TSB Greatest Teams for the NES???

Hey guys that created the most recent TSB game for last season, I have a burning question for you guys:

Can you please create a custom made cartridge containing each of the 32 teams of today, but with the frachises' best year of that team, and here is an example;

Seattle Seahawks = 2013 is their best year.

And I know it will be hard, but I've figured out the best years for the 32 teams, and here is the list of them:

AFC East:

1990 Buffalo Bills

2004 New England Patriots

1968 New York Jets

1972 Miami Dolphins

AFC North:

2000 Baltimore Ravens

1987 Cleveland Browns

1988 Cincinnati Bengals

1978 Pittsburgh Steelers

AFC West:

1998 Denver Broncos

1969 Kansas City Chiefs

1976 Oakland Raiders

1994 San Diego Chargers

AFC South:

2012 Houston Texans

2006 Indianapolis Colts

1999 Jacksonville Jaguars

1999 Tennessee Titans

NFC East:

1992 Dallas Cowboys

1986 New York Giants

2004 Philadelphia Eagles

1991 Washington Redskins

NFC North:

1985 Chicago Bears

1991 Detroit Lions

1996 Green Bay Packers

1976 Minnesota Vikings

NFC West:

2008 Arizona Cardinals

1999 St. Louis Rams

1989 San Francisco 49ers

2013 Seattle Seahawks

NFC South:

1998 Atlanta Falcons

2003 Carolina Panthers

2009 New Orleans Saints

2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers

I may be mistaken, but I think some guy did this with the SNES, NES, and Genesis.  Some mumbo-jumbo about a Convergence where Jerry Jones traveled through time and space, abducted the greatest NFL teams of all time, and put them in an arena to do battle with one another until only one team remained. 

The SNES and Genesis versions have 30 teams, while the NES one has 28.  Here's the LINK.

nes2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

three teams from 1999?  yikes.  that is a paradox, to me.  I don't see how 2x versions of Kurt Warner is a paradox, especially when they are 9 years apart.

Okay, here are a few bit of criteria for me to follow, in addition to the Super Bowl era rules:

Edited by buck

But the teams also have to be the ones that either won or lost in a Super Bowl, so sorry Mike, but the 94 Chargers are better

LT was unstoppable in '06. 2006 Chargers all day long.

But the teams also have to be the ones that either won or lost in a Super Bowl, so sorry Mike, but the 94 Chargers are better

0-4 to start off the season?  Sorry, but had the Charger beaten the Patriots in 2006, they would have won the Super Bowl easily.

Teams that have never won a Super Bowl are ultimately about as credible as the few that never have been.  If I were to include some criteria, it'd include all world championship teams if applicable, Super Bowl or not.  I would also try to limit my window to just 1960-present day so that I could include teams like the 1960 Eagles, 1961 Oilers (in place of the 1999 Titans--or perhaps alongside them if I were to edit out 2012 Texans instead), 1963 Chargers, 1964 Browns, and 1965 Bills (though one could make the argument that the 1990 Buffalo Bills were the better team, and should have by all accounts won the Super Bowl that year).  The only exceptions are the 1947 Cardinals and the 1953 Lions as they are by all accounts the greatest versions of these teams in history (proof positive on just how horrendously bad these franchises have been historically during the Super Bowl era)

That just leaves us with six teams that have never won a championship either before or since the founding of the Super Bowl:  Minnesota Vikings, Atlanta Falcons, Carolina Panthers, Cincinnati Bengels, Houston Texans, and Jacksonville Jaguars; only the latter two have never even been to the championship game (though if one were to replace the Houston Texans with the Oilers, then that leaves us with five teams to represent).

So, here's my true evaluation on all of the greatest variants on each football club in history:

AFC East

'68 New York Jets (13-3)

'72 Miami Dolphins (17-0)

'90 Buffalo Bills (15-4)--and yes, I understand they didn't win, but look how close they actually were to pulling it off?

'04 New England Patriots (17-2)

AFC North

'64 Cleveland Browns (11-3-1)

'78 Pittsburgh Steelers (17-2)

'88 Cincinnati Bengels (14-5)**

'00 Baltimore Ravens (16-4)

**Never won a championship

AFC South

'61 Houston Oilers (11-3-1)*

'99 Jacksonville Jaguars (15-3)**

'99 Tennessee Titans (16-4)

'06 Indianapolis Colts (16-4)

'12 Houston Texans (13-5)**

*You can use to replace either the 99 Titans, the '12 Texans, or choose not to use this team at all; it's your choice.

