Sign in to follow this  
PockyCandy

Star Wars Episode VII

On 1/26/2016 at 1:06 AM, TecmoSuperFan said:

In the Empire Strikes Back he had his hand cut off, thus dropping the Lightsaber with his hand still attached. Still wonder who retrieved it and why.

Vader took it after an Ugnaught found it, along with the hand. Gave it to the Emperor, who used the hand in one of his Spaarti cloning cylinders on the planet Wayland. Joruus C'Baoth trained the clone of Luke until it was killed by Mara Jade. In other news, I know too much Star Wars...

Edited by Coconuts

Watched it with the boy today...was entertaining, though too much recycled I thought. And man, don't it make ya feel old.

Edited by drake

was there a backlash from "gays" because there wasn't any accented or obvious "gay" organisms in Star Wars???  wtf?

jeez.  since when is "hollywood" supposed to "be inclusive"?  I thought people made movies that they either wanted to make due to an artistic vision or to make money, or both.  I didn't realize, until recently, that "hollywood" is supposed to "represent" all cultures, vices, races, etc.  

it seems like the dude (Abrams) is just coming out and admitting that "hollywood" is essentially a propaganda machine.  

3 minutes ago, buck said:

was there a backlash from "gays" because there wasn't any accented or obvious "gay" organisms in Star Wars???  wtf?

jeez.  since when is "hollywood" supposed to "be inclusive"?  I thought people made movies that they either wanted to make due to an artistic vision or to make money, or both.  I didn't realize, until recently, that "hollywood" is supposed to "represent" all cultures, vices, races, etc.  

it seems like the dude (Abrams) is just coming out and admitting that "hollywood" is essentially a propaganda machine.  

What exactly are you worried about?

Hollywood is supposed to be inclusive if it wants to make money. Or as inclusive as the society it takes money from wants it to be. Look back at seminal, cherished films from 20-30 years ago and you'll see / hear things that could NEVER happen today. The character "Short Round" from Temple of Doom always comes to mind for me. Holy shit is the dialogue that kid spouts racist. This is how it was / is / will be. Sometimes big machines like Hollywood don't keep pace with our progressive society and receives criticism. This criticism would ultimately be meaningless if there weren't financial ramifications. If there were enough people that held your views, it would matter to them just as much. But there aren't, at least as far as the movie going crowd is concerned. What's changed? 

If you're looking for uncompromising artistic vision in Hollywood, you're looking in the wrong place. 

9 minutes ago, SirTed said:

Hollywood is supposed to be inclusive if it wants to make money. Or as inclusive as the society it takes money from wants it to be. 

Yup

giphy.gif

Hollywood is only as inclusive as it has to be to generate $$$ and better-than-above-average publicity.

"Only 3.4 percent of the 109 films released by major Hollywood studios in 2014 were directed by women, according to a new study. Only two of those women were black. About 87 percent of directors across 414 films and television shows studied were white." - TheGuardian.com

Edited by Maynard_G_Krebs

I was just wondering if some "gay" man or woman didn't go watch star wars because there arent' any obvious "gay" organisms portrayed in the movie.  That could be cause for "including" some accented or obvious "gay" behavior in the movie...I suppose.

I guess I just don't understand why a star wars fan would want to watch C3P0 fuck chewbacca in the ass for 3 hours with his eternal (until batteries run out) robot boner.   or what sexuality or "gay behavior" or "gay organisms" have to do with star wars in the first place.

Edited by buck

1 hour ago, Maynard_G_Krebs said:

Hollywood is only as inclusive as it has to be to generate $$$ and better-than-above-average publicity.

"Only 3.4 percent of the 109 films released by major Hollywood studios in 2014 were directed by women, according to a new study. Only two of those women were black. About 87 percent of directors across 414 films and television shows studied were white." - TheGuardian.com

Why do these stats even matter? The country is 70% white. Is it that shocking that the majority of everything is done by white people because that is the majority of citizens? They are chosen more often because there are more candidates almost 3 to 1, therefore, the talent pool is greater, therefore, it is easier to scrutinize.

Just a generalization. Not directed to you MGK, just to be clear.

Please, back to Star Wars.

On 12/27/2015 at 6:21 AM, davefmurray said:

The main issue with VII is that the main storyline is basically a rewrite of Episode IV. They could have made a "Star Wars-y" movie without rewriting the most popular movie in the series.  I, II & III are abominations. Star Wars-y or not, the directing and actors had no chance of creating good movies.

Finally watched it last night and this was my major issue with it. 

I haven't seen it yet... going to Redbox any day.  I didn't read this thread (for fear of spoilers) except for Brude's last post.  I'd already heard this same complaint, that it's a rehash basically.

3 hours ago, moulds33 said:

Haven't we always assumed 3-PO was gay?  Just me?

as a kid, no, but once I became old enough I see C3PO as a pussy-ass-bitch emulation of Mr. Belvedere.