hoffnasty9

Hoff Resignation

I unfortunately cannot complete the season.  I should have read more into what the league was about instead of simply joining.  I filled in for a WTF league for 2 straight seasons.  Gains leagues are not for me.  I loathe the stat padding that happens at the end of the games simply for gains.  I'm sorry Toolie and Peterson, but I cannot continue.  Thanks for giving me a chance though.

Edited by hoffnasty9

Hey man, perhaps there's a misunderstanding.

Players do gain, but all players are redrafted the following season.  So gaining a player doesn't really help you; it's just perhaps a fun bonus if your guy earns a roll/gain for that off-season aging ceremony.  In fact, I (and others may) feel a certain duty to the players I drafted to help them to gain or avoid retirement.

I personally don't try and run up the score if I'm winning even if I want one of my players to get a gain (OK, I'll admit I'd like to gain Chester Marcol because I went to the same college he did).  I think if someone is running up the score on you it reflects more of a one-on-one annoyance than a feature of the league.  Talking with Dukesta, though, it sounds like he just had a big gainer at the end of the game and didn't score.  Be sure, though, that those yards will not benefit Duke in any way, so I think it would be wrong to interpret this as poor sportsmanship (I also didn't like the way people played in gains leagues; always scrambling with QBs and throwing short dumpoffs to RBs, etc, so I tried to engineer this league to have a nice balance of both).

I hope you reconsider, it would be a shame to lose you over this.

I DID take it as poor sportsmanship until he explained.  Once he did, I understood the rationale.  However, if it happens again, I'm going to be just as pissed off about it.  So do I stay until it happens again and then quit or just quit now?  It's nothing against Duke, but playing for gains (to me at least) IS poor sportsmanship.  I played Reg in WTF (nothing against him because it behooved him to play this way) and he was kicking onside kicks all game to maximize his gains.  I know it's not that extreme in this league and I understand it's a redraft, but that doesn't change the fact that to enhance a gain, a player up 20 points with 1 second left ran an unnecessary play.  How is THAT fun?

I see why you don't like it, but ultimately this is one play at the end of the game.  It seems like you're willing to throw the baby out with the bathwater here.  If you really get pissed and it ruins the whole experience for you then by all means step away.  But I think you can still enjoy this league a lot if you have a slightly modified perspective.

I quit dynasty leagues for pretty much the reasons you stated.  I would go into many games with the intention of only gaining Player X, and win or lose I would only be satisfied if Player X had a good game.  I'd get pissed when I saw Player Y on another team go off for 250 yds or collect 3 INTs and cost my player a better chance at a gain.  Towards the end I pretty much was not enjoying playing in those leagues.  None of those drawbacks exist for me here because the gains only affect the pool of players for the following season and all I really have to focus on is winning my games.  The WTF dynasty structure was used because it was already in place in Brooks' phile structure and would be easy to implement with his help.  Every once in a while there might be a play that reminds me of gain-hawking but for the most part the focus of this league is winning.  I severely doubt you will see intentional onside kicks like you mentioned above (which I encountered in those other leagues as well).

Edited by toolie

I hate the gains, even if we don't keep the player. I just don't see the point at all. I wish we could nix that part.

with new rookies coming in and oldies out y wouldnt there be a change in the actual players in the league.. just changes up the dynamic.. makes it more interesting to draft i would think.. 

Edited by ChaosConffetti

with new rookies coming in and oldies out y wouldnt there be a change in the actual players in the league.. just changes up the dynamic.. makes it more interesting to draft i would think.. 

I figure that the players / stat change that "naturally" occurred in WTFR would be enough. If the player got a gain in the WTFR season, they get one in HSRL - with the gain automatically being attributed to where it went in WTFR. So, players "stats" do fluctuate up and down, rookies come in, vets come out, and there aren't any stupid ass gains. Seems simple to me, but I know people like them, I just hate them. Even when an owner doesn't keep a player, seeing a dude go for the gain just kills any sense of real competition. The second someone isn't playing simply to win, it's ruined for me.

i hear yah.. i personally love gain leagues and when in them i try very hard to gain.. i dont run it up or anything like that most of the time.. however in this league i never find myself going for gains just for wins.. its a weird balance but i like it.. i call it hstl with a kick.. 

Initially the idea was to just use yearly WTF:R rosters (i.e. their gains/aging/retirements) but when Brooks made a phile for us we had the ability to implement the gains based on our own stats.  I felt this made a lot more sense in terms of who was gaining/aging/retiring; using the WTF:R results would have looked really random and you would have had strange players becoming studs / retiring.  With the current system the good players in the league should even more closely resemble the players that were actually good (nobody is drafting a schmo who hits a low chance at a 44ms line and intentionally building them into a 63ms back).  Also, we've insulated players from having a chance at retiring until they're 26. 