**Never won a championship.

AFC West

'63 San Diego Chargers (12-3)

'69 Kansas City Chiefs (14-3)

'76 Oakland Raiders (16-1)

'98 Denver Broncos (17-2)

NFC East

'60 Philadelphia Eagles (11-2)

'86 New York Giants (17-2)

'91 Washington Redskins (17-2)

'92 Dallas Cowboys (16-3)

NFC North

'53 Detroit Lions (11-2)

'66 Green Bay Packers (14-2)

'69 Minnesota Vikings (14-3)***

'85 Chicago Bears (18-1)

***Given that the NFL-AFL merger had yet to occur, this was as close to a world championship this team ever came to.

NFC South

'98 Atlanta Falcons (16-3)

'02 Tampa Bay Buccaneers (15-4)

'03 Carolina Panthers (14-6)

'09 New Orleans Saints (16-3)

NFC West

'47 Arizona Cardinals (10-3)

'89 San Francisco 49ers (17-2)****

'99 St. Louis Rams (16-3)

'13 Seattle Seahawks (16-3)

****Technically speaking, the '84 team finished with one less loss, but since the '89 49ers seem to be the face of the Tecmo Super Bowl series, and is by far the most popular team in franchise history, I guess it'd make sense to include the '89 team instead.

This is only my second attempt at this since I've made the documented effort to seek out the best versions of each team throughout history.  Though if you were to notice, every team that has already won a Super Bowl, I chose the best available option amongst all their Super Bowl victories.

As for those without a win, I aim for their best championship seasons if applicable (otherwise, I'd look into their best record), Super Bowl era or not.  The big exception to the rule were the Buffalo Bills since they by all accounts should have won that game.

I know there are conditions, but for the teams that'd never even been to a Super Bowl (and strictly limiting to Super Bowl appearances), fine; I'd change all these teams to their best Super Bowl showings to date, and then select the '86 Browns, '91 Lions, '99 Jaguars, and '12 Texans.

*whoosh*.  What a mouthful.

But Mike, while I understand your point, my point you are not getting is this; the teams created for this game have to, at least, appear in either the NFC/AFC Championship game or the Super Bowl and either win or lose in it.  Also, there are teams that you selected for this creation that are definitely wrong, and I'll tell you which team is better from my decision I picked:

87 Browns > 64 Browns

94 Chargers > 63 Chargers (Which by the way, the 1994 Chargers team started actually 4-0 into Week 5)

04 Eagles > 60 Eagles (The 2004 Eagles are better because they went to the Super Bowl)

91 Lions > 53 Lions

96 Packers > 66 Packers (Why they are better is because of 2 players that got them there; Reggie White and Brett Favre)

76 Vikings > 69 Vikings (I like Fran Tarkenton more than Joe Capp)

08 Cardinals > 47 Cardinals (If you don't remember, back in 1947, the team you chose used to be in Chicago, not in Arizona)

Those are the teams you should definitely consider picking, besides, it has to coincide within the Super Bowl era anyway, why not those teams???

To bad your criteria has to have Superbowl appearences & Title games...................I know the Jets team you pick will more than likely have Broadway Joe on it, but there is no team more packed with Tecmo LEGENDS than the 1993 Jets...It's almost the perfect Tecmobowl team, Defensively & Offensively....................

...............................Google that roster.  They should have won the whole fukk!n thing that year with the players and coach (Pete Carroll) they had.

But Mike, while I understand your point, my point you are not getting is this; the teams created for this game have to, at least, appear in either the NFC/AFC Championship game or the Super Bowl and either win or lose in it.  Also, there are teams that you selected for this creation that are definitely wrong, and I'll tell you which team is better from my decision I picked:

87 Browns > 64 Browns

94 Chargers > 63 Chargers (Which by the way, the 1994 Chargers team started actually 4-0 into Week 5)

04 Eagles > 60 Eagles (The 2004 Eagles are better because they went to the Super Bowl)

91 Lions > 53 Lions

96 Packers > 66 Packers (Why they are better is because of 2 players that got them there; Reggie White and Brett Favre)

76 Vikings > 69 Vikings (I like Fran Tarkenton more than Joe Capp)

08 Cardinals > 47 Cardinals (If you don't remember, back in 1947, the team you chose used to be in Chicago, not in Arizona)

Those are the teams you should definitely consider picking, besides, it has to coincide within the Super Bowl era anyway, why not those teams???

