The Ultimate Tecmo Challenge

brandonj47

And I finally got my arse handed to me by John Elway and the Denver Broncos 35-21--and two of those TD's I scored were last-second scores to close out both halves.

Luckily, my tactics have kept me with the league's number 1 defense all across the board.  Still, all I have so far have been a single forced fumble recovery.

Got the week 4 bye.  Now I have to get ready to face the Chiefs.  I'm on in Kansas City.  I'm on in Kansas City.

What challenge are you doing?

I did a Wimps season, too, just for the helluvit. Maybe that's what Gordon is doing. Think I went 10-6, lost to the Raiders in the WC round. Definitely lost to the Oilers both times I played them during the regular season.

That Grogan though. If Harbaugh gets hurt, it's like your fate is sealed.

Funny.  I wound up winning my first two games with Grogan.

And yes, I a tackling a whole season with the Wimps.  Currently am at 2-1, and am leading in my division (had already beaten the Oilers).

Edit:  Never mind my comment on Lurching.  I just defeated the Kansas City Chiefs 24-7.  Then, I defeated my division rival XXXXX in a massive shutout 58-0.  And is it me, or are all the XXXXX players on that squad black people, and entirely without names?  Hopefully, that's just a graphical oversight, and the XXXXX is simply to avoid trying to work in a 30-game schedule (I do know that this XXXXX team is most likely the Houton Texans, and the Wimps are the Jaguars).

Edited by Mike Gordan

Funny.  I wound up winning my first two games with Grogan.

And yes, I a tackling a whole season with the Wimps.  Currently am at 2-1, and am leading in my division (had already beaten the Oilers).

Edit:  Never mind my comment on Lurching.  I just defeated the Kansas City Chiefs 24-7.  Then, I defeated my division rival XXXXX in a massive shutout 58-0.  And is it me, or are all the XXXXX players on that squad black people, and entirely without names?  Hopefully, that's just a graphical oversight, and the XXXXX is simply to avoid trying to work in a 30-game schedule (I do know that this XXXXX team is most likely the Houton Texans, and the Wimps are the Jaguars).

The challenge is to just play the Wimps vs the Monsters in preseason mode. XXXXX is a team full of blank characters with 0 attributes.

The challenge is to just play the Wimps vs the Monsters in preseason mode. XXXXX is a team full of blank characters with 0 attributes.

Aww...thanks.  I thought it wouldn't have mattered so long as I won the Super Bowl.  Well, I'll give a Preseason matchup a shot before continuing on with my season.

Okay, won my first try 19 - 7.  And just to give you guys an idea on how each of the Monsters' Drive ended, here's how it happened:

1.  I maintained possession of the ball throughout the entire first quarter, and then ran for a touchdown to start the second quarter.

2.  Monsters missed the field goal kick.  Through my conservative play, I only had enough time to settle for a field goal before half-time.  Up 10-0.

3.  Monsters got the ball to start off the half, but Eagles QB fumbled the ball, and I recovered.  Wasted away the entire third quarter to score a quick touchdown pass to start the fourth quarter.  Up 17-0.

4.  Just to add fuel to the fire, I wound up catching the Eagles QB into a Safety.

5.  Unfortunately, the Monsters caught me into an on-side kick.  Monsters Recovered, and drove all the way down the field for a touchdown.

6.  Got the Wimps down to scoring position, but threw a bone-headed pick (and it's ruthlessly difficult to throw the ball around with these receivers, especially against the Monsters' secondary; I only managed about 50 yards passing in total, so as a result, most of my offensive plays were on the ground).

7.  Luckily for me, in spite of the pick, the game was already won; the only question was, would the Monsters' be able to score again in spite my contant punishing of both the running game and half their passing plays (including a trick play)?  The answer to all of these is a resounding no.  Sent them to fourth and out, and I ran out the clock.  Game over.  Wimps defeat the Monsters 19 - 7.

Edit:  Whoops!  Double-posted.  Sorry.

Edit 2:  Meant Monsters instead of Eagles.

