Tecmo Madison to end its run this year

the date of the prior tournaments have always conflicted with my work and family commitments. This years date fell perfectly into place for me to attend so I say...THANK YOU!!!

It sad to see it go but we all know how important family and life in general is compared to Tecmo. I wish you guys the best of luck and health for you and your family in all of your future endeavors.

Edited by suicideking81

2 hours ago, sonofpatbeach said:

Just wanted to post this as far in advance of "TecmoXII: There's Something About Barry" as possible.

There are a lot of reasons why this will be our last tournament, but mainly it boils down to family and work commitments.  We'd rather do it really well one last time than do it halfheartedly for a few more years.

We thank all of you for being supporters and/or participants in our tournament over the years.

We expect a fair amount of comments, which is why we've created a separate thread for this (in addition to the #TecmoXII thread). Please post any comments/questions regarding the end of the tournament on this thread rather than on the #TecmoXII thread.

As the pinnacle of the Tecmo tournaments, I am grateful for all of the years you, the Madison folks, and those that the many other countless volunteers have poured into this event. You all have truly been a class act, run your tournaments with impeccable precision, and are good people to top it all off. I know I speak for many when I say thank you for the chance to get together with others across this fine nation to play the game we all grew to love. While I am sad to see it go, know that your work, dedication, and passion for the tournaments have been passed on to numerous other tournament organizers that have been inspired by you all. Hopefully, as a collective community of tournament organizers, we will be able to provide even a fraction of the entertainment and camaraderie that your tournament has offered us over the years. Thank you for everything, and I look forward to seeing you all at Tecmo XII. 

I live in FL and have never been able to attend.  I was hoping someday I could make it...  Maybe some years from now it will be rekindled, and I'll still be able to fulfill that dream!  While not attending, I always enjoyed watching the videos and writeups from the tourney.  Thank you to all who have been involved!

I am sitting in a Mexican restaurant in Noblesville, IN trying to digest my food and this news.  I have played Tecmo Super Bowl for the better part of 24 years.  In 2010 I started playing online Tecmo after finding the Repository.  It was there where I viewed the YouTube video about Tecmo Madison.  From that very moment I told myself I was going, even if by myself, I was going.  I have not missed a tournament since.  

I cannot express the joy that all of you have put in my heart the past five years.  It is because of this very tournament that I continued to play this game competitively.   I can honestly say that it has made me the player that I am.  Every tournament I attend tries to emulate just a small moment of what Madison brings.  Tecmo Madison gave me a bond with my son that very few can boast about.  Thank you for all the hard work and countless hours of time and thought process that you guys have invested in making this game what it is.

Even more so, thank you for doing what it right. While Tecmo had brought me great joy, it has also put a great strain on my family.  Mainly my wife.  She journeyed with me to the Hoss Whisper and has been a reluctant supporter of my play.  Each year she reminds me where my priorities are.  I spoke with you about this the last time we talked.  I will thoroughly enjoy playing this year, and can rest more easily that I will not be planning trips six hours away a year in advance anymore.  I too will follow with more time for my priorities.

Again, you guys are the best.  Good luck as you move forward in your endeavors and with your families.

It's sad to see it go but totally understandable, I guess we all have to grow up sometime.  Thank you guys so very much for all you've done for the Tecmo community.  It's truly been a pleasure to not only know you guys but to participate (albeit poorly) in your tournaments.    Thanks again for all the great Tecmo.

Sincerely,

Hubz

• 1 month later...

Guys it has been an honor to attend such a classy tournament the past two years. I can't wait to have one last run with you all this year. I can only imagine the work and strain it puts on your families to run a tournament this large every year. Hats off to you gentlemen well done! And just in case your wondering "SonOfPatBeach"...  if this was a ploy to get out of coming to my high stakes tournament in Texas it isn't going to work! You still have to come south as agreed!! Ashman cometh for the last time!! 

Edited by Jimmy1996
forgot line

This is depressing but totally understandable.  I was wondering when you announced Tecmo XII how long you'd go.  This tourney has been a blast ever since I discovered it at Tecmo VII.  Can't think you guys enough for all you do in terms of work, time, and effort.  My only regret is I never get enough time to talk to the staff to express my gratitude and to just shoot the breeze because they are just so busy with this undertaking.

Hopefully you/we all continue to hold tourneys, Ryder Cups, etc.  We need someone to step up to become the next Madison.  Des Moines anyone?!?

15 hours ago, Dotdon said:

This is depressing but totally understandable.  I was wondering when you announced Tecmo XII how long you'd go.  This tourney has been a blast ever since I discovered it at Tecmo VII.  Can't think you guys enough for all you do in terms of work, time, and effort.  My only regret is I never get enough time to talk to the staff to express my gratitude and to just shoot the breeze because they are just so busy with this undertaking.

Hopefully you/we all continue to hold tourneys, Ryder Cups, etc.  We need someone to step up to become the next Madison.  Des Moines anyone?!?

Des Moines, Iowa has promise and I'd be heavily involved in hosting a tournament at that location, but to replace the Madison tournament (*can't be replaced*) would entail a location that can accommodate the masses.  With the vast majority of players coming from Wisconsin, then MN, IL MI, IN, OH.

And as much as I hate to admit it, geographically, Madison is the center of the universe for Tecmo.

I'm in favor of the satellite tournaments where they are, and growing them to see which one brings in the most participants.  I hear Nate's TundraBowl does really well, Tomczak bowl has been doing well, Godfather's Lincoln tourney getting over 40 participants.  I know suicideking has a following down south, and Louis has a respectable Buffalo tourney, the Kumite brings in quality players, and even Manyo out west can get a following.

