Omaha, NE - 03/20/2016 - Bomaha Numeral Uno!

Tecmo-Mad-Brad

What?  Original Tecmo Bowl tournament

Where?  Beercade in Omaha.    6104 Maple St, Omaha, NE 68104 

When?  March 20th, 1PM

Entry fee?  $15 

Team selection?  To mirror Tecmo Madison/Lincoln process

Rules?  See full list at challonge link above.

-- Pay the day of at Beercade...but please sign up to help aid the organizers with an estimate of attendees.

-- Format of competition and Prize payouts TBD by number of attendees.  See the sign up page for more details.

-- Prize giveaway held for entrants between opening round and tournament.  

--15 Participants signed up so far.  

Edited by Tecmo-Mad-Brad

• DFM changed the title to Omaha, NE - 03/20/2016 - Bomaha Numeral Uno!
  • DFM pinned this topic
2 hours ago, Leonardite said:

Wish this wasn't on a Sunday!

Me too.  Beercade has the perfect clientele in Omaha to advertise this to.  However the basement party room its going to be held in rents for like 400 bucks (3 hours), and that's usually rented out on a Saturday.....so they didn;t want to lose a money making opportunity because of this, and they offered Sunday.  Best we could do.  

• 4 weeks later...

I had 3 shutouts just in the tournament.  Overall I gave up 7 points in 6 games.  The only score I allowed all day was a kick return TD in the 1st game.  

Overall the Beercade staff was happy with the turnout.  15 guys entered, and we had a extra guy play 1 game to round out the group play session.  Typically there were between 5 and 10 people just hanging out watching it all go down in the basement party room.  Crowd was pretty skimpy by the time we hit the last few playoff games.  By then I was finally able to start putting beers away at a fast clip, as all the organizing and running aspects of the tourney were over.  Cam was as well.

Big shout out to Knobbe.  I've attended 2 Lincoln tourneys, and have asked him many questions about running such an event.  His experience and insights were very helpful.

Edited by Tecmo-Mad-Brad

I'm posting a breakdown of how Cam and I did vs the field with some stats below.  Cam is one of two Canadians I've played against at numerous gatherings in Chicago over the years.  A friend over in Iowa would go with me, and the 4 of us would compete in a weekend long event.  Those other 2 guys couldn't make it to Omaha, but really any of us could have won this thing.  It just happened to be my day.  Over the years I've considered Cam to be the best Tecmo Bowl player I've ever faced.  That's also considering that his friend Derek has more championships in Chicago than Cam.  Cam is a guy that won't ever beat himself....in close to 40 games, I've probably gotten maybe 5 INTs against him.  He crazy methodical on offense, and rarely makes a bad decision.  Derek is more likely to have an INT prone game on offense and lose, or get too emotional and have it affect his judgement with calling a game.        

Brad/Cam 11 games the field   11-0 

PF/PA in pool play  (6 games) 206-10

PF/PA in tournament  (5 games)  130-0

The closest games we participated in against the field were..... Me> 21-0 in the playoffs vs Ben (3rd place). 

Cam won a 20-3 game in pool play vs Jeff, who I later defeated 30-0 in the playoffs.  Cam did not face Ben in the competition.  

Edited by Tecmo-Mad-Brad

Ben who won 3rd place is a guy I'd never played before,  but talked strategy with over the last year or so.  He's fundamentally sound on defense which is great, but he's unable to put together complex systematic schemes.  Inexperience in 2 player games, and the learning curve are working against him in that area.  But I think he's well on the path to becoming a really good player.  Problem being, I know our crew is elite in all facets.  Every time I play one of our 3 guys I know I'm facing someone who's crazy skilled and knows virtually every little details about each team and each match-up.  That experience in EVERY game you play really makes you a great player in return.  I've played nearly 100 games just against the Canadians.  and Hundreds more vs Nate who is virtually my equal.  Ben's friends are nowhere near that level.  He'll struggle to get battle tested, and really know what it takes to win at this level.     

Ben was undefeated vs the field until I knocked him out of the playoffs.  He could slow me down somewhat, but was unable to bring much in the way of adjustments.  He made some mistakes on offense as well.  I was up 14-0 at the half, and that game was over, but I was impressed by him.   

Adding Ben who uses my teaching into the fray of records vs the field, that put us at 16-0.  Hell, my brother in law who I trained for an hour, 10 days before the tourney was only 2 of 5 opponents from the field to actually score vs Ben.  Ben made me proud to have a pretty good showing at the tourney.   

Edited by Tecmo-Mad-Brad

In RBI Baseball, I've met guys who have "it"....they have a certain hand eye coordination at the plate that's remarkable.  One motherfucker at a tourney would not swing at a pitch if it wasn't a strike.  Or they have the gift of pitching and NEVER hanging anything.  That's just sheer physical talent which you could somewhat acquire from playing the CPU.  But RBI is mostly a 1 on 1 game with out a lot of moving parts.

However in Tecmo Bowl, I'm about as good of a QB as you will see.  I can pick the shit apart of a defense in tight windows without using cheat slants.  But I had to hone my skills over time, and I did so vs guys who could actually call and play defense the right way.  The Tecmo CPU doesn't pose much of a challenge in that same regard.....obviously Tecmo and RBI are completely games requiring different skills.  Over the years I've found that the best Tecmo Bowl players have to work at it in a lot of 2 players games.  Playing the CPU and bums off the street won't get you to an elite level.

You might be able to blow out shitty players by 45 points, but when you face a legit guy who knows how defense works, its rude awakening time.      

Edited by Tecmo-Mad-Brad

There was a guy there by the name of James, who if not for being in a tough side of the bracket should have been the legit 4th place finisher.  He had what looked to be the best offense behind Cam and I, however neither of us played him.  Ben eliminated him from the playoffs by a score 20-17.  Ben had only allowed 7 points in his previous 4 games.

I plan to play that guy sometime this spring to get a better look at his offense.  He did the deep drop offense where he runs his QB back like 15 yards then throws to a WR.  Really puts some stress on the defense if you don't know how to handle it.  Its got a flaw though as you don't really know if the defender is covering the short guy, the deep guy or hanging somewhere in the middle.  I'll figure out some plans to stop it, and I may also look to implement it at some point.   

• Knobbe unpinned this topic