War Machine

Thunderdome VIII Sign Ups! (Tourney is FULL, Alternate sign ups continue)

We're at 37 now.. I am going to cap this at 48 (Original post updated).  48 is a bit of a pipe dream but there are still some of you out there i'm counting on.

2 world champs (including reigning), numerous online champions, and some solid newcomers.  Will be a great field!  

January 6 is deadline....Selection Sunday (bracket reveal) is January 9th!

How will a 48 man bracket work if the max is reached? Wouldn't some receive byes at some point? Its single elimination which means most guys will play 1 more game than the others.

Excuse me if I'm out of line with these questions but I haven't seen this addressed by anyone.

29 minutes ago, suicideking81 said:

How will a 48 man bracket work if the max is reached? Wouldn't some receive byes at some point? Its single elimination which means most guys will play 1 more game than the others.

Excuse me if I'm out of line with these questions but I haven't seen this addressed by anyone.

Good question.  Unless you have 16-32-64 teams there will always be a bye or "play in games" for straight single elimination style.  Past thunderdomes had this.  I want to avoid byes and play-ins so every team plays an equal number of games.

I want to run this NCAA tournament style.  3 "regions" of 16 teams each seeded 1-16 and will try to keep people in a region with folks that live close to each other.  For example, there will be a West region and i will try to keep the west coasters together not only for ease of scheduling but also for a bit of a rivalry factor.  Same goes for a Mid West and East region.  However, in order to balance the tournament, some people will need to be moved to a region that may not make sense to their physical living location.  Ultimately, my goal is for this to have an NCAA tournament feel which we all love.  

That will leave 3 winners of each region remaining which I'm thinking about making double elimination for final 3.   I'm still contemplating how to handle the final 3 since i want to keep it single elimination but know that isnt possible.  i think the double elim for final 3 makes the most sense.  i'm open to suggestions from anyone who wants to PM me or DM me on discord/AIM.

The other alternative is straight single elimination with numerous byes and play-ins.  I think the NCAA tourney format would be more fun and give me the opportunity to do stuff like selection sunday and possibly a bracket picking challenge.

I havent announced anything or finalized it because ultimately it came down to number of participants.  With current state of online tecmo, i wasnt expecting to get to 40 this quick with a potential for 48.  This has handcuffed me a bit but i wanted to see how sign ups played out this week.

If you have any further questions, let me know!  Hope you sign up!

Edited by War Machine

Only 3 spots remaining!  I sent out feelers to a few of you vets out there who would be great additions to this tourney.  Hope you join.

Edited by War Machine

This thread and all future Thunderdome threads will be held in the new "Online Tournaments" sub forum that Knobbe created.  For those that use the activity streams feature where only posts from the forums you are interested in pop up in your feed, you may want to adjust that to capture this forum.  I know a pain but to ensure you dont miss any future communications please add this to your feeds.  

Here is the subforum:

http://tecmobowl.org/forum/409-online-tournaments/