Tecmo XII: Madison Media Coverage

RetroNathan

Thought I would start a separate thread for the media coverage that came from Tecmo XII, that way, everyone can experience how far this has reached just this year alone. A phenomenal tournament, and conversations that will last a life time. 

If anyone else has further media of the tournament this year, please add it below. 

ESPN video coverage: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:14811841

WMTV NBC 15 in Madison: http://www.nbc15.com/home/headlines/Tecmo-Super-Bowl-Nintendo-Tournament-in-Madison-369552871.html

Polygon article: http://www.polygon.com/2016/2/20/11077626/tecmo-madison-last-tournament-tribute-chet-josh-holzbauer

Interview on Fox Sports Radio with Dan Beyer and Mike Harmon that I did this morning, talking Tecmo Madison, Tundra Bowl, and Tecmo Super Bowl in general:

Edited by Knobbe
emded the channel 15 video

14 hours ago, davefmurray said:

lol at the Bill Brasky-esque way they described me in the summary of the podcast.

1 hour ago, davefmurray said:

Are you wanting to post everything here? I scrape & catalog all press for T-Borg and have like 75 URLs about the tournament. Your thread beat me to the punch so no need for me to make another.

Sure, whatever works best for you brother. I just thought there would be some benefit in making a thread for people that were looking for information on the tournament recap and media on the forums. 

12 minutes ago, segathonsov said:

The bearded 38-year-old from Lincoln, Nebraska

A reminder to everyone to be careful about what photos you post on Facebook if you're friends with people from North Dakota.

4 hours ago, segathonsov said:

I hate to be critical, cause it truly was a good article, and I'm sure I can speak for many, that we are so appreciative of him and his story.  He and I talked at the Plaza for a while, about what the lead would be given how Gats didn't want to give his name.  He went as far as to consider leaving out the outcome type of stuff because of it, which I thought may have been a good idea.  I thought it was strange leading with that particular story of him remaining anonymous, when there are certainly a number of storylines that could have portrayed Tecmo in a better light, and make for a better story.  In addition, I plan to make it a commitment to contradict the stories' sentiment, that this is, as we know it - The end of Tecmo.  #LongLiveTecmo

Edited by modeezie

9 minutes ago, modeezie said:

I hate to be critical, cause it truly was a good article, and I'm sure I can speak for many, that we are so appreciative of him and his story.  He and I talked at the Plaza for a while, about what the lead would be given how Gats didn't want to give his name.  He went as far as to consider leaving out the outcome type of stuff because of it, which I thought may have been a good idea.  I thought it was strange leading with that particular story of him remaining anonymous, when there are certainly a number of storylines that could have portrayed Tecmo in a better light, and make for a better story.  In addition, I plan to make it my passion to contradict the stories' theme, that this is, as we know it - The end of Tecmo.  #LongLiveTecmo

I agree about the Theme there odeez

Coming from my persepctive it would have been nice if there was at least one small section about how tecmo super bowl is still "alive" online( t-borg, facebook page, leagues, hacks)  

But overall a good piece on the tourney. Although i dont think gats has logged 60,000 hrs as one commenter noticed

4 minutes ago, bruddog said:

Although i dont think gats has logged 60,000 hrs as one commenter noticed

agreed.  25,000 online games X 20 min. per game comes out to 8333 hours.  take into account his youth, and admitted lack of previous console play, it doesn't really come close to 60,000 hours.

On 3/4/2016 at 3:16 PM, modeezie said:

He went as far as to consider leaving out the outcome type of stuff because of it, which I thought may have been a good idea.  I thought it was strange leading with that particular story of him remaining anonymous, when there are certainly a number of storylines that could have portrayed Tecmo in a better light, and make for a better story.

Full disclosure for those who weren't aware but Mike (writer) and I are buddies. I've been in touch with Mike throughout the process, and while I'm sure there are some journalistic confidentiality notes that I was privy to, I do feel comfortable divulging this in his defense- His editors were *FASCINATED* by the character of "JoeyGats." Like, they could not believe that a guy who won a tournament of this magnitude, after this many years, wanted to remain as completely anonymous as possible. Mike did what he could to try and quench their thirst for Gats anecdotes. So, just keep that in mind if you re-read the story. The editors were in love with the mythical Gats figure (so much so that we half-joked that you may see an ESPN doc in 20 years "Finding JoeyGats").

from my perspective - watching/reading about Joey Gats over the years - him winning this Madison tournament, in all it's recent pomp and circumstance, is beyond storybook.  it is a tale for the ages.  

he is a mythical figure and it is a mythical story that needs to be told.  a tale of redemption and 2nd chances.  a tale of putting one's money where one's mouth is.  a tale of huge balls.