How to pick off the Cap Boso slant route pass

Tecmo-Mad-Brad

Someone always chirping about this, and how its unstoppable.  We've been picking this off since the 90's.  I put this video together to show the trick.  Get up high then come down at an angle to get the INT.  Just another ploy that doesn't work against a real Tecmo Bowl professional such as myself.  In the future I'll get some video up on how to pick off the Roger Craig slant as well.  

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcfO3XV5hnU

• 2 months later...

My buddies and I utilize a game play rule where you are not allowed to gain yards when the defense calls the same play as the offense.  Takes out the "cheap" factor IMO of completing passes to Boso when you can't get the defender in the right spot.  I can intercept the Boso slant often enough, BUT the Bavaro, and  Herschel Walker curl routes are basically unstoppable if the QB can wait till they start to get into the curl.  There's no picking those off that I'm aware of.  What's the point of having a 100% unstoppable play in your arsenal?  At some point, that makes the spirit of competition, and the overall enjoyment of the game null and void.    

We tend to get a lot of brushback on facebook and twitter when we mention this rule.  I view our gameplay rules as not that much different from what is used in TSB tourneys.  Really i feel we're just cleaning up a natural glitch that the programmers may have overlooked....similar to outlawing the lurch NT dive play.

What I really don't get about the NT dive is how some people tout that as a legit defensive strategy???  You take a great game and really make it unplayable if everyone is doing that.  Doesn't take a Mensa member to see the benefit of outlawing that dive, and keeping the game playable and as enjoyable as possible.   

That's a cool rule and totally similar to the NT rule. Clowns on FB & twitter whine about anything and everything because they are the best to ever play the game. The few that show up to tourneys usually get massacred anyways. Fairness rules are where it's at.

I don't know, but there seem to be too many unwritten rules for playing Tecmo Bowl for me to hang with - too many that would restrain my basic instinct and fun.

TSB has like one rule:  no DL lurch.  I can handle that, it's like one simple thing.  And I imagine that one rule is not too hard for even a child to remember.

But these TB rules, like running out of bounds on called plays, and not allowed to run with the QB more than once a half, and what other rules are there?  They just seem so burdensome and require too much thought/instinct reversal on the part of the guy trying to move the ball.  ***Now, I haven't  really played TB since the early '90s, so maybe if I have been playing it for the last 25 freaking years, I might evolve to some things like this, but man...

(There is a part of me that thinks there should be zero unwritten rules - just play the game.  I mean, if you really are good at a game, you play the game any way you can.  Just like real life sports, sometimes it just comes down to who has the ball or scores last).

post-5602-0-19936700-1443751694_thumb.jp

Edited by buck

(There is a part of me that thinks there should be zero unwritten rules - just play the game.  I mean, if you really are good at a game, you play the game any way you can.  Just like real life sports, sometimes it just comes down to who has the ball or scores last).

attachicon.gifbasic instinct.jpg

I never heard of not "lurching" until about 4 or 5 years ago when I found online tecmo. We still had a ton of fun with diving with any of the DL, the counters that are there were just naturally what we would use. (Shotgun, Run 2 pro set off tackle)

I don't know, but there seem to be too many unwritten rules for playing Tecmo Bowl for me to hang with - too many that would restrain my basic instinct and fun.

But these TB rules, like running out of bounds on called plays, and not allowed to run with the QB more than once a half, and what other rules are there?  They just seem so burdensome and require too much thought/instinct reversal on the part of the guy trying to move the ball.  ***Now, I haven't  really played TB since the early '90s, so maybe if I have been playing it for the last 25 freaking years, I might evolve to some things like this, but man...

For the record, If a guy off the street plays me and wants to QB run all day, I'm fine with that.  It really plays into my hands anyways....I'll gladly give up 5-6 yard QB runs as opposed to 8-12 yard passes.  Mainly because I have the knowledge base on how to funnel virtually any playbook into a favorable situation for me.  Once I see those QB runs,  I can start to adjust my calls accordingly to counter them.  I aint scared of that.  But, I often only play my close friends...guys who I've played against in hundreds and hundreds of games.  Guys who know every little angle to the game. 

There's really 1 reason we have a limit on QB runs, and it's simply because it makes the game far more cerebral.  Original TB has a certain aspect of strategy that i don't believe TSB possesses....at least not in the same way.  In original TB, there are combinations of calls between the offense and defense that invoke CPU defensive pass coverage help.  Frequently what happens with these combo of calls is the top WR(who often goes deep) gets covered by CPU defender, and my controlled player has 2 targets to cover in a somewhat close proximity.  Pass calls by the D create this, but in some instances, so do run calls.  It's all documented at my site.  It's really the basis for creating gameplans and it varies from which team/playbook you are defending against.....also varies based on what you have for defensive personnel.  It's a distinct layer of strategy that can be employed with or without unlimited QB runs.    

