Madison, WI - 02/20/16 - Tecmo XII: There's Something About Barry

sonofpatbeach

9 minutes ago, RetroNathan said:

Just took a picture with the grandniece of Jeff Hostetler. The Tecmo gods are already shining favorably on me. 

Was it the girl in the comment section of this Randi video?  View it on YouTube to see the comment.  Listen at your own risk!

2 hours ago, matt411 said:

My brother Mike and I will be making our Tecmo Madison debuts this weekend. Neither of us has ever played in a tournament, so we figured we'd start with the biggest and best. In fact, we've probably played 95 percent of our Tecmo games over the years head-to-head against each other. We are fully prepared for the possibility of going 0-2 and spending the rest of the day cheering on the field, although we are actively hoping to defy the odds and make a surprise run. Either way, this trip is a dream come true. I'm traveling from Erie, PA, and meeting my brother in Chicago before heading to Wisconsin.

We will be staying with friends just outside of Madison, so I'm not sure if we'll make the Friday early registration, but we will definitely be there on Saturday. I recently found a letter I wrote to Santa at age 8 asking for "Super Tecmo Bowl or Tecmo Super Bowl" (apparently I wasn't sure on the official name.) Santa came through in the Christmas of '92, and more than 20 years later, my brother and I still spend time over holidays playing our own mini Tecmo tournaments against each other. When I first saw the documentary piece a few years ago, my brother and I joked that we should go someday. Then when I heard this was our last shot, we decided to make it happen.

I am a high school English teacher. When I tried to explain to my students why I was not going to be in school on Friday, I got a mix of enthusiasm, support, and "What is Tecmo Super Bowl?" questions. After explaining to a generation of kids who do not know a pre-Madden world of football video games about Tecmo's historical significance and the legend of Tecmo Bo Jackson (he's the reason I am a Raiders fan, after all), they're pretty excited for me. Anyway, I look forward to meeting and competing against others who have grown up with Tecmo like my brother and me. Here's to a fun weekend! We'll see you all soon!

Sincerely,

Matt Hubert

12719358_10100241279825587_6603524946115168944_o.jpg

Wonderful post.

We got TSB for Xmas 1991 when I was 6. My older brother, @hoigaard would never let me play. So for the first and only time I played hooky from school one normal winter day by pretending to be sick. I turned on the console and picked the Redskins (SB champs) and played my first game and won. At that point, I was hooked. 

Similarily, I heard on the news one night something about a man named "Marino" and thought to myself - that is a really cool name! So I scanned my football cards and found a pick of Daniel himself hanging next to a Corvette at sunset on South Beach in Zubaz. I saw the Dolphins logo, and decided then and there to go down and play as Miami in the game. He lit it up and instantly became my favorite player. It was strange being a Dolphins fan in the middle of Wisconsin from age 6 on. I also got a pair of Dolphins Zubaz.

8424134591_4611181d72.jpg

19 minutes ago, Super Duper said:

Wonderful post.

We got TSB for Xmas 1991 when I was 6. My older brother, @hoigaard would never let me play. So for the first and only time I played hooky from school one normal winter day by pretending to be sick. I turned on the console and picked the Redskins (SB champs) and played my first game and won. At that point, I was hooked. 

Similarily, I heard on the news one night something about a man named "Marino" and thought to myself - that is a really cool name! So I scanned my football cards and found a pick of Daniel himself hanging next to a Corvette at sunset on South Beach in Zubaz. I saw the Dolphins logo, and decided then and there to go down and play as Miami in the game. He lit it up and instantly became my favorite player. It was strange being a Dolphins fan in the middle of Wisconsin from age 6 on. I also got a pair of Dolphins Zubaz.

8424134591_4611181d72.jpg

I also remember older video getting that game. We actually have the video from that christmas of him getting it. We both looked at it and though cool... and had no idea the glory that we were beholding. Like most older brothers he wouldnt let me play it while he was gone. So whenever he was gone i would literally play it non stop. On weekends when he was gone I would play it all weekend long literally. Then it happened, i went to play the game and it was not there... I asked my brother where it was and he said he loaned it to Steve Nelson... SO i was upset but couldnt do anything. a week went by, still not there. i askeed him about it, steve still had it. Another week, another week, a month, 2 months... 3 months... Literallly asking my brother about it every day. That NES game never did return to our house as the evil Steve Nelson never returned it to us. Years later was able to get another copy and i played it even more. Im still mad at Steve Nelson for never returning our game back.

3 hours ago, noonan said:

I will again bring my Tecmo Super Bowl trading card collection.

I'm just short the 840 cards I need to complete the full set.

