NHL guru(s) needed for future NHL project

Baron von Lector

I think I am venturing into new territory with one of my next projects.  I have never seen an NHL NES ROM update done, so I would like to be the one to do it.  However, my problem lies in the fact that I knew the NHL very well in the 90's, but not so much now.  Aside from Sidney Crosby and the elites of the NHL, outside of the New York Rangers, I don't know as much as I would like.  So, in order to create an accurate NHL ROM, this becomes problematic.

What I need is this:  I have 288 players that need ratings done.  More than one person can contribute to this project, as I will take all ratings submitted into consideration.  I like more than one person contributing, because it eliminates the possibility of ratings based on home-town bias.

The position players will be rated on five categories:  Shot Speed (1-9), Quickness (1-9), Speed (1-9), Defense (1-9), and Power (1-99).

Goalies will be rated on five different categories:  Stick (1-9), Reaction (1-9), Mobility (1-9), Glove (1-9), and Power (1-99).

For reference, in the original Pro Sport Hockey, the following players were rated as follows:

Mark Messier:    9, 8, 9, 8, 99

Kevin Hatcher:   9, 7, 8, 7, 93

Brian Leetch:     9, 9, 9, 8, 97

Wayne Gretzky:  9, 9, 9, 9, 99

Tony Granato:    8, 9, 9, 8, 89

Marty McSorley: 6, 6, 6, 6, 80

John Vanbiesbrouck (goalie):  8, 8, 8, 8, 90

Kelly Hrudey (goalie):              7, 8, 8, 8, 87

Patrick Roy (goalie):                9, 9, 9, 9, 87

T.Soderstrom (goalie):             7, 7, 7, 7, 90

Until I post the actual rosters that I will be using, if you are interested in contributing to this project, respond to this thread.  I need people who REALLY know the present-day NHL. 

Pro Sport Hockey (USA).nes

Edited by Baron von Lector

I've been to the site

You might want to check out this site. -> http://nhl94.com/

I've checked out this site which is where I determined that an NES update hasn't been done.  As far as ratings information goes, after jumping a few links, the most updated information I could find was based on the 2013 season.  I may have overlooked something. 

I've been to the site

I've checked out this site which is where I determined that an NES update hasn't been done.  As far as ratings information goes, after jumping a few links, the most updated information I could find was based on the 2013 season.  I may have overlooked something. 

Seems like there are fairly current rosters for both SNES and Gens

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php/forum/121-downloads/

2014-15 FANTASY HOCKEY CHAMPION HERE :razz:

If there's an NHL project, I am always willing to help... although I have never played Pro Sports Hockey.  I actually did an Ice Hockey hack last year to replace the Olympic teams with the Original Six.  Unfortunately never finished some of the graphics so I never posted it anywhere.

post-5893-0-62236500-1442342857_thumb.pn

Anyways, crazy at work right now, but will write more later on.

nhl16.png

Alright, I've got all the rosters selected for the ROM.  So as not to flood this thread with a 350-line post, I've posted the players to be rated on my BaronROMS website (https://baronroms.wordpress.com/2015/09/15/nes-nhl-hockey-2016/).

As stated earlier, the position players will be rated on five categories:  Shot Speed (1-9), Quickness (1-9), Speed (1-9), Defense (1-9), and Power (1-99).

Goalies will be rated on five different categories:  Stick (1-9), Reaction (1-9), Mobility (1-9), Glove (1-9), and Power (1-99).

For reference, in the original Pro Sport Hockey, the following players were rated as follows:

Mark Messier:    9, 8, 9, 8, 99

Kevin Hatcher:   9, 7, 8, 7, 93

Brian Leetch:     9, 9, 9, 8, 97

Wayne Gretzky:  9, 9, 9, 9, 99

Tony Granato:    8, 9, 9, 8, 89

Marty McSorley: 6, 6, 6, 6, 80

John Vanbiesbrouck (goalie):  8, 8, 8, 8, 90

Kelly Hrudey (goalie):              7, 8, 8, 8, 87

Patrick Roy (goalie):                9, 9, 9, 9, 87

T.Soderstrom (goalie):             7, 7, 7, 7, 90

Alright, I've got all the rosters selected for the ROM.  So as not to flood this thread with a 350-line post, I've posted the players to be rated on my BaronROMS website (https://baronroms.wordpress.com/2015/09/15/nes-nhl-hockey-2016/).

