Tecmo Madison to end its run this year

Some fun trivia heading into our final tournament. I will update all of this information after the tournament, for posterity's sake.

*didn't attend #TecmoXI: Apocalipps Now

^not attending our last tournament, #TecmoXII: There's Something About Barry

-----

1) Only two Elite 8 players from #TecmoX made the Elite 8 at #TecmoXI - Coconuts and Skunker. That is quite an achievement for those two. In the double-elim Elite 8 era, only two other players have reached back-to-back Elite 8s: some dudes named Regulator and Chet. Sadly, Skunker's Tecmo career appears to be over. The curse of the second baby did him in. Skunkerofbestinworld now resides in the Tecmo graveyard next to his nemesis bestinworld. Can Coco make it three in a row this year? Our Twitter poll on "best to never win it" was quite high on him, and he's riding high after his Tundra Bowl championship.

2) #TecmoXI showed no mercy towards former champs. Only one former champion even made the Elite 8 (Beach). Of course, Regulator didn't make the trip (poor family planning), so he's hoping to make a statement in #TecmoXII. I expect at least 2 former champions to make the Elite 8 this year. It's about pride at this point. Look out for proud former champions looking to forge their Madison legacy.

3) Most consecutive Sweet 16s going into last tournament: Chet (5), Regulator (3)*, Arncoem (3)*, Beach (3), O'Toole (2), Diaz (2)^, Skunker (2)^, Orenga (2), Coconuts (2), and O'Dell (2).

4) If you run into Peter K (moonwalk) at the tournament, congratulate him on his 10th anniversary! He will be joining the following distinguished players in the 10-year club: Holzy bros, Bailey (QB_Browns), Joe J, Durch (the CoD), Johnny Tecmo, Flo, and the Rikster (RikFenny). Some fun facts about these guys:

• Peter K came up with the beautiful coin flip solution between Tecmos V and VI. We still use this today. He finished runner-up in #TecmoI, and won the championship in #TecmoIII. He currently resides in the land of Elway.
  • QB_Browns is best known for blacking out the night before tournaments, and of course ending Sobhi's Tecmo career in #TecmoIX. He also keeps the trains running on time on tournament day.In his free time, he has been known to co-direct other tournaments.
  • No one plays more exciting/booze-drenched group play games than Flo and the CoD. 
  • Rik remains a tough out in the tournament every year, but he saves his best performances for the Tecmo Ryder Cup, where he is near-unbeatable in singles and doubles play, and remains the only person to hold the Tecmo Ryder Cup twice. He has remained the beacon of common sense for the tournament directors over the years, and calls holzy11 "Chet Goodell" to this day.
  • Johnny Tecmo is, inexplicably, a Cowboys fan. But we forgive him for that, since he's an overall nice guy, and hasn't missed a tournament in a decade.
  • Joe J once lost 6 games in a single tournament.

5) Accolades: 

• Most Final Fours: Chet (4), Skunker (4)^, Sobhi (4)^, Beach (3), Regulator (3), Peter K (3), Jay H (2), Jimmy B (2), Mort (2), Troy H (2), Daboy (2).
  • Most Elite 8s: Chet (7), Beach (5), Skunker (5)^, Peter K (5), Sobhi (4)^, Jay H (4), Regulator (3), Mort (3).
  • Most Elite 8s without a final 4 appearance: Rico (2), O'Dell (2), Orenga (2), Chris V (2)^, Adam Garbage (2)^.
  • Best Player to never make Elite 8 (just my opinion): SconnieAle. I got lucky and knocked him out of #TecmoIV via Steve Young shenanigans, thus depriving all of us of the chance to watch Sobhi and Sconnie duke it out in Madison. The man is Betty Crocker: he creates offense where none exists, like cakes from scratch. Or something to that effect.
  • 50-win club: Chet (59), Beach (53)
  • 40-win club: Skunker (49)^, Peter K (40).
  • 30-win club: Sobhi (39)^, Rikfenny (37), Mort (36), Jimmy "Air" B (34), Orenga (33), Jay H (32), Regulator (31), O'Dell (31), LuckyTool (30), Rico (30), Flo (30)
  • 25-win club: Psycho (27), Adam Garbage (27)^, QB_Browns (27), Bigmv54 (26)^, Troy H (PrimeTime) (25)
  • Most losses in tournament history: Joe J. (Dirty Waters) - 23^. This record could be tied by either QB_Browns (20) or Johnny Tecmo (20). It should be noted that all 3 of these players has a 40+ win percentage. Just a lot of games over the years.

