Madison, WI - 02/20/16 - Tecmo XII: There's Something About Barry

sonofpatbeach

12 hours ago, sonofpatbeach said:

Orenga and I are going to be out of the country on vacation for the next few weeks, with little or no access to the Interwebs. Chet (loser) and Bailey (qb_browns) will be holding down the fort while we're gone. Expect web site updates to be glacially slow, and certainly responses on here to be almost snail-like in slowness. The good news is that most people have already registered for the tournament, and we've seeded most of the field.

Fixed that for him. 

On 1/19/2016 at 0:20 AM, sonofpatbeach said:

I have it on good authority that more than one sorority girl at Clemson has a Mort tattoo.   #MortRumors  

I hear he drinks Old Milwaukee by the case and demands "Stouffer's Pizza"...but only after sensing when a Nintendo is present. 

(original source....as far as I know...http://www.leonardite.com/tecmo/main.html)

Edited by Nickabc
Adding source

A quick reminder since it pops up from time to time (and let your friends know this ahead of time too):

If you are paying for your friend, either put something in the payment notes to let us know or email us separately. When we see two payments we're going to delay confirmation until we resolve the question of duplicate payments. 

This should have been posted somewhere earlier, but is a good reminder as guaranteed spots begin to reduce. 

On 11/10/2015 at 0:55 PM, sonofpatbeach said:

Update:

Maximum Number of participants: 268.

The first 252 people who register are guaranteed a spot in Saturday's tournament. Should we get more than 252 people, spots 253+ will be held for a play-in tournament on Friday night at Badger Bowl. Time to be determined. The four best finishers in that play-in tournament will receive the last 4 slots in the tournament. The maximum number of players in that tournament is SIXTEEN, which gives us a maximum number of 268 people in the tournament.

Please note that all people who register are still eligible to make their way into the tournament as an alternate, as folks cancel in the weeks leading up to the tournament. We tend to get upwards of 10-15 cancellations or no-shows every year, so even if you are in spot 260 at some point, you may end up in Saturday's event without needing to play on Friday night.

If you register for a 252+ spot, and you can't make the Friday tournament for some reason, you still have a chance to make the tournament by checking in on Saturday, and waiting to see if you can fill the spot of a no-show.  And even if you lose in the play-in tournament, you can still come back on Saturday morning for the same reason, without paying another entry fee.

So, in short, we can accommodate A LOT of people for this tournament, and you shouldn't be discouraged from registering if we cross the 252 threshold. I should note that we sent out a similar update last year, but didn't end up needing the play-in tournament after all of the cancellations. Better safe than sorry, though.

Update for those who aren't obsessively following the Tecmo Madison website. 

We are at 247 confirmed participants. This leaves us 5 short of 252. I cannot stress this enough - if you cannot come let us know now, don't be the no show person. 

Thanks. 

I remember last year somebody did a big post about his predictions for each group, the round of 64, 32 and so on. I am not talking about Bruddogs bracketology (also a stellar read) but someone else. I did a scan through the posts from last tourney and couldn't find it. Hopefully it wasnt a dream because I really enjoyed reading it. Either way I know groups are a few weeks off from being made but if anyone recalls who/what I'm referring to let me know so I can be on the lookout when we get there. Peace, and Tecmoness 4 eva.

Did some prelim work for the field that has registered. In the top 64 it looks like "online garbage" vs not is a close battle. Looks like ~25% of the field are brand new. I identified some new to Madison players that have played online. All numbers are a final power rating. Taking one players power rating and subtracting the other players power rating gives you a rough line for the game.

You can also play with the weightings. I weighted Tecmo IX 10%, Tecmo X 30%, Tecmo XII, 60%

mad12_prelim.xlsx

Well I guess I have to get my ass with it and actually use Office. Or just use it through work. Anyway with regard to "online garbage." Is there anyone who plays online using a CRT as their monitor? If so what are the challenges, pros/cons of doing so? I for one can't play with any lag so I've never gotten into the garbage realm really. Just curious if anyone cares enough about lag to use a CRT monitor and also how well that has worked.

Maybe this isn't the best forum to ask about that in. Let's just stick to tourney build up. For those coming from out of the region. I suggest dining at Taco John's at least once during your stay. That is as long as you've never had potato ole's and haven't confirmed that they are the best fast food side a Tecmoer could ask for.

