Long Island, NY - 08/13/16 - LI Retro Tecmo Tourney

Thanks to all who came out to make this a fun-filled day of Tecmo and retro gaming festivities!  Congrats to Matt D to winning (another) Northeast title!  After having knocked him into the loser's bracket, he had to beat yours truly twice, which he did.  He said to me before the finals that I was his kryptonite (he was 0-3 all time in tourney play before winning the last two).  Final two games were 21 (MIA) to 14 (RAMS) and 17 (PHI) to 10 (K.C).  In both games I had the ball in the 4th quarter with a chance to tie to send to OT, but no dice.  Here's the top 5 finishers:

1) Matt D.

2) Brian R.

3) Kevin S.

4) Scott S.

5) Ricardo I.

According to early reports, the Expo had 2,000+ people, many of whom were exposed to the glory of Tecmo. I also played some NHL 94, where I won my first game 5-1, lost my second 1-0 in OT, and then got spanked 9-1 in my elimination game.  Congrats to Tecmoers Scott S. and Dennis H. who took home 3rd and 4th respectively out of 26 participants in this event, a pretty amazing feat for guys who came mainly to play Tecmo.  Very special thanks to George, the volunteer coordinator, for reaching out to us and letting us have a space at the expo!  Details of the New York tournament in October will follow in the next two weeks.

Man, I wish I could have been there for this in ascending order of reason why-

1) To check out what I would assume was a plethora of old school games and what have you

2) Play in a freakin NHL '94 tourney! Shout out to my peeps on nhl94.com

3) Kick it with my Northeast Tecmo peeps. Miss you guys.

4) Save you all from having to endure yet ANOTHER Matt D victory..... cause I probs woulda waxed him ;)

Thanks as always to Brian, George, Scott, Pat B. and everyone else who help out with the tournament. I always enjoy going to these things and feel at this point as if I am getting together with a group of friends to get together and play.

My day started off in heavy traffic and I actually arrived late and was locked out of the NBA Jam tournament where I was suppose to be paired up with Brian. Probably worked out anyway, because the NBA Jam side was on the opposite end of the building than the Tecmo tournament.

My tournament began with being down 10-0 to Kevin Smith aka Tadaos who did a great job on the day and it was good seeing him again after about 3 years. He was always a good player and I enjoy his company despite the Tecmo tournament going on.  I was able to pull it out 14-10.

After that I faced Ricardo, Bo, Scott S, Kevin, Brian and Brian x2. 

The games are a little fuzzy, but they were mostly close. I faced Kevin the game before the final and he fumbled twice, but had a chance to tie the game at the end. After the tournament the trek back to PA was long, stopped at Red Robin and bought dinner for myself and my friends Cody and Ricardo who haven't been to a tourney since 2012 in NY cause I am soooo freakin nice.

The expo was a lot of fun. Lots of people were there. A lot of people dressed up in Star Wars, Ghost Busters, Pokemon and Street Fighter gear. Had a great time. Was great to meet George in person even though we had to head out because it was at the end of the day. I think this could be a lot bigger in the future. It was also cool to see other tournaments going on and people who are good at their respected craft.

Til October in NYC.

P.S.

DT- "GET SOME" and you know you miss the BEAST coast

Great job guys as always it was a lot of fun and it was great seeing everyone again!  I hadn't touched a nintendo controller since the last CT tournament back in December but I think I played pretty well despite being rusty.  Unfortunately I had the fumble bug the entire tournament, fumbling 2-3 times seemingly every game.  I had to play Matty D the very first match and he knocked me into the loser's brackett with a solid 14-10 win PHX vs PIT.  After that it was a long trek to the loser's finals, I think I had to win 4 games in a row to get there including a couple of blowout wins along the way.   All of my games were even matchups including SD vs DEN, NE vs IND, MIN vs WSH and CLE vs GB.  Loser's semis I had to take on Scott in a close game until I pulled away in the 4th quarter.  Loser's final vs Matty he won the toss and chose CLE/GB matchup.  I took GB and started with the ball and watched Woodside fumble it away on my side of the field.  Easy 7 for Matty.  Next possession I'm driving and again Woodside fumbles it away on a catch and run.  Down 14-0 in the 1st quarter I thought it was over.  Fought back to score 14-7 and I was able to stall Matt and a force a FG attempt.   Harris flys in and gets the BLOCK.  Kicker picks it up but my drones catch him before he can run for a first.  End of he 2nd quarter I bomb it to tie it up 14-14.  Matty comes out 2nd half and we trade scores.  4th quarter he scores again 28-21 leaving me 1:30 after the kickoff.  Drive to midfield and attempt a couple of bomb jjs to Sterling but come up empty.  Last play of the game I heave it to Sterling who makes the CC at the 3 yard line but is grappled down in triple coverage.  Came up just short.  Finals were 2 epic games from Brian and Matt.  I would have recorded the matches but my digital camera ran out of batteries during the loser's semis.  Great games guys looking forward to seeing most of you again for the NY tourney in October!

Good afternoon everyone,

I want to say thank you to Brian, John, Pat and the other attendees from TecmoBowl.org who helped with the tournament this year! I talked to the founders of the expo and we were impressed with how smooth the tournament went. We would love to have you back for next year's expo! Brain, thank you for working directly with us on figuring out the logistics of making it a success! Finally, thank you guys for the kind words about me. I felt that since you were our guests to the expo, if there was anything that you needed, I would try to do my best to assist and provide. It was my pleasure to help you out any way necessary to make your tournament and expo experience a success! 

I was able to sit-in on the final two games between Brian and MattyD, and it was intense. I hope to come to the tournament in October as a spectator and meet more people from the Tecmo community. It was also great talking to you, MattyD and I wish we had more time!

We are currently having discussions about all aspects of the expo and see what we need to improved upon. There are some things that I can discuss with you at the moment, and others we are still trying to get feedback on. To those who were volunteers or attended the expo, if you could please send us feedback, we would really appreciate it! Here are the list of options we are exploring:

1) We are looking at possible expansion of the sports genre tournaments, looking to include a baseball game, preferably R.B.I. Baseball. If there are people on this forum that know anyone who has run an R.B.I. Baseball tournament in the past, or can point me in the right direction, it would me much appreciated.

2) There was a lot of input about the fact NBA Jam, Tecmo and NHL tournaments started really close to each other or at the same time. Even though the start times were this way due to the nature of the expo being only a one day event, the location of the NHL and Tecmo tournaments were separate from NBA Jam. Brian from Tecmo suggested we should have a separate sports game tournament section, so all the sports games are close to each other, which is a great idea. The only issue is with this idea is the layout for next year's expo have not been determined yet since the expo just ended. Until then, we will still be exploring all options, since the interest in those three tournaments overlaps.

3) Finally, we will be looking into ways to attract those coming from out-of-state and/or not located on Long Island. The current location of the expo that we have is conducive to it being pretty central to those from Far Eastern Long Island to the Far West Nassau, and the current expo format is for one-day only from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. When the promotion for next year's expo starts again, we will have more details at that point.  

Thanks again for those who attended, and I hope to work with you all again, as I have thoroughly enjoyed this process!

Yours in Gaming,

George (BanditRa101801)
Edited by banditra101801

7 hours ago, Bad Moon Rison said:

Hey George, I sent a list of my thoughts on the expo to Joel, should I forward them to you?  Hope to see you in October!

Hi Brian,

If you want to send them to me, that's fine. I am hoping to come in October as the final round was intense between you and MattyD! I have to see what family obligations and other commitments are at that point :-)