Centralia, WA - 07/02/16 - The Pacific Northwest Tecmo Championship 5 (PNWTC5)

manYo

KAMP, funny you mention Another Castle cuz I am currently kicking it ROOT DOWN and back on the same rigid training regimen that was successful for me before that tourney, AKA running those high mountain paths as close to the tecmo gods as possible, and feelin' good...... frankly fellas, I'm on another level right now, I figured some shit out and expect to be runnin' ~TRUE TRAIN~ at this tourney..... hey, just sayin' so you can best prepare your mental space for the SEE IT and BELIEVE IT!........ chooCHOOOOOOOOOO!!!

A Trip Back in Time to...

~PNWTC1~

June 23, 2012

REGULAR SEASON RESULTS

PLAYOFFS RESULTS

After unsuccessfully trying to coax @kamphuna8 into masterminding a live tourney (he was content with running half the online leagues here on tborg at the time, i guess), I @manyo360 finally gave up and put one together myself, the first annual PNWTC at The Brick, a restaurant/bar in Olympia.    The original format, as I described on signs I posted everywhere I could think of (with little to no effect for my effort, and the reason why I don't do signage anymore), called for groups of four, with the top two from each group advancing to a single elimination tourney for the championship.  Once I got an idea of how many guys were coming (14), we made it 4 groups, and everybody made the playoffs, which evolved into a double-elimination bracket with 16 players after two guys showed up later.

According to my records, I distributed the talent as best I figured throughout the groups, so they were not total random draws.....

• Group A had me and @callmefairf, along with two local guys who would go on to bounce out of the playoffs in two games each... Randy beat me CLE-17 SEA-10, I called it, and only thing I remember is some cheap CC action and a fumble to give him the win, no credit to him (naturally).
  • Group B consisted of @gonickmontana (Derek L.), a guy from Seattle named Joey B., and then the owner of The Brick (Mike) who might have played his first Tecmo game ever at this tournament, it was kinda ugly actually... so yeah, gonick buzzsawed his way thru both these guys, unfortunately @gripsmoke (Matt G.) who was supposed to be in this group didn't show up until much later (I recall meeting him in the bar for the first time, nonchalantly as he sat drinking with a few friends, toward the end of Group Play)... we threw Grip into the playoffs though as a #8 seed, though he didn't fare well, losing to Randy and Kamp in quick succession.
  • Group C ended up being the deepest in talent with Kamp (Craig B.), Boogie w/ STU (always a solid player), a guy named Matt F. who wasn't much of a player really (but interestingly I have his hometown listed as Jefferson City, MO?), and then the famous Fuzzbusters, who turned out to be a surpisingly decent player, straight out of the local Oly woodwork, and who I thought would develop into a good one eventually, and he did dabble in the online world a bit after this tourney, but nothing serious before he disappeared off the face of the tecmo earth and we never heard from him again (altho I keep sending him e-mails... so if yr out there Fuzzbusters, come on back man, we need your talent and persona back in the fold again!)..... anyway, Kamp lost the first game in this group to Fuzzbusters, WAS-14 to MIN-35, which was a big surprise to say the least..... Kamp did edge Stu, SEA-21 to NE-17... but it was Fuzzbusters running train, beating both Kamp and Stu (as well as the scrub) to claim the group's #1 seed.
  • I gotta say, Group D was giving me some small anxiety pre-tourney, because @invader_star64 (Kyle R.) was not of legal age to be in this bar, haha..... but we managed to get him in and keep him in (later on, Mike, the owner, learned his age incidentally... but did nothing! which was super cool of him)..... also in this group was my buddy Jake (BigVerne), whose very sweet girlfriend Xena (sp.?) was helping me administer the data for this tournament, which was a big help... and Big Verne actually won the group, beating Vader 17-14, DAL over PHX in the first group game.... and the other guy was a local who was just playing for fun, so he was not a factor.