Nice.  When are you planning on completing this?  I may need a few days (or week).

Also, I'm not familiar with the game at all.  What are the ranges for each attribute?  Is it realistic to give a player a 1 Speed?

Edited by Bodom

Sweet, i'll look at this and get it back to you ASAP.

Question though, is the power attribute basically like an overall rating for the player out of 99 or does it affect something on the ice (hitting or something)?

I think the Power might have something to do with endurance.  Mark Messier and Wayne Gretzky had a 99, while Brian Leetch had a 97.  Thumbing through, one of the lower scores I saw was Marty McSorley with 80.

Nice.  When are you planning on completing this?  I may need a few days (or week).

Also, I'm not familiar with the game at all.  What are the ranges for each attribute?  Is it realistic to give a player a 1 Speed?

I look at starting this within the next few days.  Because I'm relying 100% on a hex editor, I'll probably start it once everybody is rated and work top-to-bottom.  The ranges are between 1-10, however, the lowest score I saw while briefly going through some players was Marty McSorley who had 6 across the board.  Tomorrow morning I'm going to dig further in and see what ranges were actually used.

Alright, I've got all the rosters selected for the ROM. 

I was just looking over the rosters and it looks like this ROM will only contain 24 teams.  The teams that were left off were Arizona, Carolina, Florida, Columbus, Dallas and Nashville.

Just my 2 cents - do with it as you wish.

Columbus, Dallas and Nashville were all decent teams last year.  I would consider replacing Toronto, Buffalo and New Jersey with those teams.  Those were pretty bad (and boring) teams, although Buffalo has Eichel this year.

Also went through the goalies and they are pretty accurate.  There's a few teams that will have some battles before a clear starter will be named (DET, CGY, STL), but I like what you have.

MIN:  Debnyk = Dubnyk

EDM: Schrivens = Scrivens

OTTOWA = OTTAWA

Will check forwards/defense later on.

I was just looking over the rosters and it looks like this ROM will only contain 24 teams.  The teams that were left off were Arizona, Carolina, Florida, Columbus, Dallas and Nashville.

Just my 2 cents - do with it as you wish.

Columbus, Dallas and Nashville were all decent teams last year.  I would consider replacing Toronto, Buffalo and New Jersey with those teams.  Those were pretty bad (and boring) teams, although Buffalo has Eichel this year.

Also went through the goalies and they are pretty accurate.  There's a few teams that will have some battles before a clear starter will be named (DET, CGY, STL), but I like what you have.

MIN:  Debnyk = Dubnyk

EDM: Schrivens = Scrivens

OTTOWA = OTTAWA

Will check forwards/defense later on.

I imagine I probably had a lot of typos on the list.  I quickly threw the list together in about 30 minutes.  lol

I won't take credit for accurately setting the rosters.  I relied 100% on http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/depth-charts/nhl.aspx

As far as team selection goes, I would like to try to keep the team names untouched, except for the obvious Quebec to Colorado, and such.  I did swap out Hartford with Anaheim, though.  Hartford doesn't exist (except for in Carolina), anymore, and I couldn't leave Anaheim out.

Thanks for looking it over.  If you see any obvious omissions, by all means, let me know.

As far as team selection goes, I would like to try to keep the team names untouched, except for the obvious Quebec to Colorado, and such.

I noticed a lot of the missing teams were expansion and figured that's what it came down to.  I'll just check for the obvious stuff with the F/D.

Just about all of the rosters look great.  A few minor suggestions.

NYI: I would try to get Ryan Strome in at LW.

NYR: RW2 = Kevin Hayes

VAN:  D.Dedin = D.Sedin

WPG:  LW2 = M.Perreault

For St. Louis, I would do this.

C1 - P.Stastny

C2 - J.Lehtera

LW - A.Steen

LW - J.Schwartz

RW - V.Tarasenko

RW - D.Backes