Streaming at Live Tourney: What do you need?

segathonsov

On January 29, 2016 at 3:45 PM, davefmurray said:

Negatorski. For the capture device, did it come with software cd/dvd/drivers? If so, starting installing those jams and wait for it to tell you to plug it in.

Once the drivers are installed, download OBS and install for your flavor -- https://github.com/jp9000/obs-studio/releases/download/0.13.0/OBS-MP-0.13.0-Installer.exe

Once there, I'll shoot you some guides on getting OBS setup.

Ok I think I got everything DL and installed can I plug it in?

On 1/30/2016 at 5:21 PM, segathonsov said:

Ok I think I got everything DL and installed can I plug it in?

Oh yea! After the driver install you are ready to rip.

Ok, next up: Connect the capture card to USB on the laptop, and hook the system up to it via RCA (yellow/red/white) and turn your system on.

Fire up OBS -> Click Global Sources -> Add Video Capture Device -> Name it (Game Capture or whatever) -> make sure it populates in the dropdown section as Device. (In this example it says AV.io. -> Click OK and you should see your game in the Scene. Pics below for reference. Now, once you have the game up and running, repeat these exact steps and select the camera as your device. It will say Logitech C920 (or the like) in the Device dropdown. Now you should have TWO items in your scene. If you need to move devices around, click the device from the Sources field and click Edit Scene. This will give that item a red box and you will be able to move/drag/resize from there. Once you get this working we'll talk about setting up resolutions, the stream and etc.

obs.jpg

globalSourcesAddEncoder.jpg

globalSourcesAdd-settings.jpg

On 1/29/2016 at 5:54 PM, Tecmo Psycho said:

Probably too late @segathonsov but I can get the captured cards for $11 shipping included.  I can also give you a walk through Friday night at destination S8S.

I'd be interested in getting in on that for multiple cards.  It would be nice to be able to record more stations per event, and at that price, it would be hard to pass up.

@davefmurray

Ok camera sets up fine but I can't see the Nintendo feed, just get the below.

any suggestions?  Also i DL discord.  how do I get to be with my tecmo peeps?

thanks again, I think I am a computer savy but this stuff kinda makes me turn into my old man yelling at the blinking vcr clock

screen shot.jpg

Edited by segathonsov

31 minutes ago, segathonsov said:

@davefmurray

Ok camera sets up fine but I can't see the Nintendo feed, just get the below.

any suggestions?  Also i DL discord.  how do I get to be with my tecmo peeps?

thanks again, I think I am a computer savy but this stuff kinda makes me turn into my old man yelling at the blinking vcr clock

screen shot.jpg

Youcam is Webcam software. Does your laptop have a webcam?

Under Device what are our options? Can you click that dropdown and screenshot?

16 hours ago, segathonsov said:

I think I missed one of the drivers.  This look better?  guessing i need to do some resolution stuff

nes screenshot.png

ezcap? WTF? Did they rebox your capture card? Oh man. This is going to be fun.

Click Resolution/FPS Type. What are our options? You may just have to try each one til one sticks.

@davefmurray

Not having much luck. Eventually playing with settings crashes obs

Been playing with settings got the screen to flash once with tecmo but quickly went away.

Here is what i am doing

NES hooked into Line 1 Input,  OBS hooked into OUTPUT in back of TV.

Can hear audio when I choose "output desktop audio direct sound"

Here are video options

Resolution type

56b62d715e6a2_restype.png.1a68240ededb0c

FPS Types

FPS.png.e98ee59356e5b8e1c7d1a2cf6ea99645

The rest

56b63aef153b4_ALLREST.png.5e898825975299

Video format is either: ANY or UYVY

YUV Color Space: Default, 709, 601

YUV Color Range:  Full, Partial

Buffering:  Enable, autodetect, disable

Other thing is configure video:  tons of options:  NTSC versions, Pal versions, SeCam versions

56b63bfe4c1fc_VIDDECODER.png.f0ca76b51a5

Let me know which veggies you like in madtown

grilled-vegetables.gif?itok=XKe8hwwz

NES hooked into Line 1 Input,  OBS hooked into OUTPUT in back of TV. What does this mean? Is that your TV's input?

Eliminate the TV first. NES <==> Capture Card. That is all we want right now.

Try NES <==> Capture Card at default settings. If nothing, use 29.97 FPS and try each resolution independently.

7 minutes ago, davefmurray said:

NES hooked into Line 1 Input,  OBS hooked into OUTPUT in back of TV. What does this mean? Is that your TV's input?

