Mega Man 2 takes #2 spot on my 100 best NES games blog

Green Majik

Great read.  I may be one of the few who actually think Mega Man 1 was the greatest Mega Man game.  Maybe b/c it was the first, and I really love the music and level design / bosses, etc.

Personal favorite (and top 5 of any NES music ever):

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjnnxsWIA_0

Great read.  I may be one of the few who actually think Mega Man 1 was the greatest Mega Man game.  Maybe b/c it was the first, and I really love the music and level design / bosses, etc.

Personal favorite (and top 5 of any NES music ever):

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjnnxsWIA_0

Mega Man 1 was a great game. Pretty hard, too, as games go.

Mega Man 2 IS classic. I played that game so many times, I had the various 'progress codes' memorized.

As much as I played games back in my youth, I've never even tried any of the mega man games. I don't know why neither.

I don't think I have either.  I'm aware of it's popularity, but somehow that dynasty escaped my youth!

Play MM2 then MM3 then MMX then MMX-2 then MM9 and skip the rest.

Play MM2 then MM3 then MMX then MMX-2 then MM9 and skip the rest.

Mega Man is absolutely one of the greatest series of games ever produced.  MM 1 - 4 are all VERY solid games.  Now, MM2 everyone (including myself) is the most popular because it was a breakthrough hit.  But many people don't understand the hidden gem that is MM3.  It's solid in all facets (gameplay, bosses, difficulty, and music) and entertaining to the core.  Many people these days try it, die a lot, then quit.  This game is truly on the brink of MM2 in my personal opinion.

MM5/6 on NES were terrible and complete garbage re-treads of MM.  I would also agree that Mega Man X and X-2 on SNES were fantastic games as well due to their intro into 16-bit graphics and introduction of wall grappling.  I downloaded Mega Man 9 & 10 from the playstation store and they are HARD!!!  They're both games that I caught myself cussing out & taking a short chronic break to rid of my gaming stress.  ;)  

Can't say enough how much I love Mega Man games and will "ball till I fall..."  in the pit....  

I'm excited for those of you who have yet to try MM2. I hope it's a wonderfully new experience.

Mega Man is absolutely one of the greatest series of games ever produced.  MM 1 - 4 are all VERY solid games.  Now, MM2 everyone (including myself) is the most popular because it was a breakthrough hit.  But many people don't understand the hidden gem that is MM3.  It's solid in all facets (gameplay, bosses, difficulty, and music) and entertaining to the core.  Many people these days try it, die a lot, then quit.  This game is truly on the brink of MM2 in my personal opinion.

I'm also looking forward to reviewing MM3. It's a favorite of mine as well (it unofficially sits at #18 on my list). I love what the addition of Mega's slide technique adds to the gameplay. And the music is brilliant as well.

I've never beaten MM1, so I look forward to reviewing the OG (my #76 or so). Haven't played a whole lot of MM4, so I look forward to hitting that one up, too.

this game is a little bit tougher than I imagined it would be.  I haven't and won't look at any strategy guides, so I am going full-on 10-year old noob with this game.  

so far, here is my progress...beat WOODMAN, then I beat METALMAN, then I beat CRASHMAN.

anyways, awesome music.  controls are a little bit sloppy, in my opinion, but I am using an emulator and a 10 year old cracked PS2 controller.  cool game, I hope I can keep it up.

Edited by buck

this game is a little bit tougher than I imagined it would be.  I haven't and won't look at any strategy guides, so I am going full-on 10-year old noob with this game.  

so far, here is my progress...beat WOODMAN, then I beat METALMAN, then I beat CRASHMAN.

anyways, awesome music.  controls are a little bit sloppy, in my opinion, but I am using an emulator and a 10 year old cracked PS2 controller.  cool game, I hope I can keep it up.

I hope you do! It's fun to learn what powers are certain bosses' weaknesses. For instance, there is a particular power you gain from one boss that turns CRASHMAN into dust in seconds.

By the way, how many times did you have to face WOODMAN before taking him out with just Mega's Pellet power? His is a tough battle to start out with; so good work. I hope you make it to Wiley's castle, and beyond. 

I'm at the castle, now, but I just played into it once real quick.  I beat QUICKMAN last, had to use that "F suit" to get thru a few screens.  that took a while, and I almost gave up.  about lost my mind a few times.

but yeah, this game is cool.  

the controls/physics are just a tiny bit funky to me, enough to piss me off from time to time.  one thing that gets me is that the dude kinda slides a little bit when you let off the d-pad.  there is a little bit of a groove to get in, but everyonceandawhile it just responds a little funny.

I think that playing this game on an actual NES is a must - or at least a better emulation set up than I have.  I am gonna look for a MM2 cart.  I can just use my castle PASSWORD.  (I only have one E)

post-5602-0-35260700-1440542283_thumb.pn

Edited by buck

last night I played a bit, and made it to 4th level of castle and ran out of lives (which sucked because I had gained all E tanks).  I got a password, but I didn't check to see if it will let me continue at the 4th level.

at these upper levels, I don't run out of energy, I just die from one wrong move.  found out that the Q boomerang is good against some of those castle bosses.

last night I played a bit, and made it to 4th level of castle and ran out of lives (which sucked because I had gained all E tanks).  I got a password, but I didn't check to see if it will let me continue at the 4th level.

at these upper levels, I don't run out of energy, I just die from one wrong move.  found out that the Q boomerang is good against some of those castle bosses.

I'll tell you now so you won't get pissed when you try tonight.... no, you won't start at the 4th level, you'll have to start at Level 1 of the Wily Castle.  Also, in level 4, you noticed you had to use crash bombs in order to open some of the gates.  Try using some of the gadgets to maneuver around them to kill the wall guns.  If you can't do it all in one try, do as many as possible, die & gain crash energy back then go finish them off the 2nd time.