Edited by Mike Gordan

I didn't know Eagles could kick, too! Shoot, that guy is truly a triple-threat. Unless he can RETURN kicks, too, in which case he is a ... not sure I can count that high-threat.

But seriously, I was surprised in my many Wimps vs Monsters attempts at how many times I was able to block kicks by stunting Gibson for Studwell. Guess I shouldn't be surprised, seeing as he's the "stud."

I didn't know Eagles could kick, too! Shoot, that guy is truly a triple-threat. Unless he can RETURN kicks, too, in which case he is a ... not sure I can count that high-threat.

But seriously, I was surprised in my many Wimps vs Monsters attempts at how many times I was able to block kicks by stunting Gibson for Studwell. Guess I shouldn't be surprised, seeing as he's the "stud."

That was a goof, given how many times I had to type in Eagles since the starting quarterback for that offense was simply Eagles QB.

Anyways, My Wimps are now 10-2, with one more game left to win to clinch my division.  A regular season matchup with the undefeated Tecmo Monsters will see just how well I match up with the league's best offense versus the leagues best defense.

Finished the regular season 12-3-1.  Lost to Denver, Buffalo, and the Tecmo Monsters in that order (the final loss was due to a last second kick return for a touchdown, which lead to a 21-15 defeat).  I tied the Steelers, but won the tie breaker against them for the number 3 seed due to having scored a few more points throughout the season, while giving up the fewest points in the NFL (I had the league's best defense as well as its worst offense).

So in the Wild Card round, Dan Marino lead a first quarter touchdown, but the Dolphins would never again be able to score against me.  I wound up shutting down their running game while pressuring the quarterback constantly.  I threw for three touchdowns and kicked for one field goal in a defensively dominant game.  Unfortunately, I lost Jim Harbaugh for the year, leading Grodan to lead his team to victory.

Then, in the Divisional Round, I took down the Denver Broncos--the first team to have beaten me all year long (and handed me the worst loss of the year, being the only NFL team to score 30+ points against me).  The final score was 19-7, which also included a meaningless last-second safety.

And finally, the team that beaten me in overtime.  The one-loss Buffalo Bills.  I made my statement by eating up the entire first half by methodically working my way down the end zone slowly-yet-steadily, just to keep the Bills offense off the field.  Alas, my reasoning made sense.  As soon as the second half started, my kick off was returned all the way for a touchdown.  I countered by driving the team all the way to the end zone, but scored a little too quickly.  This allowed the Bills to make it back on the field to try to tie it up again.  But the Bills defense would never make it into scoring range, and all I had to do was run out the clock.  Won 14-7 and went on to the Super Bowl.

In the Super Bowl, I faced down the 16-0 Tecmo Monsters.  This wasn't just a Super Bowl between the league's best offense vs. the league's best defense, but the best offense also had the second best defense while my team was the league's worst on overall offense.  On top of that, the Wimps' defense were amplified due to the fact that my offense worked specifically to slowly-yet-methodically work its way down the end zone, keeping opposing offenses off the field for the vast majority of the game.  And when the opposing offense did take center stage, I would shut down the run, the trick plays, and rush the quarterback all in descending order of priority.  The Monsters' defense, on the other hand, was built specially to always shut down the run while rushing the passer at the same time.  This was a mismatch that was meant to be insurmountable in the big game.

But in spite of a poor first drive that backed my offense down to our own one yard line, I was able to kick the ball away and limit the Monsters to a field goal.  I was able to methodically work my way down the red zone before the end of the half, but rather than take my chance on a final play to get to the end zone, I would instead settle for a field goal.  Unfortunately, running back Kenneth Davis was injured during that half, meaning that I no longer had anything remotely resembling a running game, and I was stuck with Grogan at QB instead of Jim Harbaugh.  Two of my biggest weapons on my team were out, and the other two offensive weapons became useless.

