Live Tourneys Based on Yearly ROMs?

Slowtaps McGee

Hi everybody,

I read the following article the day of Tecmo XII:

http://www.polygon.com/2016/2/20/11077626/tecmo-madison-last-tournament-tribute-chet-josh-holzbauer

For those that also read it, although I don't agree with the notion that a h2h sports game could ever be "beat", the point is well taken that you top guys have this thing figured out COMPLETELY. And, the article made it seem (or just reflected) that maybe tournament play is getting stale/predictable for some of you top guys. It made me think, has anyone ever done or thought about doing live tournaments based on the outstanding yearly ROMs that are released? Apologies if I've missed discussions on this in the past, but this would keep things fresh from year to year, and kind of be an answer to some of the points made in the article about the game being "beat" so to speak.

Thanks guys, I'm a fan of this community.

15 hours ago, 2livelou said:

Hi everybody,

I read the following article the day of Tecmo XII:

http://www.polygon.com/2016/2/20/11077626/tecmo-madison-last-tournament-tribute-chet-josh-holzbauer

For those that also read it, although I don't agree with the notion that a h2h sports game could ever be "beat", the point is well taken that you top guys have this thing figured out COMPLETELY. And, the article made it seem (or just reflected) that maybe tournament play is getting stale/predictable for some of you top guys. It made me think, has anyone ever done or thought about doing live tournaments based on the outstanding yearly ROMs that are released? Apologies if I've missed discussions on this in the past, but this would keep things fresh from year to year, and kind of be an answer to some of the points made in the article about the game being "beat" so to speak.

Thanks guys, I'm a fan of this community.

I'm sure it's been considered and I believe a tourney where guys drafted teams and had them burned to a cart has happened.

Either you'd have to get a current rom burned to enough carts to play or else come up with enough computers/controllers for a tourney.

• 2 weeks later...

There are a number of reasons why I don't think this has been as popular.

1) Flash carts aren't cheap, if you don't get them sponsored, you are likely looking at about $150 + cost of console hardware, x # of stations being represented.

2) Nostalgia is a big factor in Tecmo Super Bowl Play.  The modern roms seem to be more of a novelty to mess around with casually.

3) The modern romsets don't seem to have those bugs we all love, such as Bob Nelson's insane speed, Wayne Haddix's Interceptions, and John Elway's abysmal pass control. 

As response times continue lowering on gaming monitors + cheaper portable computers like the Raspberry Pi(Retro Pi), I can see this being done via emulation as time progresses, and CRT screens + working NES consoles fade from existence.