Unhackable ROMs? (View ROM file vs View PPU memory)

Baron von Lector

My ROM editing queue currently consists of Tecmo NBA 2015-16 and Eastern League AA Baseball 2015.  Afterwards, I want to create an NHL 2015-16 ROM using Pro Sport Hockey (I've attached the ROM to this thread), a game with an NHL Players' license, but no team license.  It was easy enough to find, via FCEUX's hex-editor, where I change the data to change a player's name, jersey, and stats/ratings.  I'll have to change the information sprite-by-sprite, but it's easy to do.

However, I want to change the way some teams show up on the team-select screen (ex:  QUE to COL).  Again, using FCEUX's PPU Viewer and hex editor (viewing "ROM File"), I search for the string of sprites and my searches come up blank.  Because the sprites are parts of letters, I assume I'm looking for the incorrect sprites.

So, to make sure I'm not daft, I do a simple obvious search for the sprites that spell out the word "GROUP" (see picture below).  The string is "16211E241F" according to the PPU viewer on the right.  Still nothing shows up.  Something's up.

untitled.jpg

I notice on the hex editor, there is an option to "View PPU Memory," so I click on that and am brought to an entirely new hex editor.  I search for the "GROUP" string, and miraculously it shows up.  Playing around, I change some of the hex values and instantly in the emulator the sprites change.  Jackpot!  Just to test it, I click on "Save" and re-load the ROM.  The changes don't stick like they do if I had changed it in "View ROM file" mode. 

So, my question... Is it possible to save hex changes made in "View PPU memory" mode like they can be saved while in "View ROM file" mode, or am I out of luck?

Much thanks in advance!

Pro Sport Hockey (USA).nes

So, my question... Is it possible to save hex changes made in "View PPU memory" mode like they can be saved while in "View ROM file" mode, or am I out of luck?

No. Essentially you're editing the ram.

Is this something easy to learn, or am I trying to tame an entirely new dragon?

He answered this question: "Is it possible to save hex changes made in 'View PPU memory'" and not your actual question.

Yes, you are out of luck for this particular way of editing. Editing the the PPU memory is 'essentially editing the RAM' which gets wiped on boot. You'll probably need to find the pointer for that text string before you edit it. When I get a bit of free time I'll see if I can help out.

He answered this question: "Is it possible to save hex changes made in 'View PPU memory'" and not your actual question.

Yes, you are out of luck for this particular way of editing. Editing the the PPU memory is 'essentially editing the RAM' which gets wiped on boot. You'll probably need to find the pointer for that text string before you edit it. When I get a bit of free time I'll see if I can help out.

Thanks!  It's almost as if Jaleco knew the game was going to be hacked 23 years later and they wanted to make it as difficult as possible.  I can go half-way on it and use TileLayerPro to at least change the sprites above the text as a worst-case scenario.  At the moment, I'm just kinda feeling out the ROM to see what can and can't be done.

It's funny, because on my Nintendo World Cup 2014 ROM, some countries could be changed hexually/hexishly/hexically (which is proper?) while others used the RAM method.  I'm lucky that I was able to change "W.Germany" to "Germany".  Although it would have been nice to change "Holland" to "Netherlands".

Is this something easy to learn, or am I trying to tame an entirely new dragon?

I'm telling you that you can't modify anything in the PPU editor because it's dynamic memory that will be erased.

GROUP not showing up as usual is a little weird...I guess it has something to do with either the lack of text on this screen or repeating text. However, you're never going to find a text version of the letters like PHX or MIN because we're talking about drawing big letters using 4 tiles.  It's going to be a matter of figuring out how this screen is drawing any of the times...which is different than text replacement.

It does look like editing the team graphics will be super easy...they're just laid out on the screen

I can go half-way on it and use TileLayerPro to at least change the sprites above the text as a worst-case scenario.

If you change the sprite for one big E, it changes for all of them so that won't work very well.

It does look like editing the team graphics will be super easy...they're just laid out on the screen

Unless I reach a state of enlightenment within the next month, I will leave the text untouched on the team-select screen and just change the team logos because as you state, they're laid out in front of me just begging to be changed.

The actual players were handed to me on a silver platter, too.  I did a search for the string that calls out the sprites spelling out "GARTNER MIKE" and in order, the hex values are laid out in the order of [Player's Name], [Player's Name as it appears during gameplay], [Jersey number], [individual ratings].  Easy.

I'm debating whether or not I will recruit the help of somebody to help me with player ratings or not.  I haven't followed hockey religiously since the late 90's, so I'm not as versed as I should be if I expect to put out an accurate ROM.  However, in a week or so, the new NHL game from EA Sports is coming out and I may use the ratings from the game as a crutch and translate those over to the ROM.