When coverage occurs, the QB has the option to thread the needle immediately, use some skill to stay in the pocket while drawing my defender to one target and throwing to the other, or taking a safer route, and run with his QB.  When the QB can run all day, it does nullify the defensive ploy to an extent, as the offense has more of an "escape hatch" that's present.  When the QB has a limited number of runs, it raises the level of competition from a mental aspect found between the offense and defense...provided both players have similar knowledge base.  The offense has to counter with runs at a particular area of the field to try and get the defense out of their base pass calls, and out of that player positioning.  From there the defense tries to vary and deviate from its standard base calls and player positioning.  it becomes of situation of who can impose their will upon the other.  Who can call a better game once the adjustment start to happen.  Who can deviate the best in key spots, or stay 1 step ahead.  Sure, it's probably more of a rigid game with limited QB runs, but wrinkles and adjustment become really key in order to win.

Back in the day before i understood how Tecmo worked, with pass coverages, and the calls we use that will short circuit some of the offensive run blocking schemes....it was merely an execution based game.  Don't fuck up of offense and put points on the board.  Shit load of fun.  As our understanding evolved we made a few rule tweaks so the game would evolve with us.  it was done to make the game more challenging, more intense....more meaningful!   The 1 QB run per qtr now makes execution of your plays more paramount, and it also adds in the element of battling it out with gameplans, play calls, and deviations.     

I may not be explaining this as well as it needs to be articulated, but with QB run limits, it really creates a chess game like feel to Tecmo Bowl.  The 1 QB run per qtr IMO still replicates some of that "unplanned/improvisation" element you see by the offense in a game of football. 

There is a distinct 2nd reason for limited QB runs.  Without a limit, the playbooks and their effectiveness are less discernible.  With the QB escape hatch available all game, it really shrinks the gap between the Giants and Cowboys for instance quite considerably.  Player personnel becomes less of a factor.  The Bears stud defense is no longer a factor , if sorry ass Danny White can convert 3rd downs with his legs over and over. In that setting the offense really has a 75% chance to succeed no matter who they are facing.  That's not how football works!!!   We enjoy having a hierarchy of sorts within the game.  I relish the challenge of beating a top tier team with a bad offense...or a match-up that requires me to out coach my opponent in order to win...not just having Dave Krieg run 14 times a game.  That's Curt Warner's job.  

Tecmo used to be about randomly making calls when we were kids...  It was fun but simple.  Now with 1 QB run, I'm taking 2-3 minutes before the game to draw up my gameplan for each side of the ball, as is my opponent.  When my buddy comes over for a set of season ending playoff games for all the marbles, he's got notebook with him already mapping out the 1st round games.....and that wouldn't be really feasible without limited QB runs.  I get so much more out of Tecmo now than when I was a kid.  I gotta admit the games are way more fucking stressful, but I look forward to playing Tecmo with my boys far more than ever before.        

Edited by Tecmo-Mad-Brad

We have other rules to help the game along.  LB position player only to be used for blocking FGs.  In original Tecmo, if you learned where all the fast guys are on defense lined up on FG attempts, most teams would have to get inside the 20-25 yardline before they could even think about kicking a FG.  FGs are a pretty big part of football.  That rule makes FGs a viable option for most everyone.  Yeah the Giants have LT and he's a killer vs FGs, so it gives them a distinct advantage, but hierarchy is present there, and the G-men have a distinct ST edge there.  Really have to play your ass off to beat the G-men, but it's doable.    

I could play under the rules you play under, my only beef would be on a play pick for a run play, the running back should be able to gain yards if he can. To me that would replicate a more realistic representation of the game. Guys like Lorenzo Hampton, Timmy Smith and Darrin Nelson would struggle to get yards on a play pick, but Payton, Dickerson, Warner, Dorsett and even Craig would be able to break away once in a while for a positive gain. I've said it before on these boards, but when I was a kid I was banned from using the Niners in our leagues, and not just due to the Craig slant (which we all knew how to pick off), but even with Craig only having one run play, I could consistently beat a play call for positive yards. Especially on Craig's run 1 & Warner and Dorsett's run Two, I could weave my way right through the middle of the defense and once and a while even bust a long gain. This was much easier against a 3-4, against a 4-3 it was possible, but mainly only if the opponent would use the middle linebacker and not rush him on a play pick. We've all called run plays that have gotten stuffed for no gain or a loss, or even a yard or two gain. We've also had some times where the defense over pursued and the back gets away for a gain. To me that would be completely acceptable and be a better representation of a more realistic game. As realistic as a football video game with only Nine players on each side can be. I'm a big fan of what you do with Tecmo Bowl, but that would be my only gripe about the rules you play with.

Allowing a RB to occasionally get loose on a playpick isn't the worst thing you can do for rules.  

It tilts things in the favor of LA, CHI, and IND.  It's not a big deal, but I have noticed that when Bo Jackson pulls it off vs MIA or DAL, he goes a looooong way because they have some weak defenders that even in cheat mode will bounce off him.  

Attached is a zip file showing Roger Craig breaking contain right up the middle on a play pick by Los Angeles. I did this playing on FCEUX emulator with the original Tecmo Bowl.  I was using a keyboard not a controller. I can regularly do this out of the off set I formation with Craig, Warner and Dorsett.  I can also do this with Eric Dickerson regularly also from the I and Timmy Smith and sometimes Kevin Mack, but it is harder with the latter two. As the weeks go on in season mode it gets harder especially against a a 4-3 defense.

TB Running Back Break on play pick.zip

Edited by TheFes75