Madison, WI - 02/20/16 - Tecmo XII: There's Something About Barry

sonofpatbeach

It would be nearly impossible to win the whole thing without being ONE OF the best players in the room that day. You could definitely make a region ridiculously hard say like put regulator, chet, coco, psycho, etc all in one region but obviously nothing like that is going on. 

A little luck in matchups, turnovers, coin toss wins never hurts though. 

1 hour ago, bruddog said:

You could definitely make a region ridiculously hard say like put regulator, chet, coco, psycho, etc all in one region but obviously nothing like that is going on.  

Damnit, now I have to completely redesign the Stiller region!

12 hours ago, sonofpatbeach said:

+1

Allow me to elaborate. We do our best, guys. There are a lot of tournaments. We can't upload them all. We have to use our judgment on which tournaments we enter, based on our experience with those tournaments, the number of players, the talent of the field, and expected crossover between the players in that field and the players in our field.

As Dave mentioned, even if documented really well (which many are not) and sent to us promptly (which many are not), it's not easy to enter them into our site. It takes time. We're all busy people, so we don't get to them all. We prioritize.

We know who did well in all of the tournaments this year (like, say, Nebraska), and we'll try to take that into account with seeding, to the degree it's feasible.

The person who wins #TecmoXII will not win it because of how he was seeded. He'll win it because he was the best player in the room that day, as Derek was last year.

There's 8 guys per pool in the opening stages. If someone on here thinks that we just throw guys together and don't actually have discussions about this or look at the boards to make sure things are fair, then that person is an idiot. 

It's impossible to stack the deck without *everyone* noticing. It's also impossible to make a region ridiculously easy without *everyone* noticing. The only non-competitive reasoning we use to place people in regions then in pools is the friend/relative/travelling buddy reason. We're going to try to not put all the PNW guys or ND guys or NY guys in the same region so they can watch each other and play someone different. 

While it's not complicated to you, the end user of the tournament, it is very complicated to the 4 people who have jobs, kids, wives, and lives to lead. 

Everyone knows that what you guys do seeding wise is amazing and in my experience I dont think it could be done better, no one said anything about Madison not being the best overall and ran tourney ever, and its obvious that you guys do the best job seeding possible. Your site has become the standard and when you run a great tournament like we did and you see other less or similar competitive tourney results listed but not yours how could you not feel overlooked? My post had nothing to do with how Madison is run or seeded. However you look at it you guys set the bar, so as a guy who runs a tournament you strive to have your results posted on your page, its instant legitimacy for your tournament. I also understand I also work and have children this wasn't me questioning anything you guys do I have a enormous amont of respect for all of you, and the Madison tournament. 

Edited by Ryan11p

We're very close to publishing groups. We have some review to do today, and hope to have them posted tomorrow. If you find yourself in the same group with one of your friends/family, or some dude you've played in group play a bunch of times already, let us know, and we will try to accommodate you.

As cancellations start to fly in, and we have to shift talent accordingly, the process will certainly be fluid.

I've updated the original post with details regarding start times and registration -- pasted here:

Start Times:

-- Early bird registration for the main event opens on Friday night at 6:30pm at Badger Bowl. This gives you an opportunity to get registration out of the way, drink a lot of beers, catch up with old Tecmo friends, and play some practice games. 

-- Registration for the 16-man play-in tournament also opens on Friday night at 6:30pm.  The play-in tournament will commence at 7pm on Friday night at Badger Bowl.

-- Saturday registration for main event will be from 9:00-9:45am. We always start our tournament on time, between 10-10:15 am. That means that if you don't show up until after 9:45am, we're going to give your spot to an alternate. We strongly recommend early bird registration on Friday night because of this.

I am formally submitting my case to be in the Patrick Healy division:

(1) I've been to Santiago, Chile twice in the past year.

(2) I hook people to clotheslines to let them exercise/run.

(3) I've told women at Madison I'm an architect

(4) I originally thought the Jets kicker was named Pat Healy and then remembered it was Pat Leahy.  (is late onset dislexia real?)

Make this happen TecmoGods, and I will provide you with unlimited bounty (Papa Johns coupons).

1 hour ago, sonofpatbeach said:

I've updated the original post with details regarding start times and registration -- pasted here:

Start Times:

-- Early bird registration for the main event opens on Friday night at 6:30pm at Badger Bowl. This gives you an opportunity to get registration out of the way, drink a lot of beers, catch up with old Tecmo friends, and play some practice games. 

-- Registration for the 16-man play-in tournament also opens on Friday night at 6:30pm.  The play-in tournament will commence at 7pm on Friday night at Badger Bowl.

-- Saturday registration for main event will be from 9:00-9:45am. We always start our tournament on time, between 10-10:15 am. That means that if you don't show up until after 9:45am, we're going to give your spot to an alternate. We strongly recommend early bird registration on Friday night because of this.

What time you thinking is to late to register friday? I plan on leaving from work friday and arriving around 1030pm friday night... Im guessing that is to late? Either way Ill be there plenty early Saturday morning.

14 minutes ago, justinpeters51 said:

What time you thinking is to late to register friday? I plan on leaving from work friday and arriving around 1030pm friday night... Im guessing that is to late? Either way Ill be there plenty early Saturday morning.

10:30 is probably too late. We usually shut early bird registration down around 10pm, and vacate/lock the cabin room between 10:30 and 11:00pm.

I don't care what region I wind up in.   I'll put stuff about me in this post should you need any of it to help you do seeding.  I will be playing under the name The Rook

I'm from Youngstown, Ohio and I work in Cleveland, Ohio if that matters

I got a room at the Clarion Hotel and will do practice games with beef juice or anyone else that wants to hit me up at the hotel or play me friday at badger bowl

My workplace had a tecmo super bowl tournament at it last year and this year.  I finished second last year and first this year.  The tourney was seeded.  Was no1 seed both years.  Seeding was done by seeing who could get highest score against CPU with any chosen teams.  Teams used in the actual tourney matchups were randomly selected at the start of every round.  Drew team names out of a hat one year and used software code another year.  Other than that I won a tourney at a comic convention a longtime ago where you picked what team you played as each round and that tourney was not seeded in any way it was random.  There was about 10 people in each tourney.  None of my coworkers plan to attend tecmo madison or play tecmo anywhere outside work.  They will be watching the stream.

I have read the rules for this tourney, but never actually played in a tourney like tecmo madison before

Edited by Mr. Anderson

16 hours ago, justinpeters51 said:

Justin, you are already a paid registrant.  If you can't "check-in" Friday night, you can just check in between 9-9:45 on Saturday before the tourney.

It is the NON-paid, non-registered that should be freaking out about not registering Friday evening.  Afterall, with the overflow play-in + waiting list... those thinking they can drop in on Saturday might be out of luck (I'm NOT speaking on behalf of the tournament organizers here)

10 minutes ago, Jebigred said:

So is it sad that I am sitting around all day checking the website every 5 minutes to see if the groups have been released yet?

I know man.... the cyber stalking of people in your pool will be at an all time high (meaning an all-time low for you). lol