Jackson - American League.

Alex Rodriguez - American League

• 2 weeks later...

I've exported all of your teams into .txt files and then copied them into Excel, making a tab for batters and a tab for pitchers, to create a full database of players that are easy to copy and paste to reorder lineup/move players between teams. If this is helpful, I'd gladly send it to you. I am also very curious to find out the pointers for All star lineups 

1 hour ago, jamby88 said:

I've exported all of your teams into .txt files and then copied them into Excel, making a tab for batters and a tab for pitchers, to create a full database of players that are easy to copy and paste to reorder lineup/move players between teams. If this is helpful, I'd gladly send it to you. I am also very curious to find out the pointers for All star lineups 

Certainly useful! Would you mind attaching it here? I can make add it to the download section from there!

Okay, here it is. I've copied all of the teams from the 2016 version into the batters and pitchers tabs. I've created templates for Atlanta and Toronto (I'm a Braves fan living in Canada lol). So there's one NL and one AL team shown here. If you duplicate either of these, depending on which league, you can copy and paste players from the pitchers/batters tabs (which are sorted alphabetically) into the tables and edit them easily in different cells per value. At the bottom, I've set it up to auto update the gray area to combine all the cells into a single string, that way you don't need to delete the tabbed over space when you copy it to notepad/whatever txt editor you use.

Any issues, let me know and I'll fix it up.

I didn't finished Toronto's bullpen...just like them in real life right now.

KGB_Templates.xlsx

• 1 month later...

Awesome job! I just found this ROM and the Griffey "Legends" one you did! I am thrilled! The Griffey game is my all-time favorite baseball computer game. I still dig out the SNES console to play it occasionally! Of course my 1993 Mets sucked!! The 2016 version will hopefully perform better in the game!

On the topic of these Griffey games... does anyone have any hitting tips? I have probably played this game hundreds of times, but I rarely have great success hitting. Does it matter where you position the batter in the box? I understand it would help you reach outside pitches, but what about standing up or back in the box? Do certain players hit better in certain positions in the batter's box?