3 hours ago, bruddog said:

Did some prelim work for the field that has registered. In the top 64 it looks like "online garbage" vs not is a close battle. Looks like ~25% of the field are brand new. I identified some new to Madison players that have played online. All numbers are a final power rating. Taking one players power rating and subtracting the other players power rating gives you a rough line for the game.

You can also play with the weightings. I weighted Tecmo IX 10%, Tecmo X 30%, Tecmo XII, 60%

mad12_prelim.xlsx

How it's possible according to your math for someone who's only played in one Madison and hasn't sniffed the Elite 8 to be ranked higher than one who won Ohio last year and made the Elite 8 last year is beyond me. Not to mention people who've never sniffed the Elite 8 to be higher than guys who have won this tourney.

7 hours ago, Coconuts said:

How it's possible according to your math for someone who's only played in one Madison and hasn't sniffed the Elite 8 to be ranked higher than one who won Ohio last year and made the Elite 8 last year is beyond me. Not to mention people who've never sniffed the Elite 8 to be higher than guys who have won this tourney.

I feel like I am reading the comment section on ESPN.com.

5 hours ago, davefmurray said:

I feel like I am reading the comment section on ESPN.com.

I was messing with Brud for a while last night, that's all that was. In case you didn't get the Ohio win reference, when it was supposed to be Madison results only haha. I gave up on ESPN after their supremely false reporting on Deflategate. False inofrmation, but can't do a retraction? Joke of a sports news company. Not to mention they have their favorites who they cover nonstop.

58 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I was messing with Brud for a while last night, that's all that was. In case you didn't get the Ohio win reference, when it was supposed to be Madison results only haha. I gave up on ESPN after their supremely false reporting on Deflategate. False inofrmation, but can't do a retraction? Joke of a sports news company. Not to mention they have their favorites who they cover nonstop.

I was totally messing with you. These days ESPN is a clickbait factory like everyone else.

On 1/18/2016 at 5:02 PM, qb_browns said:

If you're lucky, mort will bring his 10 vcrs so he has tape for his blog. 

That sounds cool

On 1/18/2016 at 3:17 PM, davefmurray said:

This isn't the deciding factor. The sheer amount of players make it slim chances for anyone considering the relatively low volume of games played on stream.

As a first timer I got little chance of doing well or getting on stream yes, but I figure since you guys stream the championship game and other late games that decide who gets in championship, my odds of getting on increase the better I do.

Just Booked my flights and hotel.  Gonna be arriving on the 18th.  I'll be in the block of rooms at the Clarion.  Got my own room as I won't be traveling with anyone and like having a room to myself

On 1/19/2016 at 2:28 PM, Beef Juice said:

There's a lot of Super 8 South talk. I just wanted to mention again that Sega and I will be staying in the more luxurious Clarion which we can both attest is just a brisk walk away from Badger Bowl.

If someone needs a place still I'm sure you could curl up on the couch

@Beef Juice I have never met you gentlemen, but if you have some practice games for fun before the tourney, at the hotel or at Badger Bowl, could I join you?

I got a laptop with 2 xbox controllers and a rom of tecmo superbowl on it.  I'll private message you my cell later if it's cool

I am excited and looking forward to my first Tecmo Madison.

I will be bringing along my interview I conducted with the Tecmo Super Bowl programmer and director, with answers to some of our big questions such as... "Why is Bo Jackson so damn good?"   and.. "What were 'quickness' and "accuracy of passing" supposed to do?"  And.... "are you aware we play TSB in tournaments such as the big one in Madison?"

We've hit the wait list everyone. This triggers a few items:

1. If you haven't registered, register. 

2. If you haven't cancelled, but know you are not going to be there, go cancel 

3a. We have never had a person on the wait list not make the main tournament

3b. However, we have a plan to deal with wait list participants

There are still some Madison veterans who have not registered, but at least Mort is coming. 

8 minutes ago, tecmobo said:

I am in and hoping for a 2 seed haha. Bruddog's rankings or bust! Looking forward to seeing some of the guys I met last year and some new faces. But really just Kamph. :-P

I wish I could but I can't :-( 

34 minutes ago, tecmobo said:

I am in and hoping for a 2 seed haha. Bruddog's rankings or bust! Looking forward to seeing some of the guys I met last year and some new faces. But really just Kamph. :-P

You'll probably get one this year. Now, if the guys who normally come(daboy, vogts, amongst others), probably not