Any of you football trading card junkies that have any card from this list, I'd appreciate you offering that card to me/my collection.

In order by TSB team.  Football cards needed of each player does NOT require the player be pictured with his TSB team.

Al Del Greco for example, I'll take his card with ANY team he played for.  Too difficult to find those matches.

Thank you TecmoXII

JAMIE WILLIAMS, STEVE WALLACE, BARRY HELTON
GLEN KOZLOWSKI, CAP BOSO
ERIK WILHELM, KENDAL SMITH, MIKE BARBER
PAUL GREEN, DARRELL HAMILTON, MARC MUNFORD
VERNON JOINES, JOHN TALLEY, RALPH TAMM, BRYAN WAGNER, CHRIS PIKE
JEFF CARLSON, JOHN HARVEY, CARL BAX, ROB TAYLOR
AL DEL GRECO
MARK VLASSIC, JOE CARAVELLO, WAYNE WALKER, JOEL PATTEN, LES MILLER
ALFREDO ROBERTS
IVY JOE HUNTER, ORSON MOBLEY
BABE LAUFENBERG, ROBERT PERRYMAN
SCOTT MITCHELL, TONY MARTIN, KARL WILSON
HARPER LEBEL, REGGIE SINGLETARY
HUGH MILLEN, TRACY JOHNSON, GEORGE THOMAS, MICHAEL REID, CHARLES DIMRY
STACEY ROBINSON
DOUG WELLSANDT, MIKE HAIGHT, BRETT MILLER

WILLIE GREEN, TERRY GREER, HARVEY SALEM, KETIH FERGUSON
VICTOR JONES, DOUG LLOYD, TONY JONES, JAY PENNISON
RICH MORGAN
GEORGE ADAMS, PAUL FAIRCHILD, CHRIS GAMBOL, RICHARD HARVEY, ROD MCSWAIN
RORY GRAVES
CHUCK LONG, DERRICK FAISON, KEITH ENGLISH, BRIAN SMITH, BOBBY HUMPHERY
BRIAN MITCHELL, JOE HOWARD, JIMMIE JOHNSON, KELLY GOODBURN, GREG MANUSKY
RON HELLER, EDWIN BAILEY, RON MATTES
RICK STROM, RICHARD BELL, BRIAN BLANKENSHIP
JESSIE CLARK, MIKE JONES, FAUD REVEIZ, HARRY NEWSOME

Noonan I got a Topps Chuck Long card I have in my desk at work.

4 hours ago, noonan said:

Any of you football trading card junkies that have any card from this list, I'd appreciate you offering that card to me/my collection.

In order by TSB team.  Football cards needed of each player does NOT require the player be pictured with his TSB team.

Al Del Greco for example, I'll take his card with ANY team he played for.  Too difficult to find those matches.

Thank you TecmoXII

JAMIE WILLIAMS, STEVE WALLACE, BARRY HELTON
GLEN KOZLOWSKI, CAP BOSO
ERIK WILHELM, KENDAL SMITH, MIKE BARBER
PAUL GREEN, DARRELL HAMILTON, MARC MUNFORD
VERNON JOINES, JOHN TALLEY, RALPH TAMM, BRYAN WAGNER, CHRIS PIKE
JEFF CARLSON, JOHN HARVEY, CARL BAX, ROB TAYLOR
AL DEL GRECO
MARK VLASSIC, JOE CARAVELLO, WAYNE WALKER, JOEL PATTEN, LES MILLER
ALFREDO ROBERTS
IVY JOE HUNTER, ORSON MOBLEY
BABE LAUFENBERG, ROBERT PERRYMAN
SCOTT MITCHELL, TONY MARTIN, KARL WILSON
HARPER LEBEL, REGGIE SINGLETARY
HUGH MILLEN, TRACY JOHNSON, GEORGE THOMAS, MICHAEL REID, CHARLES DIMRY
STACEY ROBINSON
DOUG WELLSANDT, MIKE HAIGHT, BRETT MILLER

WILLIE GREEN, TERRY GREER, HARVEY SALEM, KETIH FERGUSON
VICTOR JONES, DOUG LLOYD, TONY JONES, JAY PENNISON
RICH MORGAN
GEORGE ADAMS, PAUL FAIRCHILD, CHRIS GAMBOL, RICHARD HARVEY, ROD MCSWAIN
RORY GRAVES
CHUCK LONG, DERRICK FAISON, KEITH ENGLISH, BRIAN SMITH, BOBBY HUMPHERY
BRIAN MITCHELL, JOE HOWARD, JIMMIE JOHNSON, KELLY GOODBURN, GREG MANUSKY
RON HELLER, EDWIN BAILEY, RON MATTES
RICK STROM, RICHARD BELL, BRIAN BLANKENSHIP
JESSIE CLARK, MIKE JONES, FAUD REVEIZ, HARRY NEWSOME

I'll try my best to go through all my cards at home to see if I have anyone.