For argument's sake, let's just settle for all teams from 1960-2015 (since I had heard that there are virtually no statistical data that exists for teams predating --even though the last time the Lions were world champions were during their 1950's dynasty, and the Cardinals had ever only won one world championship in franchise history back in 1947.  But given the fact that your criteria, by definition, would eliminate the Houston Texans from consideration since they never even got passed the Divisional Round in the playoffs as of this moment (and best overall record, I find, is much more suitable a comparison).  I try to find the best teams in history to have won a world championship, and that, sadly, forces me to settle for the best teams to have been to the big game--if not the Super Bowl.  Besides, had the Super Bowl existed back then, the 1960 Eagles, 1961 Oilers, 1963 Chargers, and 1964 Browns would have all gone to the Super Bowl--and likely would have won, too.  As for the teams you have selected:

Cleveland Browns:  First, the Browns won their last world championship back in 1964.  Second, if we are to limit our window to just 1966-present, why not go for the 1986 Browns--who finished with a better record than their 1987 counterparts, strike or no strike, and made it to the AFC Championship game anyways?  It was also the only time in the Super Bowl era that the team won home field advantage throughout the playoffs as well.

San Diego Chargers:  Again, the only championship this team had won was the 1963 season.  Anyways, I looked it up, and apparently, you're right.  It was the 1992 Chargers that made the playoffs in spite of an 0-4 start.  So if the 1994 season is the only one that is eligible if we are strictly adhering to the Super Bowl era, fine.  Though if we are to strictly limit ourselves to where such records had existed, starting in 1960, not only was the 1963 team better, but was far more successful in its goals.

Philadelphia Eagles:  I stand by that at the very least, we should limit ourselves to the 1960 season at the earliest for all of these teams, in which the Eagles have won their most recent world championship.  Otherwise, the 2004 season was their best season to date.

Detroit Lions:  I guess since records predating 1960 do not exist as far as statistical accomplishments go or gameplan or anything like that, I guess I have no choice but to limit myself to just the 1991 season (since it was the only season during the Super Bowl era so far in which the team won a playoff game).

Green Bay Packers:  First off, the hat must be taken off in favor of the original Super Bowl Champions themselves.  Second of all, what makes a better football team isn't one or two players that got them there (btw, you forgot KR Desmond Howard as well), but the team as a whole (as well as their coach).  And Vince Lombardi is arguably the greatest head coach in NFL history.

Minnesota Vikings:  Debatable.  Really, one could select any one of these four teams, but they still wound up Super Bowl losers.  In stark contrast, the 1998 Vikings had the best record in franchise history (as well as, at the time, the most explosive offense in league history) and lost in overtime thanks to a missed field goal kick (boy, do the NFL gods really hate the Vikings when it comes to overtime).  But if your choice has more to do with preference in QB, fine (though if that's the case, then the 1973 team is just as good, especially if your aim is to minimize the amount of teams that appear in a single season).

Cardinals:  This is a very tricky subject since historically speaking, they are the least successful franchise in NFL history (not counting some of the more recent expansion franchises like the Jaguars or Texans), rivalled only by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (which, even then, the Bucs at least won a Super Bowl).  Granted, they are the only team to not only reach a conference championship, but even came close to winning a Super Bowl as well.  Which is why I still cannot escape the notion of seeing a Tecmo Super Bowl in which two Kurt Warner's happen to be playing each other at least twice a season.  Besides, given just how badly the Cardinal's history has been, it probably doesn't matter which year from 1960-present you select; in a battle royale against the greatest years of each of the other 31 NFL teams, the Cardinals would get the utter crap kicked out of them all season long.  Through all intents and purposes, you might as well just throw in the current and untested 2015 roster.

The only other question I have is concerning the Houston Oilers:  Would we replace either the Titans or the Texans with them?  And would you at all be bothered over the notion of there being three teams from 1999--that being the Rams, the Titans, and the Jaguars?  Because one way or another, you got to have the Rams and Jaguars--one posted the best record in franchise history, while the other won the Super Bowl.  Which the latter, by default, would more likely than not guarantee making it into the Convergence.

Speaking of which, of the thirteen teams that have never won a Super Bowl--Bills, Browns, Texans, Titans, Jaguars, Chargers, Eagles, Lions, Vikings, Panthers, Falcons, and Cardinals, who do you think is the most likely to win the Super Bowl this year?  Perhaps the likeliest dark horse Super Bowl as of right now would have to be Eagles vs. Texans; the former due to how lethal they appear to be so far in the preseason, while the latter, well, just look at who they have on defense!  I would watch it, and you know what?  In spite of my appreciation of Tim Tebow, I can't stand the Eagles, so I'll just be cheering on the Texans all the way if we get a Super Bowl matchup like this.