Centralia, WA - 07/02/16 - The Pacific Northwest Tecmo Championship 5 (PNWTC5)

manYo

The Pacific Northwest Tecmo Championship V (PNWTC5)

DATE: Saturday, July 2, 2016

PLACE: Centralia, WA @ The Tecmo Dojo [in rural Centralia, address released via e-mail before tourney]

SCHEDULE:

• 10am-12pm: Preseason (including registration, scrims, food/drink, pickleball, basketball, etc.)
  • 12pm-4:00pm: Regular Season (factoring in smoke and food breaks)
  • 4pm-9pm: Playoffs (factoring in some breaks, but mostly tecmo)

TOURNEY LINKS (updated post-tourney):

TOURNEY ROSTER:

1. Manyo (Lewis County)
  2. TBK (Portland)
  3. Dirty South (Portland)
  4. Kamphuna (Tacoma)
  5. Invader Star (Bremerton)
  6. Sirted (Seattle)
  7. Tick (University Place)
  8. DT (Bremerton)
  9. B.Waggs (Wenatchee)
  10. Burn1 (Lewis County)
  11. Dandy Randy (Tri-Cities)
  12. Mike L. (Black Diamond)
  13. DC (West Seattle)
  14. Gripsmoke (Portland)

PNWTC5 FORMAT:

• Regular Season: The 5th Annual Pacific Northwest Tecmo Championship will kickoff with a round-robin Regular Season, in which each round will have a unique theme and special rules [see below].  A win in any round earns a player 1.0 points in the Regular Season standings, where players are ranked from #1-#?? with tiebreakers based first on head-to-head results between tied players, second on the Median Buchholz system, and third by total point differential.  If it is necessary for a player to have a bye in any round, they will also earn 1.0 points, with no change to their point differential.  Player matchups will be randomized (drawn out of a hat) for Round 1, and then based on swiss-style format after that (#1 vs. #2, #3 vs. #4, etc.), albeit with the restriction of no repeated player matchups (until R6, see below).  At the conclusion of the Regular Season, ONLY THE TOP 14 will advance to the Playoffs, with the Regular Season standings used to seed that portion of the tournament.
    • Round 1: "A Tecmo Xmas (In July)" -- First, players will roll die and select matchups/team/controller "Madison-style."  Then, players will randomly draw for their battle station (TV/console set-up), and each station will have a cartridge in which the regular season will have previously been skipped, so that all of the condition changes and injuries will apply for this round's game.  Everything else, such as playbooks and offensive alignments, may be changed, and standard game rules applied... but the season data may not be reset.
    • Round 2: "A Tecmo 4th of July (On the 2nd)" -- Pro Bowl, y'all!  Players roll die, high# selects either conference-team or controller-side.  Then, starting with P1, each player may either substitute or re-align players on their own roster up to 4 times in total (each substitution or re-alignment of a pair of players counting as one transaction).  Then, again starting with P1, each player may substitute up to 2 players on their opponent's roster.  Once rosterization is complete, playbooks and offensive alignments may be changed as usual, and all other standard game rules applied.
    • Round 3: "A Tecmo D-Day" -- Team matchups determined madison-style... but the twist here is on DEFENSE, where players are restricted to using any DL in Quarter 1, any LB in Quarter 2, any DB in Quarter 3, and then any defender at all (OPEN) in Quarter 4.
    • Round 4: "A Tecmo Labor Day" -- The universal matchup in this round will be NE vs. SEA, a gritty PNW favorite... players roll die for team or controller-side, then proceed to grind their way to either cathartic victory or grueling defeat.
    • Round 5: "A Tecmo Black Friday" -- Starting with the last-place player in the Regular Season standings, each player is afforded a chance to call out another player as their "rival," and they battle using any matchup they mutually agree upon.  We start with the last-place player, and work up from there, until all matchups are determined.  The restriction on no repeated matchups in the Regular Season is lifted in this round, a no-holds-barred battle royale!
  • Playoffs: The Playoffs will consist of a double-elimination bracket-style tournament until only a champion remains.  The bracket will be seeded based on the Regular Season points standings, taking only the TOP 14 players from the Regular Season.  Team matchups will be selected strictly Madison-style (see below), with each player allowed to call any specific matchup one time only. 

TOURNAMENT AND IN-GAME RULES:

• Team Matchups: Madison-style matchup calling is defined in this way: Each player rolls a die (or flips a coin), and the higher number must declare the matchup, i.e. two Tecmo teams... then the lower number must choose EITHER the team they want to play with OR the controller-side, i.e. P1 or P2.  However, if players can mutually agree upon matchup/teams/controllers, they are free to do so in this tournament... however, if this scenario were to take place in the Playoffs, one player must be pinned with the matchup "call," because that portion of the tourney restricts the calling of any specific matchup a maximum of one time per player.  In the Regular Season, there is no restriction on calling any matchup one time only, and this restriction only begins with the Playoffs.
  • No rushing with WR or TE: Here is the breakdown as to who can play what position.  RBs can play RB, WR, or TE, and have no restrictions at these positions.  WRs can play RB, WR, or TE, but they may never run the ball from the running back position, only reverses from the wide receiver position.  TEs may play RB, WR, or TE, but they may never run the ball from the running back position, only reverses from the wide receiver position. 
    • NOTE: Some teams have WRs in the RB2 slot as a default (e.g. WAS and HOU), but those WRs are still not allowed to run the ball. 
    • Please help to educate your opponent as to this rule if you see that he or she does not seem to be aware of its existence.  If someone breaks the rule, call Manyo over to determine what to do next, if necessary.
  • Ties: No such thing as a “tie” in this tournament. If a game ends in a tie after overtime, a new game will begin, and the first player to score ("sudden death") in the new game is the winner.  In this case, players must use the same playbooks as they had in the regulation game.  Also, whoever received the kickoff in the first overtime must kickoff in the 2nd OT (the “new game”).
  • Lurching: To "lurch" is to use one of your defensive linemen to dive in at the very beginning of the play and either sack the QB or tackle the RB before those plays really had a chance to develop. Lurching is prohibited. If you want to rush with a DL…

When crossing over the line of scrimmage WITHIN the restricted circle (SEE GRAPHIC BELOW) with a DL, before making a play on the ball carrier, you must first bump or grapple with an opposing player who is not the ball carrier. However, there are no restrictions on DL when the offense is in the shotgun or when crossing over the line of scrimmage OUTSIDE the restricted circle."

lurching.gif

• 4th Man Down: Using the LB1 (4th man down) to attempt to block Field Goals or Extra Points WILL be allowed at anytime during this tournament.
  • Coin Toss: Do not skip the coin toss unless both players agree to do so before the game.
  • Onside Kicks: Onside kicks are allowed at any time, in any situation.
  • Nintendo Malfunctions: If there is an equipment failure in the first half, games will be replayed from the start. If equipment malfunctions in the 2nd half, only the second half is replayed. In that event, the scores from each half are added together to obtain a final score. If the game was uncompetitive, or the equipment malfunctioned due to human error, the tourney organizers reserve the right to declare a winner without replaying any portion of the game.
  • Controllers: Players are not allowed to bring their own controller to use in games.  Nor are they allowed to switch controllers on the machine without prior agreement from both players.  If there is a problem with a controller, notify your opponent AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, and if you guys can’t come to a solution on your own, ask Manyo… and again, the earlier in the game the better.  Outside controllers are welcome, but they are not allowed to travel with a player throughout the tournament.
  • Tournament Disputes: Manyo is the tournament referee. He will decide all disputes unless he is a player in the game. If he is, then Kamphuna will resolve the dispute.  If they’re both playing, then it's mob rule I guess.
  • Etiquette: It is suggested that you say good luck before, and good game after each contest.  Above all, remember to have fun, battle hard, and know that the Tecmo Gods WILL play their role in determining your fate in this tournament, and their will is beyond your puny control.

FOOD/DRINK/EXTRA: a BBQ will be available [more info about food once we get closer to tourney date]... a keg of beer (Mac N Jack African Amber) will also be available for a fee... also available: swimming pool, basketball, pickleball, whiffleball, etc.

FEES/PRIZES: $20 entry fee.  $10-$20 keg cup.  Top 3 will earn PNW medals: gold, silver, bronze.  Payouts for the Top-4 in the tournament will include the following percentages of the total pot (-$40 for the medals):

• 1st: 50%
  • 2nd: 25%
  • 3rd: 15%
  • 4th: 10%

7c0aaf75-60cf-4f68-a079-4ef29418f96f_zps

897033b3-0d0d-45be-b24d-bab458c4f5e4_zps1440154_zps99c3bbba.jpg

Edited by manYo

by the way, the themes for each Regular Season round (4-6 probably) are wide open for suggestion, so offer em up......

here are some examples from a recent tourney, Buffalo Bounty IV:

Round 1: Next man up Round...Winner of the Coin toss must pick any matchup they desire. But each coach gets to bench 1 player off there Opponents team. So for example if Rams vs Lions is called. And player 1 is Det and player 2 is rams. Player 1 van elect to bench Jim Everett and Player 2 can elect to  bench Barry Sanders. The player that has the most passing yards with any backup Qb gets $25.                          

Round 2: Trick Em Dick Em Fumble-Rooskie Round ( Ode to LuckyToolie and Chris Pike)...Winner of the coin toss can pick any matchup they desire but must have an flea-flicker in there playbook. Each coach must run the flea flicker atleast ONCE per game. EDIT: If you do not call the flea flicker its a automatic loss!!!!  1st person to GIVE UP a fumble for td wins $25.    

Round 3: REDEMPTION... Bills vs Giants...All players must call bills vs giants. Winner of coin toss must pick team ( Buf or Nyg) or controller selection. Bonus Prize: Scott Norwood Redemption Prize: 1st to make a game winning fg with Scott norwood in Ot. wins $25!!!!  ( If no o.t. game then 1st win with a Scott Norwood fg in the 4th Qtr to take  the lead.                      