And then the Playoffs!  We had a guy show up at the last minute from Portland, code name "Elway's in Shotgun!" (Gary M.), so we threw him in as the #16 seed... altho Randy despite his preening confidence (and oh was he preening this day) balked at this, since we didn't exactly know if the guy was any good and Randy as the #1 seed would be playing him Round 1, but Randy handled him 30-3, so no biGGie.  I drew Mike, the owner, in Round 1... which ended up being a very un-fun blowout, because he was just learning the game (but a great guy)... which set me up for a big match versus my childhood nemesis Big Verne in Round 2.... and to my great shock, he beat me soundly, I recall he was DAL and he K-Marted me at one point for a big score which iced it, altho I do not remember what team I was (PIT? PHX? NYJ?), and actually I have no records of who was what team in the playoffs, only the scores as indicated on the bracket link above.  Anyway...... I don't recall much of my loser's bracket games, just a few random and hazy memories, but I ended up defeating Kamp, Fuzzbusters and Stu in succession, which is a tough row to hoe, man, and I'm proud of it now..... but then in the loser's bracket finals vs. GoNick, a great and interesting game overall, but I lost 10-12 on an infamous safety, which I would prefer not to discuss in detail at this time ("get the lead out, Rypien!")...... just as GoNick, I'm sure, would not like to talk about why he did not do an onsides kick vs. Randy in the championship game (Randy needed to lose twice tho) down 14-9 with little time remaining on the clock..... oioioi, tuff one, GoNique! (@callmefairf.com!)  And oh yeah, Randy won, and oh yeah, did I mention he was preening like a damned peacock.... oh wait, did I say that already? well, shit and giGGles, son...... shit and giGGles, 4ever.

So at the end, we passed out the medals, Gold to Randy... Silver for Derek (GoNick)... and Bronze for myself.  We even took pictures, etc.... we basically did everything we thought we were supposed to do at a live tourney, you know things they do at Madison and so forth, after many of us had played online for awhile together now meeting for real for the first time (or second time for some of us), yada ya..... and in retrospect, this was perhaps the most formal-like tourney we ever put on, with each tourney after that devolving into more madness and pure tecmo spirit than the last (or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Mayhem).  Part of that devolving process initiated soon after this tourney, as I packed up all the TVs and equipment, I resolved not to do it at The Brick again as it just wasn't a convenient spot for myself for a few reasons...... but I would try a public business one more time, this time closer to home, which is why PNWTC2 took place at O'Blarney's in Centralia (cue TBK walk-up muzak)...... {and to be continued with that story, eventually.....}

PNWTC1 FINAL RESULTS:

• GOLD: Randi
  • SILVER: GoNick
  • BRONZE: Manyo
Edited by manYo

TOURNEY ROSTER on first post is constantly updated as I hear from guys, but here is a general update:

• CONFIRMATIONS have recently come in from Randy and Burn1.... as well as previously from Brandon W., a guy a lot of us met in the last Madison (where he went 4-2), coming straight out of Wenatchee.
  • POSSIBLES are listed here, and REGISTRATION DEADLINE IS TUESDAY (only authorized late registration right now is for Stu)
    • Daniel C. (and buddy), aka "tworsandtwols," who recently posted here and also e-mailed me, so he and his friend are PROBABLE, I'd say.... but still waiting to hear back from the e-mail I recently sent him for more information
    • Mike L. (and buddy), who initially contacted me on twitter awhile back, but hasn't replied back yet for my request for further information, so perhaps QUESTIONABLE on this one
    • DT's buddies from B-Town (Hanging Chadwick, Dan Jensen)...... I'm sure I'll hear soon from DT about them
    • Stu... is trying to make it back from Chelan, but it has to be wait and see

I will also send a text or message this weekend to those of you who are signed up, but I haven't heard from in awhile, just for final confirmation....... mahalo.

PS---Randy has agreed to sing a few of his famous tecmo parody songs for us, including one brand new one, for a few cups of African Amber, sweet nectar of the gods that it is

Edited by manYo

Which reminds me...............we DEFINITLY gotta do a O'Blarneys Tourney again......It's fun to have outsiders who no nothing about Tecmo finding themselves glued to the action!!!  Promotion son!!!...Promotion!!!!!  

(p.s.   Did I hear the name Randy???  Wow.  He musta found his ballz which he always seems to misplace come round Tourney time :) )

On 6/26/2016 at 1:15 PM, ~Tailback King~ said:

Which reminds me...............we DEFINITLY gotta do a O'Blarneys Tourney again......It's fun to have outsiders who no nothing about Tecmo finding themselves glued to the action!!!  Promotion son!!!...Promotion!!!!!  

(p.s.   Did I hear the name Randy???  Wow.  He musta found his ballz which he always seems to misplace come round Tourney time :) )

as for me, I'll do a tourney in the Cascadia hinterlands before I do another one at O'Blarney's or any other public place of business... not my thing.

in fact, really looking forward to the day when I put a Mayhem tourney on at the Autononmous Mutant Festival!

3 hours ago, ~Tailback King~ said:

I'm pretty sure he's gonna lose ta TAILBACK KING in Centrailia too.....I smell a Johnny Johnson curb stomp bein' served up.

no chance for Johnny vs. my Orange Crush defense, while Juan "Señor Ed" ElWay will do whatever is necessito on offense to get the 'dub...... I'll even put the Eric figure on the line to back that up, HOW 'BOUT YOU?!?