Also popping both mine and my oldest brother's tournament cherries this weekend, which is stupid because I've lived in Madison for 4 years now. It was always something he and I talked about doing and was a "someday" sort of thing. Fully anticipating losing every game considering I've basically only played against him and against the computer (though my secret edge is playing at 1.5x-2x speed, so my reaction times are fully honed!), but I'm stoked to be a part of this and to have him visiting Madison for the first time.

Can't wait to meet everyone! We probably won't be around Friday night because I'll be doing other touristy stuff with him, but we'll definitely be there in full force on Saturday!

Are there any afterparty plans for Saturday night or Sunday?

15 minutes ago, bradorego said:

Also popping both mine and my oldest brother's tournament cherries this weekend, which is stupid because I've lived in Madison for 4 years now. It was always something he and I talked about doing and was a "someday" sort of thing. Fully anticipating losing every game considering I've basically only played against him and against the computer (though my secret edge is playing at 1.5x-2x speed, so my reaction times are fully honed!), but I'm stoked to be a part of this and to have him visiting Madison for the first time.

Can't wait to meet everyone! We probably won't be around Friday night because I'll be doing other touristy stuff with him, but we'll definitely be there in full force on Saturday!

Are there any afterparty plans for Saturday night or Sunday?

Drink at your own risk, though generally speaking the Plaza gets pretty damn full. Just don't put your drink on the corner of the bubble hockey.

4 hours ago, davefmurray said:

Is this why so many bachelorettes are tweeting @bruddog about his impending arrival to Madtown? The smell of unmarried Tecmo prowess is in the air. His Keith English Leather musk is irresistible to the defenseless female. Tecmo mating season is upon us.

Just remember (and the last time we can say this) NO SEX IN JUNE

11 minutes ago, qb_browns said:

Just remember (and the last time we can say this) NO SEX IN JUNE

Had my hopes up for a couple minutes there #TecmoXIII

9 minutes ago, sonofpatbeach said:

It doesn't matter anymore. Have sex whenever you want!!!

Welp, at least there was the GannonBall Run ... "JJ?... JJ?"
GL ALL!

On Friday, February 12, 2016 at 1:27 PM, modeezie said:

What gives you the impression that you are the 2 seed?  I read somewhere that little is known about Leif Powers gaming skill.  My sense tells me that you are the #1 seed in Group 5 Rico.  But I could be wrong.

I'm excited to be in a group with Ashman, and Leonardite!  Anything that involves Dr.Frolf or Leonardite is fun in my book.

I'm looking forward to this as well.  This might be the first tournament we get to interact (a) before the Plaza; (b) not completely smashed; and (c) not wearing a sombrero.  Or any combination of the three.

On Monday, February 15, 2016 at 2:58 PM, hankthetank said:

Is there anyone who would consider letting me crash on the floor with them Friday in exchange for 20 bucks?  [email protected]

43 minutes ago, Neerrm said:

I'm here at the super 8. Bummed that the room tvs dont have composite hookups and I didn't bring the cable adapter. Anyone here with a crt? 

Were here. No tube tv. No car 2 get 1. In room two one one

I am at the clarion.  Got a laptop with 2 xbox controllers, nestopia, and tecmo superbowl rom.  Can practice whenever

ready for first tournament outside of random video game convention and workplace holiday tournament

My co-workers made me a shirt for winning this years holiday tecmo tourney.  As i was only one of us to come out here I will be wearing that shirt with pride carrying the dreams of my comrades on my back hopefully to glory.  I am hype for this!

I have a CRT in my garage I want to get rid of. I'd love to bring it tomorrow and let someone else give it a good home. Otherwise it's headed for the curb with a "FREE" sign real soon. It's decent sized. Like 27" I think. It's a Philips. It doesn't have composite hook ups, just a coax in the back.

If someone wants it, speak now before I head to work tomorrow morning and I leave it in the garage.

16 hours ago, noonan said:

Thank you TecmoXII

My records show I have quite a few of the cards on your list, thanks to my undertaking a similar quest about a year ago.

I'll PM with details -- maybe we can arrange a trade.

5 hours ago, Green Majik said:

My records show I have quite a few of the cards on your list, thanks to my undertaking a similar quest about a year ago.

I'll PM with details -- maybe we can arrange a trade.

You bet, let's trade! I'll bring with my meager collection.

I'm on tradingcarddb.com under the userid "noonan" and you can see what I have available at that site.