----------

*didn't attend #TecmoXI: Apocalipps Now

^not attending our last tournament, #TecmoXII: There's Something About Barry

Edited by sonofpatbeach

On 2/13/2016 at 4:31 PM, red98sethuthut said:

Nice writeup. Atleast the Sconnie vs Sobhi matchup was played in one of minnesota tournies. Sconnie won it with the hail mary Jj's. Who would of guessed it.

I was actually at that game. It was my first live tourney I had ever been to. I had no idea who those two guys were. It was milliards Meyhem I. I remember Sconnie being the loudest and most obnoxious guy there. And I caught a couple of his games and couldnt believe the luck he was getting. Catching 20-30 yard JJ's consistently with TB receiver Carrier. Sobhi in that tourney had a wrap on his right hand cause of a gout flare up, but it didnt affect him at all as he was a really fast tapper. But in the game againt sconnie, the JJ's were mentally debilitating to Sobhi, you could tell that he almost expected him to catch them all by the end of the game. It was crazy.

8 minutes ago, justinpeters51 said:

I was actually at that game. It was my first live tourney I had ever been to. I had no idea who those two guys were. It was milliards Meyhem I. I remember Sconnie being the loudest and most obnoxious guy there. And I caught a couple of his games and couldnt believe the luck he was getting. Catching 20-30 yard JJ's consistently with TB receiver Carrier. Sobhi in that tourney had a wrap on his right hand cause of a gout flare up, but it didnt affect him at all as he was a really fast tapper. But in the game againt sconnie, the JJ's were mentally debilitating to Sobhi, you could tell that he almost expected him to catch them all by the end of the game. It was crazy.

On 2/9/2016 at 3:46 PM, Dotdon said:

We need someone to step up to become the next Madison.  Des Moines anyone?!?

There wasn't anything blocking anyone from hosting a tournament larger than Madison before now if they had the aspiration.

4 hours ago, Knobbe said:

There wasn't anything blocking anyone from hosting a tournament larger than Madison before now if they had the aspiration.

Agreed.  Madison cannot be duplicated, and probably shouldn't be. Those organizers and followers had a simple model and grew in popularity with little effort.  The hosting part was a giant effort, that we all recognize.

Not sure if Retro World Series or other decedents of Tecmo Madison will attempt to hold that torch, but in the mean time, there are some fun tournaments out there to keep the live Tecmo experience going.  Including, (but not limited to) Tundra, Tomczak, Tupa, Lincoln, Midwest, CT, PNW, Buffalo, Kumite, AZ, Indy, Texas, and rebooting in summer 2016, Iowa Tecmo 3.

I think everyone has that same desire to meet in one place for the big one every year.  There is some potential in that above list to be that big one but not sure anyone reading this thread will decide that direction.

doing a large tournament will have to be a group effort. If we in the Tecmo community help and support each others tournaments one could possibly grow as big as Madison was. I travel alot to attend tournaments even though my chances of winning are slim. I travel to tournaments because I enjoy hanging out with a bunch of guys who share the same interest as me and to show my support for their tournament. With out the players supporting each other these tournaments wouldn't exist.

New guy here. Bummed out I never made it to a Madison Tourney. I think having a bunch of tournaments creates a circuit. There isn't any options in the south, and I want to change that. If there was a Tournament of Champions where the winners of the individual live tourneys, including some of the online tourneys, would create interest in the smaller tournaments.