Centralia, WA - 07/02/16 - The Pacific Northwest Tecmo Championship 5 (PNWTC5)

manYo

BLACK FRIDAY: While all the chickens out there clucking and stomping each other down to buy their cheap-ass disposable SHIT on this day every year..... I dunno about you guys, but I'm enjoying myself at home watching football, mainly the Apple Cup (GO DAWGS!)...... so for me at least, Black Friday isn't about propping up our consumer society on the strength of my hard-earned greenbacks.... hell naw, homie, it's all about that BATTLIN' HARD, ya feel?!...... which is why here in Round 6, we talking 'bout PNW TECMO RIVALRY WEEK!

Regular Season, Round 6: "A Tecmo Black Friday"

So, to summarize..... up to this point, all player matchups in each round have been determined via the Swiss-style points standings, which we've used quite frequently in the past (1 vs. 2, 3 vs. 4, etc.)...... except for the Round 1 matchups, which will be randomized, drawn out of a hat........ also, the player matchups in each round are restricted from repeating any player matchups, as we've always done in the past, so on and so forth............ until we get here, to Round 6 -- aka, TECMO BLACK FRIDAY -- when most of that, for the most part, goes flying right out the door, the window, the chimney, wherever it can go to get as far away as possible..... cuz this is PNW TECMO RIVALRY WEEK, fellas! Right here, right now..... from this point forward, it's gonna be BATTLE HARD, or DIE TRYING!

Actually, the Swiss-points will be used in this round initially, in that we will start at the bottom of the standings, and ask that person..... ok man, so who is your mofo RIVAL?!  That person will respond by calling that dude out..... guys can call out another guy for whatever rhyme or reason, it's their prerogative, they can tell the reason why, or not, it's up to them....... then we'll go to the next person above them in the standings, they will declare their rival, and so on up the ladder, and that's our matchups for this round...... doesn't matter if they've already played in the tourney, in fact that might be the #1 reason, aka REVENGE, the rivalry was chosen, who knows?...... but from that point on, once the rivalries are set, there shouldn't be any further guidance necessary...... as tecmo warriors born thru the fire of the first 5 rounds, by this point you know what to do: JUST BATTLE, bringing whatever team each guy feels is worthy enough to vie for the VICTORY!

<gl/gh/gg>

Hello..... don't forget about Round ZERO, manyo!

Regular Season, Round 0: "A Tecmo St. Patrick's Day"

Yr gonna need the "Luck O' the Irish" to get ahead in this round..... and no, I'm not talking about Ken "Oh Boy!" O'Brien  What I'm talking about instead is a good old-fashioned SKIPPED SEASON LOTTO!   I talk it up all the time, me and Burn1 and friends used to do it all the time back in the day for money, we loved it....... so essentially it's this: we all draw an equal number of tecmo teams out of a hat, using all 28 teams (with some leftover, most likely)..... for example, if there are 12 guys at the tourney, we each draw for two teams each, with 4 teams leftover that nobody gets....... then on a dedicated TV, we skip a regular season, skip the first few rounds of the playoffs as necessary, then allow the Conference Championships and the Super Bowl to play out live (COM vs. COM play)...... whoever's team ends up winning the Super Bowl in that season, gets +1 BONUS POINT in the Swiss Standings, awarded at the conclusion of Regular Season play..... which might help them earn a better seeding in the Playoffs bracket tournament, we'll see........ BUT, if a team wins the Super Bowl that nobody drew out of the hat, then nobody gets any points (or everybody gets +1, however you want to see it).

GL!

A few final thoughts and notes since I'm putting in time on the tourney today..........

PLAYOFFS: to make clear, at the conclusion of the Regular Season, the Swiss Standings will be used to seed the Playoffs, which will consist of an old fashioned DOUBLE-ELIM BRACKET...... now, in the Playoffs, matchup/teams/controller are all determined Madison-style, and each player can only call a specific matchup one time...... so, if two guys play and just mutually decide to play with two teams, which happens sometimes and is okay, be sure and pin the "matchup-call" on one of you so we can track that accurately....... also note that all madison-style matchup calls in the Regular Season do not count toward that limit in the Playoffs, at which point we will begin tracking the matchup calls and not before..... Regular Season is for getting tecmo rocks off, Playoffs is for the Marblez.

Thank you for reading (or not) all the sometimes excessive words I've put up here today, and I'd just like to say I don't know why I went with a "holiday" theme for the Regular Season rounds, it just happened, I went with it..... and of course it hardly needs be said that not a single part of this tournament is a brain child of me, and me alone....... not hard to see how it comes from all of us, all the guys in the PNW, the Buffalo bros, the Madison tourney guys, tborg dudes, hell my mom for giving up that great room for us to play in, I mean it really is a sum of so many parts, and so many moments we've all shared, that I can't even wrap my brain around all of them, I just enjoy the hell out of it all, and I know you guys do too........... so just to make clear I know where any and all credit goes for what I'm sure is gonna be another great PNWTC: straight to the ~Community~!

