Lincoln, NE - 01/30/2016 - Tecmo Lincoln VI

Knobbe

I'll recap a little later and post the bracket this weekend.

I wasn't falling asleep at the bar at 7pm tired, but I was in bed and sleeping at 10pm for 9 hours tired.

I then had to put in some time at home before heading to California this week.

Overall, it might have been the smoothest tournament for me though it went on probably an hour too long because of not getting on guys to move to the next game and I took a long time to make sure the brackets were perfect.

I'll do a little recap.

The even was a blast.  I hadn't been to a tournament since Tecmo Lincoln 1, where I was beaten in the first round by Buck.  But I think that it was double elimination at that time, so I am not 100% sure but I remember losing quickly after group play.

On to Tecmo Lincoln VI, I arrived a little early to bring some Nintendo's for Knobbe than played some practice games against a guy who ended up making it to the final 8, followed by a guy who had never played Tecmo before.  The latter guy had a collection of over 700 SNES cartridges, which he showed me a picture of and I was shocked at such a beautiful sight.

On to the tournament.  I played in a group with Craig (the 2nd place finisher) and it was a sign of things to come, I destroyed him 35-3, he had about as bad of luck as possible, he was the Bears I was the Chiefs. He lost 3 fumbles in that game with Anderson, and Okoye was rolling.  The next two group play games I won as GB against Saints 14-0, than beat the Giants as the Bills 21-7.  With those point differentials I went in as the 5th seed out of 42 guys.

In between play I played a pickup game versus a guy and lost in OT, only to find out that I was playing him in the actual tournament in the 2nd round.  Struggled versus him and won 7-3 as the Bucs versus the Bolts.  Than moved on after that in the round of 16 against the Bills as the Oilers 14-10, the game could have gone either way.  Following that game I got a good break in that Luke lost to Nick (I guess Luke won or did really good the year prior) in one of the wildest finishes I had seen in a while.  I think there was 3 straight interceptions in the last two minutes and Nick went from down 7 to winning by three. After Nick's emotional high, I beat him 24-7 as the Chiefs versus the Bengals to advance to the final four.

In the final four I was owned by eventual champion Cory (Noonan) 24-0 Jets vs NO and Justin Peters 17-3 Chiefs against Dolphins.  So got my money back for the 4th place payout and had a good time.  A couple of other notables, the card collection of Noonan's was fun to see.  Entry fee into the tournament meant we all got packs of football cards. My batch of cards had 6 coaches in it, including both Colts and Patriots coaches.  There was a guy at the event that had a "Crabcakes and Football that's what Maryland does" trucker hat, which is now on my list of purchases.

Knobbe did a great job running the show, the bar was a great setting, can't wait to go again!

Recap from the unlikely of champs.
I carpooled with other central Iowans Justin Peters and Jeremy S.

For 3 hours Jeremy and I played on the laptop with original (USB adapted) NES controllers.  Lot of trash talking for such a confined space.

Good to see the old competitors again:  Kramer, Moulds, Knobbe, Luke, Chris.

I started my pool play against Mike who had never played in competition and seemed to struggle to out of the team data screen. He won the coin toss and said "I'm Buffalo". After I explained to him how it works, he finally just said, "you can be SF".  I did everything in my power to take it easy but ended the game 38-0.  His favorite line was "why can't Thurman break a tackle", I guess I should have advised him to tap the A button.

I went 2-1 in pool play, getting beat by the TecmoGodfather 28-14.  I think I called a Mia-Chi match-up where he proceeded to run the Bears all over me.

The tournament bracket first 2 rounds were interesting.  I was playing my own Round of 16 game while Luke was being upset by a player I had not heard of.

Craig P, the eventually runner up got schooled in pool play but never looked back and went on a streak of his own.

Early tournament round highlight was playing Kramer from Mason City. It was a Lions vs Vikings match. The purple people eaters racked up 11 points early by forcing consecutive safeties.  It was 2nd quarter before Kramer got in his 3rd play from scrimmage.  The final score was a 17pt spread.  Kramer did bring his significant other, so props to him for attempting to distract me in that game.

My miracle highlight was my elite 8 match-up against Jeremy, where I selected Giants/Bills and got Giants.

I was down 7 with the ball, under a minute left in the game, and found Bavaro in excellent condition, tossed it to him from my endzone, he caught it (covered catch) with the drone on me also.  The drone pop-corned off, and after I out-tapped Jeremy, walked 5 yards for the tie.  I won the overtime coin flip and drove for a running touchdown.

My final 4 game against Jon was over-hyped. After Jon watched me beat Jeremy he clammed-up and ended up getting shut-out. 24-0, Saints over Jets.