For folks that don't like the influence of gains on a league I feel like the extremely minor influence they have on gameplay in HSRL should be acceptable. 

I agree that it's a small influence, or else I wouldn't stay in the league. In some ways it's more interesting than HSTL because the personnel changes - but I think it would do that without the gains.

But I've played against people obviously going for gains, and people have approached me with the "make sure not to let so and so kill you, so that my guy can get the gain" conversation. It's a much smaller sample than existed in WTF.

I can deal with it, but I also understand where Hoff is coming from.

How I miss real GAIN leagues.  Classic and Retro were so much fun.  Tecmo is boring now.

There was so much fire in Tecmo then.  All the stuff Toolie explained about watching others players, going for GAINs, getting pissed off at poeple's good games, all the under cover seed planting trying to get people to defend or do what would benefit your guys, all the getting shitty on the boards.....it was wonderful.  It made people care.  It made people hate...and hate drives.  It made controversy.....and controversy drives.  Come on.....you cant tell me some of you guys dont miss hating TecmoBo for the trades he would swing....hating the Classic trade Kyle and I made just because it was Kyle and I....hating Daboy for getting 3 bills rushing and hating his opponent for being such a dumbass and letting it happen.....that was Tecmo in its prime.

You want a challenge in Tecmo?  Get a QB, RB, WR, OL, DL, and DB all in the top 5 to get GAIN chances (and reduce retirement chances), all while onside kicking....AND STILL WIN....tough as hell.... and it was so much fun.

We had Tecmo on heroin....now we have Tecmo on Carmel lattes....I wonder why everyone is so blase.

Close Classic and Retro....its killed Tecmo mojo...good idea...

(Had to edit to add a "being")

Edited by Ones11fahzu

Ooo....I forgot to mention how much better playing in those leagues made you for LIVE tournaments.  Imagine playing against Arncoem's 56RS 56RP 69MS 69HP 56INT LB twice per year......Or Stalltalk's 69MS 81 INT DB every year.....or Daboy with a 63 MS RB every time......You better figure out how to run, pass, defend against that or you are effed.

You have to learn plays, and learn how to use blockers and blocking assignments, learn your progressions...... to do .....well.....anything.....

Now go to a tournament and try to run with Blair Thomas against the Steelers defense, and watch how much better you are because you've been learning how to run/pass against a league full of LTs and Haddixs.

You bubbies are missing out.

Consecutively the best posts in this thread.

The gains persona really depends on your perspective. If you're a W's and L's kind of person, they are not for you. If you like multiple goals while still trying to achieve W's, then gain leagues are for you.

There is no right or wrong, just personal preference. It's obvious Matt and I took pleasure in trying to amass as many stats as possible while still racking up W's. It added another challenge to the game for us personally. That doesn't make it wrong. That doesn't make it right. It's just how we feel and approached it.

Edited by regulator088

Consecutively the best posts in this thread.

The gains persona really depends on your perspective. If you're a W's and L's kind of person, they are not for you. If you like multiple goals while still trying to achieve W's, then gain leagues are for you.

There is no right or wrong, just personal preference. It's obvious Matt and I took pleasure in trying to amass as many stats as possible while still racking up W's. It added another challenge to the game for us personally. That doesn't make it wrong. That doesn't make it right. It's just how we feel and approached it.

Sounds like you guys would enjoy the new WTF!  :razz:   You're right that it's all about preference.  I really don't miss it, but I'm sure many people love it.  However, I don't think we're in this lull because those leagues were eliminated. 

Tecmo on, people!

Ooo....I forgot to mention how much better playing in those leagues made you for LIVE tournaments.  Imagine playing against Arncoem's 56RS 56RP 69MS 69HP 56INT LB twice per year......Or Stalltalk's 69MS 81 INT DB every year.....or Daboy with a 63 MS RB every time......You better figure out how to run, pass, defend against that or you are effed.

You have to learn plays, and learn how to use blockers and blocking assignments, learn your progressions...... to do .....well.....anything.....

Now go to a tournament and try to run with Blair Thomas against the Steelers defense, and watch how much better you are because you've been learning how to run/pass against a league full of LTs and Haddixs.

You bubbies are missing out.

I have been saying this for years. Good post. The best practice for console play is using the likes of Joe Namath and a 56/ 38RP MS DB to prepare you for console tournaments versus the 63-69 MS Rb's and 75 INT guys all over da place   ;-)  ;-)  ;-)  ;-)

Edited by MattyD