Songs you Associate with the Summer of Tecmo

toolie

great thread!  

C&C was the first Tape I bought.

I seem to think it was a mix of Janet Jackson, (she dominated the pop chart airwaves in MN because she produced albums there) and I grew up right where the suburbs met the boonies and Guns and Roses was basically played on a loop there until Nirvana came out.

Tecmo came out in December during my first college (COMMUNITY!) winter break. I was living in Seattle, and Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit was pretty much every other song. What Sega said tho. WHen I first moved to the PNW from Hawaii in June of 88, everything was GnR, who I had not heard of until I moved here, and then you couldn't not hear it. Sweet Child o Mine and Welcome to the Jungle were like basically on a loop on several radio stations.

OF course, I was listening to the likes of the Accused and had just seen Body Count during the first Lollapalooza, so those were huge on my playlist. And I was still gigging on NWA and Eric B and Rakim etc.

But the two friends I played tecmo with the most, we played listening to De La and later on the Beasties (Paul's Boutique was a revelation, then Check your Head just hammered us)

7 minutes ago, kamphuna8 said:

Nice on with ABC there @buck

I'd be remiss in not sharing who also was blowing it up around here in SWASS fashion, Sir MIx-a-Lot. Especially them bremelos. @DT. knows what I'm talkin bout

oh yeah - hip hop soldier

1 minute ago, buck said:

oh yeah - hip hop soldier

when I think hip hop soldiers, I think PE, especially that year "CLEAR THE WAY FOR THE S TO S1W'S!"

What a great intro to a great album, and man, that anthrax joint venture, they had a sick little Post-er-lude extra beats that ALWAYS got me hyped. PE, how could I have not mentioned them. To be honest, in 1991, they were probably king in my hip hop world at that time

while we're at it. RIP Phife. Only a couple years older than me and he had major tecmo impact. The Low End Theory "Buggin' Out" is my hype song to play hoops, but really it gets me hype for just about anything. "Ridin on a train with no dough...SUX!"

exactly, Public Enemy was so awesome.  and a TSB soundtrack for sure, at least for me because I listened to it for years and years.  my favorite PE, still to this day, is "It takes a nation of millions..."  One of the best albums of all time, imo...."I got a letter from the government, the other day..."

Then Fear of a Black Planet, pretty cool stuff....1989 a number, another summer, sound of the funky drummer*.

*funky drummer is reference to James Brown beat/sample that was in 99% of hiphop songs back then.

PE did alright with that Anthrax album, but I was mostly into the "sample stuff" (Shocklee)...shit was crazy.  too bad they outlawed sampling, because the music some dudes could make with random samples is so dam sweet.  I still listen to that stuff to this day.  Looking back, that's probably the only music that I've consistently listened to/liked, since I first heard it.

PE just knew how to make good songs - sweet intros and breaks and stuff.  they were real musicians.

I also used to play TSB and listen to Spice 1's first album, although I do not believe that was 91, more like 93 or something.

To me, Ghetto Boys (Geto Boys) "Grip It" was the hardcore version of PE, because they had sweet sample music and a real sense of music too, but talked more about street life and stuff like that (although I was never offended by it, because in a weird way, Ghetto Boys also talked about unity and freedom).  

I think the "genius" of Ghetto Boys music was Reddy Red.  But he became a crack head and quit the band before they made it big with "goddam homie, my mind's playin tricks on me"...but Reddy Red's stuff was the best.  and Willie Dee is 100% bad ass.

Edited by buck

6 minutes ago, buck said:

exactly, Public Enemy was so awesome.  and a TSB soundtrack for sure.  my favorite PE, still to this day, is "It takes a nation of millions..."  One of the best albums of all time, imo...."I got a letter from the government, the other day..."

Then Fear of a Black Planet, pretty cool stuff....1989 a number, another summer, sound of the funky drummer*.

*funky drummer is reference to James Brown beat/sample that was in 99% of hiphop songs back then.

PE did alright with that Anthrax album, but I was mostly into the "sample stuff" (Shocklee)...shit was crazy.  too bad they outlawed sampling, because the music some dudes could make with random samples is so dam sweet.

PE just knew how to make good songs - sweet intros and breaks and stuff.  they were real musicians.

There was a tone to "It Takes a Nation of Millions" , a high pitched tonal screeching to most of that album that made it certifiably identifiable. Have you heard their "Greatest Misses"? Great rendition of "Louder than a bomb" Groovy, if you will.

Apocalype 91 came out of course, in 91, and the Intro song there, and their joint remix of Bring the Noise were highlights for me, as well as Can't Truss it, More News at 11 (just for Harry Allen, the Media Assassin) and Shut em Down. But yah, I feel the same about which album is tops. Heck, even Madonna sampled them in that "sex" video song ( I don't remember it, but I was like "Dang, that's straight PE's beats" when it came out... in 91 too? Damn)

west coast rap, death row records, dj quik, tribe, pharcyde, etc.

more than music tho, i free-associate with the different kinds of beers we were drinking back in our teenaged TSB heyday: 40 oz of Mickey's, Olde E, or Steel Reserve... 18-rack of Rainier bottles... for some reason I wanna say Natural Ice was always floating around at that time for some goddam reason... sometimes we drank SoCo (black label), but those nights tended to blink out pretty quick... and then of course knife hits of the MJ: ahhhhhhh, "let's do battle!"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...