Des Moines has a respectable airport, plenty of hotels, can get the 20+ players from Lincoln to come over, get the Tomczak locals, the most popular PM sports radio show is all in favor of pimping the tournament, Jeremy S has hosted in suburb Boundurant in the past (getting up to 20 players) so again, it has some promise.

I think in order to have a tournament the size and success of Madison, it would need to be blessed involve consulting from Chet/Josh/other organizers. I'm hoping (but assuming) that consulting is already in the works to keep Madison going with its current popularity.

Before hosting 4 Kumite tournaments in Detroit, I hosted the lone Chicago tournament on the books, and we drew 50 guys on that October afternoon in 2010.  I got a ton of help with format and organization on game day from Bailey and the Holzbauers, as I learned: you just can't do things on your own, let alone, with that many guys.  

As the days leading up to the last Madison tournament close in on us, I think more and more about what is next?  I've had discussions over the years with a handful of guys about how Chicago ultimately is a great location to host a tournament.  Count me in on the (hopeful) vast planning committee!

Personally, I think instead of speculation and mapping out potential locations for a tournament "replacement" or what have you, we need to sit tight and see how things are going to shake out. I know that Josh, Chet, and the organizers are definitely not just going to let this all drift into oblivion without a blessing/plan, etc. They want to ensure that the Tecmo Community is in good hands, and whether that be Madison specifically or the future elsewhere, we have to trust that, especially since they built the greatest tournament there is from the ground up. I know it's fun to speculate and make assumptions and things, but the best thing right now is to give it time. I can guarantee we will know much more in the near future. 

Thanks @noonan for the nod, much appreciated brother.

There is nothing wrong with looking for a new location for the "Big" Tecmo tournament.

While guys are throwing cities around I'm going to throw Dallas in the mix.

Dallas has two airports with relatively low airfare from anywhere in the country, especially through Southwest airlines who's main hub is at one of the airports. The weather, if done at the same time as Madison was held, would be great and NOT below freezing. Its a great city which offers many things to do outside of Tecmo.

Only time will tell where/when the next "Main Event" for Tecmo takes place. But let's not stop the discussion on potential cities because we need one huge gathering a year no matter where it is.

On 2/9/2016 at 0:48 AM, Jimmy1996 said:

Guys it has been an honor to attend such a classy tournament the past two years. I can't wait to have one last run with you all this year. I can only imagine the work and strain it puts on your families to run a tournament this large every year. Hats off to you gentlemen well done! And just in case your wondering "SonOfPatBeach"...  if this was a ploy to get out of coming to my high stakes tournament in Texas it isn't going to work! You still have to come south as agreed!! Ashman cometh for the last time!! 

High stakes? Tecmo? Yes and Yes.

On 2/10/2016 at 11:55 AM, modeezie said:

Before hosting 4 Kumite tournaments in Detroit, I hosted the lone Chicago tournament on the books, and we drew 50 guys on that October afternoon in 2010.  I got a ton of help with format and organization on game day from Bailey and the Holzbauers, as I learned: you just can't do things on your own, let alone, with that many guys.  

I'm always available to be an on-site Tournament Director, after several years of running 200+ guys on the day of to allow people with a chance of winning (like the Holzbauers) the ability to do so I think I can handle almost anything. 

On 2/9/2016 at 0:50 PM, Knobbe said:

I just wanted to note that Tecmo Madison is the reason this site has a Tecmo Tournaments section and the reason why I started doing tournaments again in Lincoln.

We all know the real reason you're doing tourneys in Lincoln again: the women that instinctively flock to these events like moths drawn to the flame. And how you love to burn them, you sick bastard.

On 2/10/2016 at 0:20 PM, RetroNathan said:

Personally, I think instead of speculation and mapping out potential locations for a tournament "replacement" or what have you, we need to sit tight and see how things are going to shake out. I know that Josh, Chet, and the organizers are definitely not just going to let this all drift into oblivion without a blessing/plan, etc. They want to ensure that the Tecmo Community is in good hands, and whether that be Madison specifically or the future elsewhere, we have to trust that, especially since they built the greatest tournament there is from the ground up. I know it's fun to speculate and make assumptions and things, but the best thing right now is to give it time. I can guarantee we will know much more in the near future. 

Well said.

1st off. Hats off to Chet H.,Josh H., Tony O. , And Jon b.  For running Tecmo madison all theseyears._________________________________The following post is food for thought to be digested or made fun in the future.... 1. CHICAGO is a No-Brainer for the location. Its a hub. 2. We should think Bigger...Why not have a Week of Tecmo!!  Hell call it the World series of Tecmo. Keep all current tournaments as a Satellite entry into the Main Event. Have all sorts of different styles of Tecmo events all in 1 week or weekend. Like a High Roller Tournament, Season-Mode Contest, Fg Kicking Contest, Juice off Contest, Bounty style tournanment ( based on your track record.. ), Rookies only tournament, Double-Up Tournament  ( Half the field gets paid), Goal-line Stand Contest , Super Nintendo Tecmo tourney, Tecmo III Tournament ( I didn't forgot about Ray in philly ),  Updated Rom on Cartridge Tournament, Draft a team put it on a Cart have a Tournament ( Similar to Ryan Mckays tourney when we Re-drafted the players from 91, put it on Cart had a tourney), Ryder Cup,  Main Event. You pay $250 to play in W.S.O.T. You pick 6 to 8 of those events to play in.                                                                   3. Or like Mort says there's nothing wrong with us everyone meeting and just playing pick up games for whole weekend. Meetup, block out an hotel. Get a bunch of games in.  

On 2/10/2016 at 1:20 PM, RetroNathan said:

10 minutes ago, sonofpatbeach said:

Well said.

And with that, the conspiracy is born! #TecmoXIII