Eliminate the TV first. NES <==> Capture Card. That is all we want right now.

Try NES <==> Capture Card at default settings. If nothing, use 29.97 FPS and try each resolution independently.

Yeah the NEW was in the INPUT and OUTPUT was OBS.   also did the cable splitter way and that did not work.

Now hooked up directly OBS to NES and get sound but no pic.

Think you are right on the rebox.  Does say TOTMC on item but drivers are the EZCAP.  maybe find a TOTMC driver or return it?  Thanks again

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R30IEMZUJ7EO1Y/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00M7T8T1E#R30IEMZUJ7EO1Y

16 of 19 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY IT!, IT'S EZCAP CLONE, BAD DRIVERS & SOFTWARE, March 28, 2015
By 

Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: TOTMC USB 2.0 Video Capture Adapter for Windows Xp, 2000, Vista, Window 7, Window 8 (Electronics)
The unit I received is NOT "TOTMC" but "EZCAP", many people here have the same issue, the driver seems to install correctly (no errors shown) BUT IT DOESN'T WORK CORRECTLY ON WINDOWS 7 64bit, the audio driver part is the one with the most problems as only the cheap software included "ArcSoft ShowBiz 3.5" gives you the option to select the audio input from the device, any other video capture software DOESN'T detect the audio capture option for this device, but as soon as you select the audio input for this device the video preview starts to drop out horribly, anyway, even if you want to record with no audio or use an external audio interface for capturing it as soon as you start capturing video with "ArcSoft ShowBiz 3.5" it drops video frames A LOT, the only solution I found so far was using the software "Golden Videos VHS to DVD Converter" and selecting the audio device as external with my Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Video quality is very poor, avoid this unit or at least buy the other listed as "ezcap" because is cheaper and it's the same you will receive, and I know it's NOT my system (Asus G74SX Intel i7 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560M 3GB), No wonder this unit now shows as "not available anymore" but also be careful because Amazon mixes all the reviews from all the different models listed as "ezcap", DO NOT BUY THIS!
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews 
Thank you for your feedback.

@segathonsov

Welp, how about this? You return that turd. Are you bring your laptop with you? If so, I legit have 3 or 4 older cheap USB capture devices. I'll bring them and if we don't get drunk and find one that works you can just have it. Deal?

1 hour ago, segathonsov said:

@davefmurray sounds good but I got the capture fever now.  is there another brand you recommend i should pick up?

Basically, anything BUT ezcap (& easycap) works well out of the box. lol

Let me do a little research. I had used that brand before and we got bamboozled. 

30 minutes ago, segathonsov said:

The new adapter works perfect!  Thanks @suicideking81

@davefmurray any other settings you recommend?  

So now I just stream to twitch account?

Twitch will save broadcast but only for a short time frame correct? 

Yes, there are tons.

I found a good tutorial for you: mirror this guy's settings and do NOT set your base resolution higher than 1280x720 if you are using a laptop.

After you get this tweaked and ready to rip, let's tweak the camera. If you are planning to resize the camera to a smaller screen footprint make sure to go Devices > Settings and lower the resolution first. Get it close to what you want and then adjust the window. Don't just resize the camera window. If you do, you are wasting frames/pixels because the camera is still trying to process at the resolution you have it set to and this can lead to the graphics card and/or cpu wasting resources.

• 1 month later...

What internet speeds have folks been successful with hosting live events via Twitch?    I have 1MB upload speed at home and it worked well once I turned the bitrate to around 1000.  Once we get more views I'm assuming that will affect the hosting server and not our local site. Folks online recommend much higher upload speeds however I don't think Tecmo needs HD quality.   Any input would be appreciated.  

There are two MAJOR components when it comes to streaming, both of which cause disconnects. Your computer's CPU and the internet connection. Secondary is the graphics card.

If the CPU can't handle everything on screen (cameras, capture, etc) it will stutter and cut out. You have to meticulously monitor your frames and set your FPS according to that. This is job #1. Once you are settled on a good FPS you move on to your connection. In most cases you won't know the actual speed until you get to the venue. If you know you are using Wifi it is safe to assume that you are going to be getting less than 1mbps upload, which is FARRR from ideal. You'll need to either lower your FPS again to compensate for this or start to remove on-screen items.

Another thing to consider is screen resolution. NES output is 240p so you can lower your canvas resolution substantially and get away with a higher quality stream at a lower FPS.

A lot of words to say that this is not a science and requires tons and tons of testing and retesting. My audio sync still isn't great and I've been doing this for years. Go figure.