My championship game with Craig P was a slow drain.  Craig (Cin) ran the ball 95% of the time but failed to cross the goal line.  Many lucky picked plays and 4-and-outs kept Craig to 2 field goals.  I too scored a couple field goals in the first half but had a needed break-out run to put me in scoring position as time was running out.  I scored a running TD less than a minute left to go up 7pts.  Craig went to pass to tie it up but Boomer was cold.  122+ rushing yards but no passing yards for CIN as the Bears take home the trophy.

I heard Peters vs Craig P (semifinal) was a nail-biter, but worked in my favor.  In practice games I don't think I scored a point vs Justin Peters so I was glad to not play him in tournament play.

The tourney went a hour long as Knobbe indicated likely because I would have rather socialized then be eliminated.  To the victor goes the spoils I guess.
Unlikely tourney win for me but I'll take it and run.  Lots of head-to-head practice was my key to going deep in the touney.  Practiced the week before with JEbigred, then 4 consecutive hours before the tournament start with Peters, Jeremy and Chris (who eliminated me last year and I paid back my respects).

Atmosphere was good as usual.  The chicken strips orders took less than 3 minutes.... another tournament surprise.

See you all next time, and/or in Madison.

-Noonan

Edited by noonan

• DFM unpinned this topic
On 2/4/2016 at 2:57 PM, noonan said:

Recap from the unlikely of champs.
I carpooled with other central Iowans Justin Peters and Jeremy S.

For 3 hours Jeremy and I played on the laptop with original (USB adapted) NES controllers.  Lot of trash talking for such a confined space.

Good to see the old competitors again:  Kramer, Moulds, Knobbe, Luke, Chris.

I started my pool play against Mike who had never played in competition and seemed to struggle to out of the team data screen. He won the coin toss and said "I'm Buffalo". After I explained to him how it works, he finally just said, "you can be SF".  I did everything in my power to take it easy but ended the game 38-0.  His favorite line was "why can't Thurman break a tackle", I guess I should have advised him to tap the A button.

I went 2-1 in pool play, getting beat by the TecmoGodfather 28-14.  I think I called a Mia-Chi match-up where he proceeded to run the Bears all over me.

The tournament bracket first 2 rounds were interesting.  I was playing my own Round of 16 game while Luke was being upset by a player I had not heard of.

Craig P, the eventually runner up got schooled in pool play but never looked back and went on a streak of his own.

Early tournament round highlight was playing Kramer from Mason City. It was a Lions vs Vikings match. The purple people eaters racked up 11 points early by forcing consecutive safeties.  It was 2nd quarter before Kramer got in his 3rd play from scrimmage.  The final score was a 17pt spread.  Kramer did bring his significant other, so props to him for attempting to distract me in that game.

My miracle highlight was my elite 8 match-up against Jeremy, where I selected Giants/Bills and got Giants.

I was down 7 with the ball, under a minute left in the game, and found Bavaro in excellent condition, tossed it to him from my endzone, he caught it (covered catch) with the drone on me also.  The drone pop-corned off, and after I out-tapped Jeremy, walked 5 yards for the tie.  I won the overtime coin flip and drove for a running touchdown.

My final 4 game against Jon was over-hyped. After Jon watched me beat Jeremy he clammed-up and ended up getting shut-out. 24-0, Saints over Jets.

My championship game with Craig P was a slow drain.  Craig (Cin) ran the ball 95% of the time but failed to cross the goal line.  Many lucky picked plays and 4-and-outs kept Craig to 2 field goals.  I too scored a couple field goals in the first half but had a needed break-out run to put me in scoring position as time was running out.  I scored a running TD less than a minute left to go up 7pts.  Craig went to pass to tie it up but Boomer was cold.  122+ rushing yards but no passing yards for CIN as the Bears take home the trophy.

I heard Peters vs Craig P (semifinal) was a nail-biter, but worked in my favor.  In practice games I don't think I scored a point vs Justin Peters so I was glad to not play him in tournament play.

The tourney went a hour long as Knobbe indicated likely because I would have rather socialized then be eliminated.  To the victor goes the spoils I guess.
Unlikely tourney win for me but I'll take it and run.  Lots of head-to-head practice was my key to going deep in the touney.  Practiced the week before with JEbigred, then 4 consecutive hours before the tournament start with Peters, Jeremy and Chris (who eliminated me last year and I paid back my respects).

Atmosphere was good as usual.  The chicken strips orders took less than 3 minutes.... another tournament surprise.

See you all next time, and/or in Madison.

-Noonan

Great run. Congrats man!