Detroit, MI - 01/16/16 - Detroit's Tecmo Kumite IV

bob sacamano

It was a wild day and night in Auburn Hills.  Everyone did an amazing job keeping everything together as the storm hit of the Pistons/Warriors pregame crowd arrived.  I'm so thankful to have great people a part of this thing every year from the players to organizers, OToole, Chas, Moskwa, etc.  The staff at Hoops remained courteous to us (at least to me personally), despite the challenges that they had faced, as we condensed our space of taking up over half of the establishment, down to a small island of TVs by 5pm.

The tourney saw two-time defending champ Regulator, start off his day with losses to Bradbears, and Luckytool, and facing elimination beginning in Round 4.  By the 6th round of play, we had reached our 8 man, single elimination field, seed based on record.

Having not lost on the day, Moskwa won the draw, earning the top seed, followed by 2) Bradbears 0L, 3) Ones11fahzu (0L), 4) Ol' Dirty Tecmo (aka Diaz, 0L), 5) Luckytool (1L), 6) ODell (1L), 7) Louis B. (2L), #8) Regulator (2L).

Moskwa likely would have rather not "earned" the top seed most likely, as of course he squares off with the 2-time champ Regulator.  Kyle's Giants block an XP, and never relenquish the lead, taking down Joe and his Eagles 21-13.  In other action 3) Ones (NO) knocks out ODell (PHX), for the 2nd straight year, 17-7; 4) Diaz (WAS) defeats Luckytool (MIN) 20-6; 2) Bradbears (DET) defeats Louis B. (MIN) 14-10.

In the Final Four: both games went to OT, and were decided by the same outcome:  Regulator (NYG) defeats Diaz (BUF), and Ones (MIA) defeats Bradbears (CIN), each by a 24-21 count.

Brothers square off in the final as Regulator takes on Ones11fahzu.  Matt calls a TB/DAL matchup, and Kyle triumphs with a 21-14 victory, earning his 3rd Tecmo Kumite Title!

Congratulations Kyle, and quite a feat, and the entire family for that matter on a great run!

Everyone who participated in the Kumite IV, that did not make the Elite 8, was eligible to participate in a consolation tournament as well.  We raffled off a number of prizes, and the winner of the consolation tournament took home first choice of the prizes as well.  Jason P. defeated James H. to win the consolation tournament.  Congratulations Jason!

A tremendous thank you to everyone who participated, and to all of the tournament organizers as well.  We could not have done it without you guys.  It was a great tournament, despite the working conditions we had to deal with.  I promise, we will not put ourselves up against that next year, and we'll be back better than ever.  See you guys in Madison!

Edited by modeezie
sentence structures, and clarification errors

My thanks go Eric Odell, Toolie, Moska, Chas for running a great tourney. Sorry i was late. I shoulda left buffalo earlier than 5am. I won the warren moon starting lineup figure dude-man and then traded it to moska for a lions beanie and his sunglasses lol. (He had a warren moon jersey figured he deserved it). Then "old dirty tecmo" gave me his barry sanders jersey of his back lol (well borrowed it ). Thanks diaz. I'll rock that sanders jersey, lions cap and michigan sunglasses in madison. Ty to Modeezie for letting me crash at his place too. Laters Till madison. Laters

• DFM unpinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...