On 6/25/2016 at 11:45 AM, manyo360 said:

TOURNEY ROSTER on first post is constantly updated as I hear from guys, but here is a general update:

• CONFIRMATIONS have recently come in from Randy and Burn1.... as well as previously from Brandon W., a guy a lot of us met in the last Madison (where he went 4-2), coming straight out of Wenatchee.
  • POSSIBLES are listed here, and REGISTRATION DEADLINE IS TUESDAY (only authorized late registration right now is for Stu)
    • Daniel C. (and buddy), aka "tworsandtwols," who recently posted here and also e-mailed me, so he and his friend are PROBABLE, I'd say.... but still waiting to hear back from the e-mail I recently sent him for more information
    • Mike L. (and buddy), who initially contacted me on twitter awhile back, but hasn't replied back yet for my request for further information, so perhaps QUESTIONABLE on this one
    • DT's buddies from B-Town (Hanging Chadwick, Dan Jensen)...... I'm sure I'll hear soon from DT about them
    • Stu... is trying to make it back from Chelan, but it has to be wait and see

I will also send a text or message this weekend to those of you who are signed up, but I haven't heard from in awhile, just for final confirmation....... mahalo.

PS---Randy has agreed to sing a few of his famous tecmo parody songs for us, including one brand new one, for a few cups of African Amber, sweet nectar of the gods that it is

In the spirit of an event such as PNWTC5 I have agreed to lift the  @rdleifriaf embargo. The Weird Al of the Pacific Northwest is back.

10 hours ago, manyo360 said:

no chance for Johnny vs. my Orange Crush defense, while Juan "Señor Ed" ElWay will do whatever is necessito on offense to get the 'dub...... I'll even put the Eric figure on the line to back that up, HOW 'BOUT YOU?!?

Love Señor Ed line

Denver vs (well, I might as well just say it) Johnny Johnson??????!!!  You're ON.  I don't think you have anyone on that Orange Crushed D that can stop him..............and beware.............I have a new offensive tactic I'm unveiling vs you at this Tourney..., It's called "The Rhinocerous Package" ...and you don't gotta guess twice where the two horns' are gonna end up!!!  .......but if Senior Steve Atwater is curious, and he asks twice, he'll get one in da pink, and one in da stink!!!!!!!!!!!  Ha hA ha Ha hA hA Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!

There gonna be two that matter tho. September 4th.

I think me and Ted are gonna get down there early on the prowl for practice games and pickleball. Hope the rest of yous are planning some similar schedules.

TOMORROW

Fired up.

5 hours ago, kamphuna8 said:

I'm rolling into the Tecmo Badlands of #Lewis County tonight

me and Burn1 just got done with some prefunking at Oblarneys, ready to tap the keg out here on halliday and battle on

PNWTC History of Winners

PNWTC1 (2012) [@The Brick]

1st Place: Randy F. (Mr. GiGGles)

2nd Place: Derek L. (gonickmontana)

3rd Place: Joe M. (manyo360)

PNWTC2 (2013) [@O’Blarney’s]

1st Place: Craig B. (kamphuna)

2nd Place: Randy F. (Mr. GiGGles)

3rd Place: Ted B. (SirTed)

PNWTC3 (2014)

1st Place: Matt G. (Gripsmoke)

2nd Place: Kyle R. (InvaderStar)

3rd Place: Ted B. (SirTed) / Randy F. (Mr. GiGGles)

PNWTC4 (2015)

1st Place: David T. (DT)

2nd Place: Matt G. (Gripsmoke)

3rd Place: Ted. B. (SirTed)

PNWTC5 (2016)

1st Place: ???

2nd Place: ???

3rd Place: ???

teddy fucking ballgame gives him a run for his money in the championship, but gripsmoke pulls it out to become the first ever TWO-TIME PNWTC champion here at PNWTC5... grip now looking ahead to the much-coveted "PNW-Double" status at PacRim3 (this Sept. 4) to prove he is one of the greatest tecmo players of all time...... whilst everybody else out to stop him and put their name forth in his stead,......... and you can count me among those.

thanks for the good time fellaz, just "Another Day in Valhalla," much appreciated and looking forward to next time, as always.

PNWTC5

1st Place: Gripsmoke

2nd Place: Sir Ted

3rd Place: Great White Tick

4th Place: Manyo360

5th Place:...... well there is a dispute here, but Bwagg (aka XtraLargent) apparently lays claim to this title (fuck if i know <officially>).....

The tecmo gods and Satan blessed me in the finals. The most insane ending I've been a part of. Will recap more when not on a phone, but thanks again to Joe for hosting and organizing the best tournament in the world, the format was awesome, and thanks to all the tecmo dudes, new and old, for bonding over a keg.

Special shout out to Randy for joining the Light side by indulging in the sweet nectar of the gods.