Round 4: Original Playbook round. ALL players can pick any matchup but you must use original playbook. Bonus Prize: If anyone wins with the crappy phx cards playbook you win $25. Tiebreaker highest winning margin. Put phx in the matchup at your own risk!!!!!! Note:                                     

ROUND 5 Random matchup card round. Winner of coin toss must select an  random matchup card. Winner of the coin toss is the Top Team of the card and is Player 1. Each random matchup is a commonly used matchup. Ex. Kc vs Mia is in deck 10 times. Mia is on the top of card 5 times and on the bottom of the card 5 times. Bonus prize: $25 for guy with most rushing yards by a single Rb in this round with any rb.          

ROUND 6  Madison matchup style round.  See Rule 6. $25 for the guy with most rushing yards by a single Rb in this round with any rb.    

Yeah man, as Buffalo reigning champ, the final say on this year's format was up to me. One major moment that pushed it in that direction was when, after some participants at last year's Mayhem started maligning the absence of Johnny Johnson oriented shit talk, we decided to institute a Tailback Tribute round where every game was Cowboys v Cardinals.

Good times in Centralia, leading to creativity in Buffalo, which will lead to further fun back in Centralia. The Circle of Tecmo.

The wackiness of the Buffalo format I would have to say was a wild success. The last idea that entered the fray was the "Next Man Up" round which was supplied by Kevin Cabarello and I think that was the most appreciated one. It led to the occasional brutal offensive game but the strategy element was real strong.

Some other ideas of the top of the dome:

Along the lines of "Next Man Up" me and my buddies back in the day to spice up the season mode often had a rule that every offensive player had to play a quarter. Could be interesting here as well.

Perhaps instead of Bills-Giants, our redemption round could be Seahawks-Patriots or Seahawks-Steelers.

Also I'd be down to run back the Cowboys-Cards round, as well as any of the other deals from Buffalo.

Dope.

From my initial text of ideas to manyo.

Cool. I got some ideas, stouffers challenge, pro bowl, og playbooks, end of reg season with conditions for round 1

Also some version of favorite teams round. Perhaps a pretty tourney tourney of a cartridge that is at playoffs. Roll for draft order and then choose a playoff teams from end of year bracket

On 5/16/2016 at 2:44 PM, kamphuna8 said:

From my initial text of ideas to manyo.

Cool. I got some ideas, stouffers challenge, pro bowl, og playbooks, end of reg season with conditions for round 1

Also some version of favorite teams round. Perhaps a pretty tourney tourney of a cartridge that is at playoffs. Roll for draft order and then choose a playoff teams from end of year bracket

what is "stouffer's challenge"?

On 5/16/2016 at 1:54 PM, DT. said:

Yeah man, as Buffalo reigning champ, the final say on this year's format was up to me. One major moment that pushed it in that direction was when, after some participants at last year's Mayhem started maligning the absence of Johnny Johnson oriented shit talk, we decided to institute a Tailback Tribute round where every game was Cowboys v Cardinals.

Good times in Centralia, leading to creativity in Buffalo, which will lead to further fun back in Centralia. The Circle of Tecmo.

The wackiness of the Buffalo format I would have to say was a wild success. The last idea that entered the fray was the "Next Man Up" round which was supplied by Kevin Cabarello and I think that was the most appreciated one. It led to the occasional brutal offensive game but the strategy element was real strong.

Some other ideas of the top of the dome:

Along the lines of "Next Man Up" me and my buddies back in the day to spice up the season mode often had a rule that every offensive player had to play a quarter. Could be interesting here as well.

Perhaps instead of Bills-Giants, our redemption round could be Seahawks-Patriots or Seahawks-Steelers.

Also I'd be down to run back the Cowboys-Cards round, as well as any of the other deals from Buffalo.

Dope.

D.T. if you show up, me and the Cards are gonna send you pacc!n' bacc ta Buffalo N.Y. with your tail between your legs......I'll even let you use the Bills.

On 5/21/2016 at 11:37 AM, DT. said:

Bruh, keep talkin and I might show up with my #34 Thurman Thomas jersey and show you who the REAL Tailback King is....

...and of course I'm gonna show up. Not sure why I'm not on the Roster yet.

Go ahead and wear it.........I'll be draped in the crimson cape otherwise know as the 1990 authentic throwback #39 Johnny Johnson jerzey...If meeting "THE REAL" Tailback King doesn't shock, awww, and amaze you enough, just the sheer aura radiating of the Cardinal crimson red jerzey might put you in a state of hypnosis!!!  ......then you'll STILL have to play me.  Hardly seems fair, but then again life in the Tecmo World never is. 

I'm excited to bask in the aura... In fact, when I finally get the honor of battling you, I may even avoid trapping you with a cheese matchup like MIN-PHX or SD -PHX and call something more even like ATL-PHX or maybe even come at you with Seattle and really give you a chance get hidden stats on a mother. Just hope you are ready for Brian "Surprise Snares" Blades and Tommy "Big Game" Kane.

Are you sure bout that???  If you are, and you think you got what it takes, lets make that game {OFFICIAL}..........."Cards vs da Hawks".  I'll be ready.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................will you?  

(because you know who, and what is comin' atcha)

• DFM changed the title to Centralia, WA - 07/02/16 - The Pacific Northwest Tecmo Championship 5 (PNWTC5)