Y'all, I am so new -- Where do I start?

richt03

Hi everyone,

I am wanting to get a new football sim video game, and am looking at bringing back Tecmo Bowl.  

How do I get the PC version?    We have a laptop, so we could play the game on a PC.

Would love to receive some help here.   Also, I'm trying to locate the college football version to Tecmo Bowl which is titled "Tecmo Super Bowl College." 

Help from anybody would just be fantastic here.

Thanks,

Rod Hayes

Hi Rod, you need two main items to play TSB on your computer: (1) Nintendo emulator software, like Nestopia, and (2) the game file (with a .nes extension).  You can download these two things from the Downloads tab of this site.

Right now, as far as I know, you have 3 choices in a game file if you want to play TSB with this year's NFL rosters -- TB.org's official release, QBVikings, and Tecmonster's (mine).  The latter two versions contain lots of hacks/edits, while the first one plays very true to the original game.

We're also wanting to play the college game with a passion.   I've been looking for the version titled "Tecmo Super Bowl College" as it is described online off a Google search.   I also saw the college champions download, and I'm very much interested in Tecmo Super Bowl 2016 of course.   It looks fantastic.

Can you help me with finding the college football Tecmo Bowl that has 32 college teams that includes Alabama, Georgia, Nebraska, and Notre Dame?

I imagine I'll have to buy some joysticks that'll be compatible with my laptop.   I hope they're out there.

Thanks for your added help a minute ago or so.

~ Rod

There are some guys here working on a college rom right now.  Just periodically check that Downloads section to see if it's available.

Yes, laptops, desktops, basically any Windows machine will run Nestopia.

There are tons of options for joysticks/controllers.  My league uses the Logitech Gamepad 310, which you can buy from Amazon or Ebay for about $18 each, shipped.

Hi everyone,

I am wanting to get a new football sim video game, and am looking at bringing back Tecmo Bowl.  

How do I get the PC version?    We have a laptop, so we could play the game on a PC.

Would love to receive some help here.   Also, I'm trying to locate the college football version to Tecmo Bowl which is titled "Tecmo Super Bowl College." 

Help from anybody would just be fantastic here.

Thanks,

Rod Hayes

Hey Rod - if you go to this link http://tecmobowl.org/files/file/428-tecmobowlorg-presents-tecmo-super-bowl-2016/- it will have everything you need with instructions. Let me know if you need more help.

So Tecmonster,

I guess this controller (Logitech Gamepad F310 Wired Controller for PC - USB) will cover for what the system requires.   I'll purchase one on Ebay then if that's the case.   Is the Logitech Gamepad F310 the same as what you previously described as being the "Logitech Gamepad 310?"   

I'll just listen out for your response, and then purchase this item on Ebay.   My brother is sick and stuck at home and really needs this outlet - or escape - to play Tecmo Bowl.   This is a great great game too!

EA Sports NCAA series is done, and we are searching for a nice replacement.   I'm pretty sure I have found it.   : ) 

Hi daviefmurray.

Hey.  I'm trying to work run the system you described via Windows.   Now, my laptop has stopped me.   It says I need some file called "d3dx9_42.dll" that my computer is apparently missing.   I wonder how I could obtain that missing piece?

I'd be grateful for anyone's help here.

Thanks

~ Rod

Hi daviefmurray.

Hey.  I'm trying to work run the system you described via Windows.   Now, my laptop has stopped me.   It says I need some file called "d3dx9_42.dll" that my computer is apparently missing.   I wonder how I could obtain that missing piece?

I'd be grateful for anyone's help here.

Thanks

~ Rod

That's a DirectX issue. You'll need to update it to the modern times. ;) You can do so here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?DisplayLang=en&id=35

So Tecmonster,

I guess this controller (Logitech Gamepad F310 Wired Controller for PC - USB) will cover for what the system requires.   I'll purchase one on Ebay then if that's the case.   Is the Logitech Gamepad F310 the same as what you previously described as being the "Logitech Gamepad 310?"   

I'll just listen out for your response, and then purchase this item on Ebay.   My brother is sick and stuck at home and really needs this outlet - or escape - to play Tecmo Bowl.   This is a great great game too!

EA Sports NCAA series is done, and we are searching for a nice replacement.   I'm pretty sure I have found it.   : ) 

Yes, the Logitech Gamepad F310.  Ebay does have a lot of cheap, used ones.

Thanks both davefmurray and tecmonster.   Tecmonster, I purchased that remote controller Logitech Gamepad F310 for my younger brother last night.   Maybe I can order a 2nd one very soon.    Davefmurray.   I'll try out the Microsoft product you described.   Thanks a ton guys.

Hey guys.   I'm still in the dark.   I finally got Nestopia up and running.   However, on step #3, I bogged down.

Step #3 is listed as such:  From Nestopia, File > Open and find your .nes ROM

Guys.   I don't know what ".nes ROM" is.....?    When I was able to open up file from Nestopia, I saw packages inside, but I didn't see any .nes ROM.