Looking forward to July 2, and most definitely looking forward to tapping that MACnJAX!!!

PS----the only regular season idea that hit the cutting room floor was "A Tecmo Groundhog Day" which called for a classic SD/DEN matchup..... cuz both teams are heavily ground-based attacks on offense, and also because those two teams mirror each other in many ways.

first post is updated with tourney format, rules and whatnot, check it if you want.  Here's some other topics I got info on and feel need to express:

SCHEDULE INFO: Let's talk about the Schedule, which I have revised and is possibly up for further REVISION, if necessary......... for starters, I conservatively estimate the Regular Season to take 4 hours (covering 6 rounds, with some amount of time added in for the thematic complexities, etc.), and the Playoffs--which are largely dependent on how many players we got, but let's say 12 guys at this point--I would estimate to take 5 hours (covering 8-9 rounds of mostly straight tecmo).  I believe these estimates are decently conservative based on past experiences, and do factor in natural time losses for smoke breaks, keg stands, food eating and even cooking, and rampantly general drunkenness of course..... all of which are a vital part of the PNWTC experience, as I understand it....... so, let's say for a 12-man tournament, the whole shebang should take 9 total hours..... man, first of all, what a FUN DAY that's going to be! but secondly, we need to figure out a good START TIME, which then 9 hours later will determine our END TIME.  Logic and experience tells me the variables in play here are what time guys can arrive--factoring in wakeup times, drive times, and possibly train times--and what time guys NEED to leave--factoring in drive times, train times and sobering-up times.

Anyway, let me know if any of those factors are strong enough for you to suggest a time change, but for now I am going to change the schedule to read NOON TO 9PM.... but if there are any urgent needs to change it, we can make it 11am-8pm, or 1pm-10pm.  Just let me know here. and I might e-mail soon as well for those who don't check the boards. So for now, it's penciled in as follows:

SCHEDULE:

• 10am-12pm: Preseason (registration, scrims, food/drink, pickleball, etc.)
  • 12pm-4:00pm: Regular Season
  • 4pm-9pm: Playoffs

FOOD INFO: As for food, you are on your own (as of right now, I'll let you know if that changes, but probably not), but the amenities available to you at the Dojo include a fridge, an oven, a stovetop, a BBQ, a keg, some tap water and a pressurized garden hose...... my strong recommendation is at the very least you bring a Stouffer's pizza and put it in the freezer, and even if you dont eat it you will certainly curry strong favor from the gods when you bench Krieg for Kelly in the "Tecmo Labor Day" round, but hey dont listen to me, YOU DO YOU, just take care of it, end.  Lastly, as many of you are aware, there is a small grocery store up the street from the Dojo, as well as a pricey burger/smoked meats joint, and all the normal pizza places deliver there as well.

OK GUYS, now is the time to start letting me know if you are in or not...... and if you are bringing other guys or not, and how many, also their names and whether or not you driving up in a turtle van or not...... as for the MAYBES LIST, so far as I know, I got BWagg, and I got Burn1, who is trying to make it back from his AK fishing trip to do battle, but we'll see...... oh we shall most definitely see!

Edited by manYo

6 hours ago, ~Tailback King~ said:

I'm definitley hittin' up the "RIB EYE" for a pre game man breakfast on the way up there!!!

(Then probably blowin' up there bathroom worse than the H-Bomb dropped over Nagasaki)

nah man, Rib Eye is faking it, has been for years...... but Country Cousin on the other hand, just off the Centralia Exit 82 is where the REAL Tecmo Heads get their steak and eggs on..... in fact you might find me in the Country Buzzin bar that Saturday morning if I have time, beneath the burt reynolds painting, diGGing on a platter..... but most definitely find me there on Sunday morning, Burn1 and VaderStar know what I'm talking about with that one.

On 6/11/2016 at 5:04 PM, manyo360 said:

Yep!  Have you been giving heed to the ~gods~ and building your tecmo karma lately?!?

In the form of playing the Old Testament running with the likes of Dallas' Hershel Walker and Danny White and Minnesota Tommy Kramer and Darrin Nelson and most recently Kevin Mack and Kosar on yes, Tecmo Bowl 

11 hours ago, manyo360 said:

nah man, Rib Eye is faking it, has been for years...... but Country Cousin on the other hand, just off the Centralia Exit 82 is where the REAL Tecmo Heads get their steak and eggs on..... in fact you might find me in the Country Buzzin bar that Saturday morning if I have time, beneath the burt reynolds painting, diGGing on a platter..... but most definitely find me there on Sunday morning, Burn1 and VaderStar know what I'm talking about with that one.

