Sign in to follow this  
rmm1976

Power poll rankings

Did this ever get fixed?  I understand that my 4-3-3 team shouldn't be rated very well since I'm in the weakest division and may not really have quality wins.  But when another team in my division is 0-3-1 and rated higher on the power poll... I don't get that!

Did this ever get fixed?  I understand that my 4-3-3 team shouldn't be rated very well since I'm in the weakest division and may not really have quality wins.  But when another team in my division is 0-3-1 and rated higher on the power poll... I don't get that!

It looks like the system values point differential significantly.  Here is a description of the formula (linked at the bottom of the power poll phile page).

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=37

Perhaps the biggest highlight is

It weights all points equally, and therefore ignores wins and losses - take a look at the Colts season chart above. If you take away 10 points in week 3 and give them back 10 points in week 4, you've just changed their record, but you haven't changed their rating at all. If you take away 10 points in week 3 and give back 20 points in week 4, you have made their record worse but their rating better. Most football fans put a high premium on the few points that move you from a 3-point loss to a 3-point win and almost no weight on the many points that move you from a 20-point win to a 50-point win.

Your point differential seems to be to blame.

ATL's point differential is worse in terms of games played...  And mine is mostly from 2 games (45-0 against Packers, 30-7 against Colts).  Guess that doesn't matter...  At any rate seems like a flawed system.  DET being ahead of the Colts when their SOS is perhaps worst in the league doesn't make sense either.

Just a minor gripe, not asking for anyone to fix anything...  Just pointing out that it's a whack poll IMO

One problem is that SRS doesn't work as well when the two teams in question have wildly different games played and thus strength of schedules

The main reason is that his  schedule has been massively harder so far playing 3 of the best teams of the league. I'll just go one level deep since SRS keeps iterating. 

So far the average of his 4 opponents is a +10 pgg differential. So an average player would be expected to have a -10 ppg vs that schedule he only has a -8.75. Making him +1.25

So far the average of your 10 opponents is a +0.15 pgg differential. So an average player would be expected to have a -0.15 ppg vs but you actually have a -5.6. Making you a -5.4

The iterating brings things closer together.