North Dakota - Burning Mort - The Tecmo Premier Experience

DrFrolf

The spinning wheel games that my tribe faced, as I remember them (likely different from what happened)

• Each team sets the playbook for the other team. Flea flickers everywhere. I think Flo may have still been playing at this point?
  • Regular Season, "No Picksies" set before the game. You got to choose the player that the other team could not be on defense. We choose Manny Hendrix because he was in Excellent, but I think average Holt killed us anyway.
  • Ice Hockey game. I remember playing 1st and 3rd periods. I think @QB Browns was passed out by then. I didn't score any goals in the first period as I'd never played the game before, but I figured it out and scored a bunch in the third period. But we lost by a wide margin anyway 

I think we finished that round 1-2. That  was some of the funnest Tecmo of my life.  I stand by my decision to skip all halftimes to force keg stands. At one point, Frolf and I discussed writing something in blood on the Mort #TecmoVI bracket, but it didn't materialize. We did burn it though.  The talking Dan Marino figure died a most gruesome death, I'm afraid.

Orenga's posse was definitely the biggest disappointment of the trip. I think I may have stolen a breakfast buffet plate at 3am on Friday night at the Radisson. I assumed Louis had slept in our hotel room the whole night. I never did climb the tree I set out to climb.

I think the @Child_of_Destiny lasted for the fireworks, and @Leonardite, @averagetsbplayer, @davefmurray and @DrFrolf were the only other other witnesses of the burning. Maybe @red98sethuthut ? Can't remember. What a WILD ride.

Wow, this sounds totally awesome. 

There are not many regrets I have in my life at my age.  Not making this is definitely in the Top 3.  Hopefully there is a future Burning-Mort type experience.  I WILL be there.  In the meantime, I will say "The Conjurer" in a mirror 3x/day and start saving fireworks (its Iowa so it will just be snakes and sparklers).

I needed to wait until today when I sobered up to share my Burning Mort Experience. Anyone skilled in the art of drinking knows you need to follow up with a few drinks the days following so your body doesn’t shut down from sudden alcohol withdrawal shock.

Friday we had a couple tvs and systems set up at Pounds, which offers free Tournament Edition NBA Jam and sells 40 ozs. There were a few Tecmo games played but NBA Jam was definitely the game of choice this night. Rice and Rony (@leonardite and @sonofpatbeach) went on a commanding run and taunted their competition with glee. Once it was discovered the player 4 joystick was defective the duo began to look human. Despite this disadvantage Zo and Grandmama (Tony and Durch) broke up the duo, which possibly led to Josh’s rage of throwing down barrier barrels later in the night and almost getting @drfrolf thrown in the can after being questioned by police. The highlight of the night was @davefmurray coming into the bar with his bags on his back and nobody but Joe knew he was attending. I’m still waiting on the footage of Friday night last year in Madison, apparently that will need to wait for another time.

Pounds.jpg

Saturday we rolled slowly out of bed and headed to the site around noon. Dave and I jumped on a gravel road and we started drinking local beers on the way as I educated him on the local agriculture, economy, and the life of a North Dakotan.  We arrived at the magical Burning Mort Site which 30,000 to 10,000 years ago was the beach of the great Lake Agassiz.

Burning Mort.jpg

Others have gone into detail on the opening ceremonies and Tecmo events that were played so I’ll just say a few things that stuck out in my head as the event was played. To me Josh should be awarded with the Burning Mort Spirit award. His Tecmo play was unparalleled but his fervor for keg stands was essential to the Burning Mort experience. By the end of the night he was just kneeling under the keg drinking because nobody could match his pace. Lou was my chief and a valiant one at that, he sported his headdress proudly throughout the night and the way he makes his player shake is a work of art. My only complaint was when he punted on first down because he recovered a lucky fumble. There should be no time for good sportsmanship during Burning Mort Tecmo. I was also extremely impressed with his ability to sleep on the ground without pillows or blankets despite us having a cot and pad for him. While this tournament is known as Burning Mort, it may go down in legend as Burning Mort’s brother.

578c2c55119f3_Everyonepraising.thumb.JPG.0dd6f30c88bbbe593761e98e141dff1f.JPG

As all the other North Dakota guys have said we can’t thank everyone enough for making the trip out. It ended up being the perfect crew that came and it’s hard to imagine it going any better. While the drinking and partying probably took a year off my life, all the laughs surely added two.  

Love,

Bryce Card.jpg

Edited by DionBoespflug

• DFM unpinned this topic

With no disrespect to Tecmo Madison, Burning Mort is the greatest Tecmo tournament in the Midwest. Nowhere can you find a higher concentration of Tecmo camaraderie in one setting.  It's also the best to hang out with people because it is not overcrowded with, you know, people. This year was no exception with the "upsets" of top tier talent passing out before the championship hockey game.

The way things turned out were unfortunate. I was literally an icing call away from advancing to the finals, where I surely would have won, had I garnered the favor of The Conjurer. Burning Mort really is to the advantage of those who flatter The Conjurer.

My highlight of the weekend, however, was the time spent at Poundtown playing NBA Jam TE as part of an unstoppable Rice 'n Roni duo. This weekend made me realize it's less about Tecmo for me now and more about blacking out in the woods with my shirt off with my friends. And listening to the mantra of Mort, "I believe in myself," on a loop indefinitely.

midwest.png

6 hours ago, sonofpatbeach said:

Burning Mort really is to the advantage of those who flatter The Conjurer.

... This weekend made me realize it's less about Tecmo for me now and more about blacking out in the woods with my shirt off with my friends. And listening to the mantra of Mort, "I believe in myself," on a loop indefinitely.

The quintessence of the Burning Mort Tecmo Experience.

3 minutes ago, CallMeJoeyFats said:

I still find myself saying, "Mort, the number one seed, finds himself in trouble." 

Been a a few weeks and I am still grinning about much that happened that weekend. 

Never forget.... I am reminded with each phone call.

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 5:01 PM, DrFrolf said:

Burning Mort is truly the gift that keeps on giving.

After finally shedding this entrancing beat and the legendary Mort-isms from my head, this video has brought it all back.  Thanks for the awesome video.  No thanks for the mind-control that this song will have over me again for the foreseeable future.

4 hours ago, Leonardite said:

After finally shedding this entrancing beat and the legendary Mort-isms from my head, this video has brought it all back.  Thanks for the awesome video.  No thanks for the mind-control that this song will have over me again for the foreseeable future.

I am just waiting for it to hit ITunes. 

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Beef Juice said:

If I choose to come I'm not gonna get Fyre Festival'd am I?

Wait maybe that's what is supposed to happen...

You don't choose to come to Burning Mort. 

Burning Mort chooses you. 

51 minutes ago, Beef Juice said:

If I choose to come I'm not gonna get Fyre Festival'd am I?

Wait maybe that's what is supposed to happen...

You won't get fyre'd but you will get conjured.

2 minutes ago, DrFrolf said:

You don't choose to come to Burning Mort. 

Burning Mort chooses you. 

Burning Mort II: The Chosen Ones