(NES) Tecmonster's TSB 2016 rom

Tecmonster

first of all, you have done an amazing job.  very well done.  i love the new plays and formation.  i just grabbed the dolphins and ran with the stock playbook and it plays very well.

my only beef is the moving blocking/grapple.  i'm not sure what algorithm you are using, but SUH, got pushed back by just about anyone including RGIII.  I have seen RGIII on ocassion push back on topple over people,, which should never happen.

also, after the first week of football in the books, the leading passer was johhnny manziel who was 8 of 8 for 5 TD.  that's just crazy talk right there.

Hm, I'm not sure what might be happening there, but it's the same moving grapple hack that was used in last year's game.  I just tested him against a 50 HP lineman and Suh was clearly stronger on every play, either by pushing the lineman back or busting through immediately.  Those are COM vs. COM grapples though. 

If Griffin is winning grapples, I'm sure he's doing it either (1) during the Zone Read QB L play, which contains a big HP boost for the QB, or (2) during encounters with 13 HP cornerbacks.

Edited by Tecmonster

Hm, I'm not sure what might be happening there, but it's the same moving grapple hack that was used in last year's game.  I just tested him against a 50 HP lineman and Suh was clearly stronger on every play, either by pushing the lineman back or busting through immediately.  Those are COM vs. COM grapples though. 

If Griffin is winning grapples, I'm sure he's doing it either (1) during the Zone Read QB L play, which contains a big HP boost for the QB, or (2) during encounters with 13 HP cornerbacks.

yeah, it was on a QB run, he got off butchered a couple Defensive tackles for a long run.....i was waiting for the injury cut scene and instead, he rambled for like 35 yards.

it's all good.  i really like the rom.  you have done a great job.  very polished.  I think your offensive playbook is about the most updated from the 1990s run and shoot to todays modern offsense.

Thanks philley. 

By the way, bruddog authored those grapple hacks -- dynamic (which increases the # of grappling wins and losses, instead of a bunch of never-ending tie-ups that are common in the OG) and moving.  Anyone who really likes those effects in this game may want to hit up his PayPal donate button, and hopefully we'll keep him motivated to keep churning out more cool stuff like that.

Fantastic job with this rom - thanks very much to you and the team for all your hard work.

I was going to upload the x3ffc0 repair file, but the site won't let me upload zip files right now, so maybe later.

Any chance we could get the repair file? I'd like to make a roster change.

another excellent rom, great job. like the new playbook a lot.

only have one real complaint....maybe its just me, or maybe my team isnt as good as it was in the 2015 game (seahawks), but i find defense a LOT harder to play in this one....especially stopping the run in my opinion. if i cant angle the runner to the sideline and do a diving tackle, its next to impossible to stop them, as virtually all running backs truck over all my DBs. i personally like playing as a cornerback or safey rather than a linebacker or pass rusher....even kam chancellor gets killed by everybody lol. also, it seems like its way harder to play coverage...found the rest of my defense out of position often even when i called a pass defense on a pass play. and sometimes i'd play the right coverage, and the COM wide receiver would somehow beat triple coverage with sherman thomas and kam all swarmed lol. felt in last year's game you would be rewarded for playing good man to man defense and unless you blew a coverage, you'd stop more passes.

kinda nitpicking, but nevertheless, having lots of fun with it. the biggest thing was wishing the defense wasnt so powerless against blockers and RBs

HP is very important when choosing a defender.  If you're trying to tackle a power back with a typically light-hitting defensive back, then he probably won't be able to make the tackle by himself.  You either have to hope he hangs on long enough for your cavalry to arrive and finish the tackle, or dive tackle. 

Chancellor has 56 HP, which is good enough to take down most ballcarriers by himself.

• 2 weeks later...

I got done playing a season and found a problem with this ROM.  The receiving stats accumulated by the computer controlled teams are out of whack. For Seattle for example Lynch has 747 receiving yards, Fred Jackson has 600, Baldwin 683, Kearse 0, and Jimmy Graham 0.  The number two receiver and the tight end for each team accumulates no stats. Spiller for the Saints was the leading receiver at the end of the year with 2,042 yards. 

Yeah, I just use the "auto-update" button in TSBToolSupreme to set the sim #'s for each player, but it doesn't work well.  When you play out the games in real-time, you see that the COM does use all its receivers, but a sim game is obviously a different story.  I just don't care enough about sim stats to spend the time to manually assign those values. 

Yeah, I just use the "auto-update" button in TSBToolSupreme to set the sim #'s for each player, but it doesn't work well.  When you play out the games in real-time, you see that the COM does use all its receivers, but a sim game is obviously a different story.  I just don't care enough about sim stats to spend the time to manually assign those values. 

You might want to check this out

http://tecmobowl.org/topic/61820-nfc-west-sim-stats/

There's no separate issue, as far as I can tell, with the NFC West sim ratings (I'm pretty sure those issues have already been corrected).  His complaint is how all teams ignore WR2 and TE in the sim stats.  I know exactly why that's happening (the 3rd and 4th sim #'s of RB1, RB2, and WR1 already "fill up" the total sim value limit), but have never taken the time to manually correct that.

• 3 weeks later...

I beat Seattle with stock Cincinnati! Lynch ran twice, both for a TD of about 60yrds plus on his first two runs. The first time I didn't get to him and no one else touched him. The second time I got to him, he trucked me, then proceeded to truck 3 other players before running so fast no one could catch up! Then he got injured! Still a little out of whack but at least I beat them!

Edited by paladyr

• 3 weeks later...

Something freaking awesome just-happened in my excrutiatingly majestic Week 16 win over the Patriots:

Fitzpatrick threw an interception on a fly route intended for Marshall.

Marshall entered into a grapple immediately upon defender's intercepting, at about NE's 6 yd line.

Marshall grappled defender back into their own endzone.

Resulting in Safety.

Something freaking awesome just-happened in my excrutiatingly majestic Week 16 win over the Patriots:

Fitzpatrick threw an interception on a fly route intended for Marshall.

Marshall entered into a grapple immediately upon defender's intercepting, at about NE's 6 yd line.

Marshall grappled defender back into their own endzone.

Resulting in Safety.

The backward progress safety hasn't yet happened in our league, but I'm expecting a shattered controller when it finally does happen.

• 9 months later...

Quick question:

I cannot decide if this version is "juiced" or not.  I like the grapples and all that -- but in general it seems like the computer is playing a little soft on defense?

Could that be because I'm playing with Broncos?  Their offense shouldn't be that good....

Thanks.

• 3 months later...

Just had one of my just satisfying tecmo wins ever playing as the Bills. 8-3, week 12 versus the Texans. I lost my starting QB and both starting running backs to injury in the first half. Have a backup RB and receiver in bad condition. Sammy Watkins fumbled 3 times deep in their end, losing all 3. My backup QB missed 3 wide open passes that would have gone for touchdowns. I have Harvin moved to running back. I fight and scrap, keeping it close. It comes to to the last drive, down 21-20. Drive down methodically, purposely trying to milk the clock. Lo and behold Manuel hits Watkins on a td pass, under a minute to go to pull it out. The goats become the heroes at the end. I had no business winning that game but it sure felt good.

Finished 12-4 with the Bills, 5th in defense, 7th in offense. Lost multiple starters 3-4 each. Dominating win versus Colts in first round with backup QB. Lose AFC championship to Broncos. Starting QB out, and 6 skill players in "bad" physical condition. Couldn't mount enough offense. Frustrating team to play with, terrible ball control on a lot of players, fumbling 3-4 times a game. Fun season as usual, tecmonster's ROMS are very difficult to win in the playoffs, have to be at the top of your game.