Sign in to follow this  
War Machine

Thunderdome VIII FINAL 3! Video RECAPS and Information

SPOILER ALERT!  If you haven’t watched any of the region final games and don’t want to be spoiled, don’t read any further. The information below is mainly for the participants remaining in the tournament. 

The final 3 is now set!  Because I wanted to avoid any byes in this tournament, it made the end of this tournament a little awkward with 3 teams remaining.  Its not perfect but what can you do.  

Here is how it will play out:

• Regulator will play Coconuts in a PIT-DAL-PHX-JETS tier of matchups.  The winner of this match moves to Championship game.

• The loser of the Regulator vs Coconuts match, will play DT in a PIT-DAL-PHX-JETS tier matchup.  If DT wins, he moves to championship game and eliminates his opponent from the tournament.  If it plays out this way, the championship game will be NE-SEA one game and winner takes all (no double elimination).

• <If necessary> If DT loses to the Regulator/Coco loser then this is where it gets convoluted.  DT will play the same opponent again but in a GB-NO-CLE-ATL tier matchup.  Winner of that 2nd game moves to championship and eliminates the loser of that game from the tournament.  They then must beat the Reg/Coco winner twice to win the tournament.

• If it plays out where the championship game is a double elimination like in the red above, then game 1 is NE-SEA matchup.  If the Reg/Coco winner loses that game, game 2 will be NE-SEA matchup again but teams and P1/P2 reversed.

Edited by War Machine

was round robin an option for the 3 remaining players?

Have them all play each other once then take the 2 best win/loss to the championship game with point differential being the tie breaker.

Great Job with the videos (love the videos) and keeping the tournament moving smoothly.

Edited by suicideking81

Ya its not quite ideal

The Reg-coc winner is in the drivers seat if they know they get 2 games to win 1. 

DT is in the second best spot. Getting 2 games to win 1 to advance to the final

The Reg-coc loser will have to win 4 straight games...yikes

To be honest, it wasnt in consideration because I never thought of it!  lol.  I really tried to keep it single/double elimination as much as possible so focused on options related to that style.  

I did post that I was open to suggestions in the sign up thread I believe in response to your (Suicide) questions on the format.  Nobody sent me anything so just moved on with the way it is now.  In hindsight, i probably should've posted something separate instead of buried in the sign up thread that people probably didnt read.  

Thunderdome Final 3 Game Recap:

(1) Regulator (NYJ)

vs

(2) Coconuts (PIT)

One of the most anticipated matchups of the tourney comes to fruition and oh boy did it deliver!!  Regulator wins the toss and goes with the Jets while Coconuts rolls with the Steelers.  What a way to kickoff the Final 3 with a Tecmo classic!

Thunderdome Final 3 Semi-final Game Recap:

(6) D.T. (PIT)

vs

(2) Coconuts (DAL)

After a heartbreaking loss to Regulator, Coconuts looks to regroup and begin his quest to the title game.  He needs to beat DT twice to advance, and this is leg 1 of his journey.  D.T. has been the giant killer in this tournament and he looks to add another skin to his collection.  DT has been riding his "underdog" status for motivation and we shall see if he's able to pull it off again.

DT wins the toss and takes the Steelers while coconuts takes the Cowboys.  GG!

yeah the downside to this finals format is that, to win, the loser of the first game has to beat the other two guys twice each (whereas Reg will only need to win two games).  More equitable would probably be to have DT play Reg and then if DT wins have coco/Reg play again and the winner play DT for the title (somebody has to have an advantage it seems with three people).  If Reg wins then coco vs. Reg and coco has to win twice.  But it's a bit late to change the rules now.

8 minutes ago, ziurziur said:

It's going to have to be revised, this format.  Reg has this in the bank unless he chokes 

1 minute ago, ziurziur said:

Another suggestion is to revise the coin toss rules in general. Coin toss winner picks team and gets home field adv. 

Thanks for the extra motivation, and that is how we're doing it now. Unless you meant loser gets home field adv. 

Duly noted gentlemen.  For coin toss, it was kept as it was over the years.  Me personally, i prefer picking 2nd so i can match up best with my opponent's team while his team can be exposed in certain areas if I choose wisely.  Sure, for those that have a go-to team in a certain tier, it is advantageous to win the toss.  All of this will be under consideration for next years Thunderdome.  i tried to just keep everything similar but messed up the final 3 format.  

Edited by War Machine

NE/SEA anything can happen in a 2 game sequence. But yes, me losing twice in a row to someone hasn't happened probably since Gats and I used to play 100's of games in a month back in 2010. GL to Coco/DT

This has been great practice for Madison so thank you again War for running a smooth operation.

Thunderdome Final 3 Semi-final Game 2 Recap:

(6) D.T. (ATL)

vs

(2) Coconuts (NO)

Unfortunately, the video had an issue.  We're going to have to do this the old school way.  The winner sent me the recap so i've copied and pasted it below as described by the winner.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, after 2 other games between the two of us, it was time to do battle yet again for the third and final time in one evening. DT wins the toss yet again, and chooses ATL. I went with the Saints. Heyward gets the rock on the KO and promptly gets it inside the ATL 35. Held to a FG, but it's blocked by Deion! ATL fumbles and NO recovers, NO scores, 7-0.

ATL KR is fumbled, NO recovers. A short while later, its 14-0. At the end of the half, Rison hauls in a pass and runs forever for the half ending score, 14-7.

A safety occurs, and its 16-7. NO would get another big return from Ironhead, and score another TD for the 23-7 score. ATL gets a FG to make it 23-10, but NO would tack on another TD to ice it, 30-10. I'm pretty sure there was another fumble in there I missed, maybe a punt or two, I thought ATL had 3 giveaways on the day.

GG DT, excellent, excellent run! It's a damn shame that it ended like that. Tecmo didn't even really give you a chance in this one. Until we meet again in a few weeks man!

SAINTS 30

FALCONS 10

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Congratulations to Coconuts for pulling off a difficult feat in defeating DT twice.  Coconuts now has his chance at redemption vs Regulator in what should be a great matchup.  I will be creating a separate thread for the Championship game.  

Live and learn...still a great production war. Next one just needs another region to make it an even bracket. No discussion then!