best usb controllers?

Tecmonster

So does anyone make a good, reliable nes controller these days?  I bought some cheap retro clones on Amazon a couple years ago and they were garbage right out of the gate.

My league used the Logitech Dual Action controller and it lasted us 8 seasons before we had to replace them, so I was happy with those.  When it was time to replace them, I purchased that controller's successor, the Logitech 310, and those suck.  They started failing midway through their SECOND season.

So, for this season, I purchased genuine xbox 360 controllers from Amazon for about $30 each, hoping that buying top quality equipment would end the game of controller musical chairs for a long time, and I was wrong.  I'm pretty sure these are either counterfeit, or Microsoft's Quality Control department is severely incompetent in this area.  Buttons were sticking and d-pads were periodically unresponsive starting with the first game.

I'm thinking of going back to the original Logitech Dual Action model.  I can find some on ebay for $20-$25 (shipped) from time to time.

Any recommendations?

20 minutes ago, Tecmonster said:

So does anyone make a good, reliable nes controller these days?  I bought some cheap retro clones on Amazon a couple years ago and they were garbage right out of the gate.

My league used the Logitech Dual Action controller and it lasted us 8 seasons before we had to replace them, so I was happy with those.  When it was time to replace them, I purchased that controller's successor, the Logitech 310, and those suck.  They started failing midway through their SECOND season.

So, for this season, I purchased genuine xbox 360 controllers from Amazon for about $30 each, hoping that buying top quality equipment would end the game of controller musical chairs for a long time, and I was wrong.  I'm pretty sure these are either counterfeit, or Microsoft's Quality Control department is severely incompetent in this area.  Buttons were sticking and d-pads were periodically unresponsive starting with the first game.

I'm thinking of going back to the original Logitech Dual Action model.  I can find some on ebay for $20-$25 (shipped) from time to time.

Any recommendations?

360 controllers D-pads are hilariously bad. PS3 controllers hands down.

On 5/21/2016 at 9:02 PM, brookstonfowler said:

xbox 1 controller d-pad has corrected the problem of the 360. 

so are you saying that an xbone controller would be a good controller for pc nintendo emulation?

8 hours ago, buck said:

so are you saying that an xbone controller would be a good controller for pc nintendo emulation?

I like mine, but I'm not worried about having an authentic nes feel.  I like the controller in general, and I like how I can use it for other pc games as well.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Knobbe said:

If you want the NES controller experience the USB->NES adapter allowing you to plug in your own nes controller is as reliable as your controller

do you have recommended source to buy this adapter from?

34 minutes ago, buck said:

I think i've gotten them from a few different places with no issues so i'd say whatever is cheapest.

retrousb.com carries them and that should be reliable.

Amazon.com is great for returning stuff and getting your money back.

I've used the adapter cable you plug an nes controller into from retrousb.com and they work fine.

I can't say if they are the best because I haven't tried others but they haven't broken on me in 2+ years of using them. 

I bought some non-original NES-clone type of USB controller and it lagged beyond belief.  since then I have been wary, but my PSX2 controller is literally hanging on by a Chinese thread.

I have so many controllers nowadays. I have a PS4, XBONE, 360 controllers. Looks like the XBONE is the best of the bunch nowadays. The PS4 is by far the worst to play Tecmo with because of the odd placement of the start and select buttons.

Edited by TimBone

On 6/1/2016 at 3:37 PM, buck said:

If you have your own original NES controller, I would suggest using the "NES RetroPort.  I have had one for over 5 years now and it works like a charm every time.  No lag, no setup issues, no problems connecting to ANY device with a USB.  Here is the web link:  http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=28

Trust me, you won't regret this decision EVER.

I just placed my order.

17 minutes ago, bradbears81 said:

If you have your own original NES controller, I would suggest using the "NES RetroPort.  I have had one for over 5 years now and it works like a charm every time.  No lag, no setup issues, no problems connecting to ANY device with a USB.  Here is the web link:  http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=28

Trust me, you won't regret this decision EVER.

On 6/1/2016 at 11:20 PM, TimBone said:

I have so many controllers nowadays. I have a PS4, XBONE, 360 controllers. Looks like the XBONE is the best of the bunch nowadays. The PS4 is by far the worst to play Tecmo with because of the odd placement of the start and select buttons.

i don't see how you could go wrong with the x-bone controller.

On 6/4/2016 at 1:27 PM, buck said:

I just placed my order.

had some time with this adapter from retrousb.com, totally kicks ass...however, the socket is crazy tight.  I had a hard time getting the NES plug into the socket.  but working flawlessly and I am making crazy runs (that I usually only make on the console) on my emulator!  I didn't think it was possible to play NES on a PC this tight.  not exactly "perfect" (because it never will be with an emulator vs console on tube TV) but really fun and awesome.

Thanks for all the feedback.  Seems like the preferred equipment is the original NES controller with a USB adapter, but have you guys found a manufacturer of the real NES controllers?  Surely, you're not still using your old controllers from the 90's, right?

26 minutes ago, Tecmonster said:

Thanks for all the feedback.  Seems like the preferred equipment is the original NES controller with a USB adapter, but have you guys found a manufacturer of the real NES controllers?  Surely, you're not still using your old controllers from the 90's, right?

yes, 1980's.  and yesterday I spilt an entire cup of hot coffee all over said 1980's controller and it still works like nothing happened.  but it stinks now.

speaking of vintage controllers. I know these are very simple devices that are easy to take apart and clean, etc.  does anyone know of a good source of replacement internal "contacts" for these?  they are the rubber things (under the plastic buttons that humans touch and press) that are actually making contact to the PCB.

I have a controller with a mushy A button and having taken it apart, it seems like it would be a very simple job, as long as somebody makes a replacement rubber contact thing molded in the right shape as the NES controller needs.

On 6/13/2016 at 10:31 AM, davefmurray said:

No joke? That's awesome. Great question Buck. I've got three systems but am down to only two controllers that don't have mushy A buttons from decades of Tecmo grapple tapping. I'm definitely ordering these. 

• 1 year later...

Best Controller for the PC (Windows) is Xbox One Wireless Controllers.

Get the Microsoft wireless adapter for the Xbox One controllers for Windows.

It'll support up to 4 wireless xbox one controllers.  

At the end of the day, you could fight microsoft and try to find another usb controller, but since its all microsoft, from my personal experience, the wireless xbox one controllers work perfect on windows and are super easy to setup in the snes emulator.