That place is good too............I was there wit you and da boyz..............remember??????!

2 hours ago, SirTed said:

I'm in, if there is any question. 

Also, I mentioned it to Stu, and it sounds like he's gonna try to make it down, dunno if you've heard from him. 

I haven't heard from him, but I always figure Stu is a probable and I typically confirm with him via text a few days before the event, but I have put him on the roster for now..... also on the Roster (on first post), I put yr guys locales, but I'm not sure about a few of them, and if you want to represent a different city (or neighborhood or area) let me know.

(SLIGHT) FORMAT CHANGE: In case we have more than 14 guys, which I believe might be possible based on what I'm hearing, I am going to limit the playoffs to THE TOP 14 players from the Regular Season standings only.  A 14-man double-elim bracket would be the max players possible while still adhering to the rough schedule I have outlined for the tourney times.

As in the words of M.L.K.,.........I had a dream!!!  The Dream was I won Mayhem!!!  And when Tailback King has dream, they alwayz seem to come true.....Like I wrote in the PAC RIM thread, this bacc 2 bacc Tourney schedule is gonna give some lucky son of a B!tc# a rare opportunity to unify the TITLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  And I think I'm just the one to do it.  Winning these 2 titles in a row would be somthin' no one's ever done. With all the talent we have down here, this would boot Joey Gatz from the thrown.  I'll be the new KING of da MOUNTAIN......you can bet yo a$$ on it....all it took was a lil' motavation.   

On 6/16/2016 at 4:26 AM, manyo360 said:

(SLIGHT) FORMAT CHANGE: In case we have more than 14 guys, which I believe might be possible based on what I'm hearing, I am going to limit the playoffs to THE TOP 14 players from the Regular Season standings only.  A 14-man double-elim bracket would be the max players possible while still adhering to the rough schedule I have outlined for the tourney times.

Guess that means you won't be makin' the playoffs in your own Tourney!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Ta prevent that, you might not wanna go against me ;) )

5 hours ago, ~Tailback King~ said:

Guess that means you won't be makin' the playoffs in your own Tourney!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Ta prevent that, you might not wanna go against me ;) )

wouldn't mind playing a patsy like you, in fact sounds like an easy way to get my running game warmed up...... aka the vaunted rushing attack of manyo, aka THE BEST RUNNING GAME IN THE PNW, I'm sure you've heard stories about it, probably even repressed a few from all the times i've slapped you around making ya look SILLY and SHEEPISH on the tecmo gridiron........ but hey guess what, there's one thing you can NEVER forget, cuz it will be top and center of the TV we play on is... WHO owns the E-Dick action figure from Mayhem 5 for most rushing yards with Eric GOAT???  That's right jack, right HERE...... the <~rEaL~> mofo tailback king of the pacific northwest, coming straight at ya, so get ready to get WOWd cuz I'll be coming right thru ya mufucka face, and won't be nothing you can do to stop it, bwa!!!!

Ten days. Man I'm so pumped. I'm gonna do  coountdown of memories of the PNW scene in general. My first memory, today's memory, is the day I met Manyo. The first Seattle tourney that either of us saw/participated in. This tourney happened at a spot called Another Castle and they had some interesting rules. They broke the teams into 3 tiers and you picked your top team from the tiers, and whoever you matched up with, you compared teams and if the teams were same, you moved down to another tier. My teams were SF (I didn't want anyone garbaging me to death), Chicago (I believe) and Dallas. Manyo had SF, CHI and New Orleans. We met after winning a couple and we were both the last 2 unbeatens. he beat me NO over Dallas. This meant he got to sit tight while I played a lot of other guys for the right to play him for the title. I remember vividly playing another PNW regular and vet and sturdy competition Stu aka Boogie with Stu in a CHI vs WAS game. Stu had me on the ropes late in that game, playing great D with the WAS DL and I ended up pulling it out on the wings of a Tomczak prayer that just eluded Mayhew deep. My homey Jason aka Corkster  was there too and he lost a heartbreaker with his team the Bills to a big dude who played as SF. Eventually I got to play manyo again for all the yarblez, and needed to win 2 before he beat me one time. I only got the one win, but Manyo proved the champ that day, killing me slowly with that vaunted Manyo running offense while Aikman proved prophetic as LVP. That tourney was pretty awesome because of the fruits we are all bearing from those early Tribal Seedz. Congratz manyo, on that W. A great first foray into PNW tourneydom...

"THE BEST RUNNING GAME IN THE PNW???????????"......You gotta be fukk!n kidding me.  You should put that DICKERSON figure on the line again if ya got the nuttz..........But I'm warnin' ya, if ya play me, you might be leavin' without your figure, Tecmo manhood, and your yarblez.....belie dat.