The Monsters got the ball to start the second half, but I was able to keep them cramped up behind their 15-yard-line in a three-and-out (trust me; I was pretty darn lucky to have gotten all the defensive plays my way during that drive).  I was able to methodically work my way down in a scenario where it seemed that a 7-in-8 shot at a good play, and during a blitz, I managed a deep pass in deep coverage that lead to a touchdown.

Unfortunately, the Monsters' special teams ran all over my special teams, and scored a touchdown.  And we kept responding to each of our drives with a touchdown pass of our own.  Until we were tied 17-17.  Unfortunately, even though we had about 58 seconds left of play before the end of regulation, the kickoff return kept me restricted to the 15-yard-line.  And instead of attempting another play, I decided to punt the ball right back to the Monsters and attempt to force a Safety.  That didn't happen, though I was able to shut down their punt returner just as time was set to expire.

Come overtime, and the Monsters got the ball first in sudden death, and were able to work their way into field goal range.  When lol and behold, they missed the field goal attempt, giving me the ball at the 40.  I worked my way down the field in my usual methodical manner, since I didn't fully trust my kicker to win from the Monsters 35.  And while I was able to lead my team down to the red zone, I was forced into fourth down, and had no choice but to put the game in my kicker's hand.  The kick was up, and it hit the upright, but it was good!  The lowly Wimps had defeated the unbeatable Monsters in the Super Bowl during overtime.  The MVP of the Super Bowl was QB Steve Grogan for passing for 244 yards and two touchdowns with 0 interceptions.

Send me the cart for my Nintendo Dave!!!!!!!!!! (with Johnny Johnson) I'll PM you my address...........You know I don't really know that much about computers...

Please do send me your address. I will make you a sweet, custom JJ label too. Include your tshirt size too.

Any-hoonie, as my mom would say ...

Doin my Grogan challenge, I met the Bills for the second time in what turned out to be a 4th-quarter nail-biter. What with Bruce Smith crowding my nuts and Master Grogs throwing doinks left and right, I was reminded of "The Ultimate Tecmo Challenge."

FF to 6:40 for a rare 'deflection Interception,' courtesy of Marv Cook and Kirby Jackson.

https://youtu.be/HO_Jel0bMYQ

Edited by Green Majik

Great game, my man. The touchdown saving tackle, and subsequent injury to Thurman at the end of the first was huge. Grogan at his worst, and you said it...Bruce Smith totally ignoring the G Man's bubble space. And it didn't look like Ray Bentley forgot to take his Adderall..

Edited by brandonj47

Any-hoonie, as my mom would say ...

Doin my Grogan challenge, I met the Bills for the second time in what turned out to be a 4th-quarter nail-biter. What with Bruce Smith crowding my nuts and Master Grogs throwing doinks left and right, I was reminded of "The Ultimate Tecmo Challenge."

FF to 6:40 for a rare 'deflection Interception,' courtesy of Marv Cook and Kirby Jackson.

https://youtu.be/HO_Jel0bMYQ

WOW............I havn't seen that in Ten years!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I think some people on this board still think it doesn't exist......I'm really suprized Marv Cook didn't come down with that.....................................I don't wanna be the one to say it, but I will...................................If that were Johnny Johnson going up for that ball, he woulda' come down with that ball, no questions asked.

Great game, my man. The touchdown saving tackle, and subsequent injury to Thurman at the end of the first was huge. Grogan at his worst, and you said it...Bruce Smith totally ignoring the G Man's bubble space. And it didn't look like Ray Bentley forgot to take his Adderall..

Bentley was nuts. It was like every time I threw it over the middle I was like ... now why did I do that?

WOW............I havn't seen that in Ten years!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I think some people on this board still think it doesn't exist......I'm really suprized Marv Cook didn't come down with that.....................................I don't wanna be the one to say it, but I will...................................If that were Johnny Johnson going up for that ball, he woulda' come down with that ball, no questions asked.

I'll bet JJ could have grabbed it. Marv Cook is a strange 'cook-ie;' sometimes I think I can rely on him, but more often than not, when I throw into coverage it's picked.

Grogs throws his pops SO dang high, not even Fryar can come down with them half the time.