Do I need to next download a Tecmo Bowl season like Tecmo Bowl 2016?    Or is this .nes ROM application supposed to be located before I start inserting Tecmo Bowl seasons?    I really want that Greatest College Teams Tecmo Bowl.   I found and downloaded a 2013 season NCAA Football Tecmo Bowl on a different website.

But I just want to be able to run Tecmo Bowl period.   I'd love to see Seattle's Marshawn Lynch running around on my screen with his dredlocks flying with the wind.

I'll just see if anyone can help here.  Thanks

Thanks.   I dropped those .NES files inside the Nestopia application where it says File -- and then Open.   I can get the application to run and it will play the introductory song and show the stadium and cheerleaders followed by legendary football players.   That all looks wonderful.   Again, our Logitech Gamepad F310 joystick needs to come in the mail in the next couple of days before this thing is really rolling.   

I hope I can get further into the game system next.   I've seen its introduction.  I hope I can go further.   Right now it just plays the into over and over as we listen to the old school video game music (which I love).

I think I'm going to be OK.  I finally mashed "enter" on my keyboard, and now all it seems that I need is my Logitech joystick -- which will come in the mail like in maybe two days -- just in time for college football Saturday.   I think the game is functioning beautifully.   It seems I just need the old school joystick now attached to my laptop, and then I can plug the laptop up to our TV screen --- and it'll be just like old times.

Hey guys.   Is the [more current] NCAA version (2013 or 2014 seasons) ready for Tecmo Bowl yet?   Tecmonster told me one was in the works.   I saw advertisement for a 32-team NCAA football version of Tecmo Bowl on a Google search, but I can't find it as a download.

Thanks if anyone can help me with this.   I love the NFL too, so it's a win-win either way for us.

Just plugged game up to the plasma screen TV and it looks fabulous.   My brother and mother were stunned.   I just need to controller so I can mash the icons to make them take the game into "game mode."  

I'll try and slow things down when the controller gets here - and follow your steps one step at a time.   Getting Windows to install the controller.  This will be a first for me.   If I have trouble, I'll let you know.   Thanks Tecmonster.

Oh also.   I was able to locate a download to a very recent college football Tecmo Bowl simulation.  Here's its URL:  http://tecmobowl.org/topic/62263-ncaa-2014-season-rom/

Again, thanks for all the support.

We are making a new NCAA rom for this season.  In the meantime, you can try mine from last year.  It plays just like the original TSB.  Click on my signature.

Hey Tecmonster, if you don't mind.  I am trying to work the Logitech controller device into things.   So far though, after going with input and getting inside the game controller options, the laptop is just allowing me to use the keyboard to manipulate the game while the Logitech controller (which is listed) does nothing. 

Now, I did load the Logitech F310 controller into the laptop, and it shows up on the top right hand side of "Input Options" but I'm unable to set it up as the control option.   How do I do this?

Help.  Thanks yall.

~ Rod

PS - all I can do is use the keyboard to manipulate this arcade style Tecmo Bowl game, and that's not good.

Edited by richt03

OK, in the "Type" field, make sure "Pad 1" is highlighted and "Logitech Dual Action" is in the "Joysticks" field.

The "Key" field tells you which direction/button to push when you map your controller.  So, hit the "Set" button below the "Mapping" field and push LEFT on your directional pad (since LEFT is the first Key instruction).  You should then see something appear in the "Mapping" field that should like something like "(joy 0) -x".  Then, repeat this step for each Key instruction.  I never enter anything for "Auto-Fire B", "Auto-Fire A", or "Mic."

If nothing is happening or you're getting weird feedback while you're trying to map, then you'll probably need to hit the center button on the controller that turns the little light on the controller on/off.  That button sort of acts like a power/activate button for the controller and sometimes you need to turn it on (if it's off) or off (if it's already on) if the controller is not responding.

Thanks Tecmonster.   We are now completely enjoying this so very much.

Hey.  One last question about game enhancement.  It's not for me, but it's for my brother who loves 1988 Notre Dame and its QB Tony Rice.   I loved playing with the CollegeChampsPlayoffEdition.nes.   

But we just need one small enhancement here.   Tony Rice's max speed is set at 44 on the file CollegeChampsPlayoffEdition.nes.   I need for it to be 56.    He turned a 67 yard touchdown run in '88, and I'm just hoping that someone can edit my little brother's player Tony Rice.  Everything else is just wonderful with the game design.   I was just hopeful though that Tony Rice could be given a max speed of 56 to show his option QB running skills -- (if someone could please give us a custom made option there...?).   Thanks guys.

Again, thanks Tecmonster for the help with wiring everything together.   The game now plays wonderfully off our TV set (from our laptop).   It beats EA Sports 2014 NCAA by a mile!!!!  

Edited by richt03