Madison, WI - 02/20/16 - Tecmo XII: There's Something About Barry

sonofpatbeach

2 minutes ago, RetroNathan said:

You better believe I didn't. Can't wait to get that beauty in my hands, only to lose it I'm sure sometime on Friday or Saturday. It will likely be a short reign, but hey, at least I can say I held The Shannon for a brief time.

The Shannon is like the elusive unicorn.  I believe Beef Juice got Fulcher'd  to lose it before it fell into your hands.

15 minutes ago, Beef Juice said:

There's a lot of Super 8 South talk. I just wanted to mention again that Sega and I will be staying in the more luxurious Clarion which we can both attest is just a brisk walk away from Badger Bowl.

If someone needs a place still I'm sure you could curl up on the couch.

Why on Earth are you ladies defying your destiny? We are all getting #S8S tattoos and you need to join the club!

22 minutes ago, davefmurray said:

Why on Earth are you ladies defying your destiny? We are all getting #S8S tattoos and you need to join the club!

Nah I'm good. I just spent all my money getting MORT LIFE tattooed across my chest in a sick gothic font.

33 minutes ago, Beef Juice said:

There's a lot of Super 8 South talk. I just wanted to mention again that Sega and I will be staying in the more luxurious Clarion which we can both attest is just a brisk walk away from Badger Bowl.

If someone needs a place still I'm sure you could curl up on the couch.

Brian R (Chaos Rison) & I have rooms booked at Super 8, the Sheraton by the Colliseum (like, an extra 500 feet past the Clarion, could join Sega/BeefJuice for Friday Night Tecmo), and one downtown. Advantages of each:

Super 8- As much Tecmo (and B.O.) that you can handle.

Sheraton- Walking distance to Badger Bowl (or at least a 1 minute drive), for a potential not-driving-later-in-the-day situation

Downtown- 7 minute drive to Badger Bowl, 7 minute walk to the Plaza. Makes stumbling out of the Plaza at 2am a much more pleasant situation than waiting 20 minutes for a cab or Uber.

Jah bless hotels.com and their free cancellation policy.

6 minutes ago, hoigaard said:

Downtown- 7 minute drive to Badger Bowl, 7 minute walk to the Plaza. Makes stumbling out of the Plaza at 2am a much more pleasant situation than waiting 20 minutes for a cab or Uber.

Plaza adjacency is paramount.

We're at 235 - without bigmv, without dayboys, without vogtcd (who just had a kid like 3 hours ago), without gats, without TBK,...

What I'm trying to say is if you (or somebody you know) are famous, almost famous, a nobody, or d - other, sign up now to get your guaranteed spot.

1 minute ago, qb_browns said:

We're at 235 - without bigmv, without dayboys, without vogtcd (who just had a kid like 3 hours ago), without gats, without TBK,...

What I'm trying to say is if you (or somebody you know) are famous, almost famous, a nobody, or d - other, sign up now to get your guaranteed spot.

Has a cap been communicated?

30 minutes ago, qb_browns said:

27 minutes ago, davefmurray said:

Has a cap been communicated?

I'm thinking EPIC play-in tournament on Friday for Saturday's remaining tournament spots.  Famous Tecmo folk be warned!

On 11/10/2015 at 0:55 PM, sonofpatbeach said:

Update:

Maximum Number of participants: 268.

The first 252 people who register are guaranteed a spot in Saturday's tournament. Should we get more than 252 people, spots 253+ will be held for a play-in tournament on Friday night at Badger Bowl. Time to be determined. The four best finishers in that play-in tournament will receive the last 4 slots in the tournament. The maximum number of players in that tournament is SIXTEEN, which gives us a maximum number of 268 people in the tournament.

Please note that all people who register are still eligible to make their way into the tournament as an alternate, as folks cancel in the weeks leading up to the tournament. We tend to get upwards of 10-15 cancellations or no-shows every year, so even if you are in spot 260 at some point, you may end up in Saturday's event without needing to play on Friday night.

If you register for a 252+ spot, and you can't make the Friday tournament for some reason, you still have a chance to make the tournament by checking in on Saturday, and waiting to see if you can fill the spot of a no-show.  And even if you lose in the play-in tournament, you can still come back on Saturday morning for the same reason, without paying another entry fee.

So, in short, we can accommodate A LOT of people for this tournament, and you shouldn't be discouraged from registering if we cross the 252 threshold. I should note that we sent out a similar update last year, but didn't end up needing the play-in tournament after all of the cancellations. Better safe than sorry, though.

------------

Updated the original post with information about the maximum # of players. I don't think we'll need it, but good to have it in place if we do.

17 hours ago, sonofpatbeach said:

Plaza adjacency is paramount.

I found the nearby gyro place is great to stop at first while waiting for a cab. Sega and I walked in last year with the Shannon in tow trying to get complete strangers to give a shit about our wonderful trophy.

1 hour ago, Beef Juice said:

I found the nearby gyro place is great to stop at first while waiting for a cab. Sega and I walked in last year with the Shannon in tow trying to get complete strangers to give a shit about our wonderful trophy.

Good to know the Shannon likes gyros. 

17 hours ago, sonofpatbeach said:

The #TecmoX post-party a the Plaza was epic. I don't remember last year's. They were finding Tecmo cards in their jukebox for months after #TecmoX.

How late do people usually stay at the Plaza after Tecmo wraps up?

2 minutes ago, Nickabc said:

Good to know the Shannon likes gyros. 

How late do people usually stay at the Plaza after Tecmo wraps up?

Last year at TecmoXI my brother and I realized we were the last Tecmoers standing at 1ish. I think TecmoX went until they shut the place down. So, I guess it varies. Since this is the final installment, though, I would budget my time until the sun rises Sunday morning.

42 minutes ago, hoigaard said:

Last year at TecmoXI my brother and I realized we were the last Tecmoers standing at 1ish. I think TecmoX went until they shut the place down. So, I guess it varies. Since this is the final installment, though, I would budget my time until the sun rises Sunday morning.

Just don't go shattering whole glass mugs of beer at the bubble hockey game without first warning the entire platform will be lifted and jostled. Drunk as we are, Tecmo Bowlers must have respect for all watering holes. That said, I think we got out of there around 1:30 a.m. Fantastic evening.

I plan on being at Badger Bowl Friday night to watch and mingle, and might go ahead and join either the Clarion or Super 8 parties for mini-tourney's, exhibitions and general social hilarity. Might as well make it all as epic as hell.

On 11/10/2015 at 0:55 PM, sonofpatbeach said:

Prizes: We will have cash payouts for the top 16 finishers, thanks to our sponsor, Retro World Series. These will be announced closer to the tournament date.

Another update to the original post. I recommend checking out the Retro World Series facebook page if you're interested in other retro games besides Tecmo. Pretty cool event taking place this August down in Houston. Hal will have some space at the Badger Bowl if you want to get more info or potentially play some other retro games.

Edited by sonofpatbeach

Orenga and I are going to be out of the country on vacation for the next few weeks, with little or no access to the Interwebs. Chet and Bailey will be holding down the fort while we're gone. Expect web site updates to be slower, and certainly responses on here to be slower. The good news is that most people have already registered for the tournament, and we've seeded most of the field.