Centralia, WA - 08/29/15 - Manyo's Mayhem 5: A Homage to #29

manYo

TOUGH day for turnovers......................I will say 2 of the hardest games I had to play were against GripSmoke...seems like a lil' rivalry has been fueled......Manyo, you need to put that Dickerson figure up for grabs again!!!!!........................

.....................BTW, fucc the J-E-T-S.

Hey!

A few notes about this tournament -

As always, it's great to see all my PNW brethren (minus a few notables). Also great to welcome a new member to our ranks officially. Bougart won his first tourney game as well. That's pretty impressive. I know we talk about it all the time, but we gotta find a way to keep this shit going throughout the year. Maybe not always on the same scale, but keep it going nonetheless.

Also as always - Manyo puts on a hellava show. I don't monitor other tourney formats that closely but this one has got to stand alone in a number of ways. The use of match-ups across the board in each round of the regular season was an inventive touch.

The love for # 29 was evident from the moment you walked through the door, and a lot of TLC went into this. Poster for the winner, figure for the record holder and cards for errrrybody was a great touch. Highlight videos on bigscreens, simmed tecmo season going on all the while. Audio and video streamed throughout? I hope many a listener enjoyed the screams of Ernie "Muuuuuthhhaaaphukka" Jones throughout the evening. We all did. TBK's play-by-play, especially of his own runs is second to none. Not to mention a machine with a special Colts on Colts game lined u

As for my in game experience, a mixed bag. Started out hot, dropping Vader in back to back games (thanks to a Dickerson matchup). I then waxed TBK 35-0 in my called Jets / Dal Match up. From there it was pretty much downhill. I backed into the playoffs by losing to Manyo in a pretty good battle and getting carpet bombed by Grip 42-7 (my worst loss in PNW history). It was kinda sorta close in the first half, a huge JJ at half to Flipper put it out of reach, and Grip went for the throat after that.

I won my first match up in the elim round against newcomer Bougart. Vikes / Was. It wasn't too close. Followed up by a completely deserved loss to Kamp. Can't remember the final score, but I remember thinking I was cool with it. This matched me up with Grip in the losers bracket. I wasn't feeling confident, but I won the toss and went to my go to match up, NYJ / Dal. Grip took Dal.

This ended up being the worst screw job by Tecmo on me, maybe ever. I was in complete control of this game, multiple times, and each time, the rug was pulled out from under me. After getting a nice user pick with Clifton, I drove down and Blair Thomas fumbled on the 10. Ouch. I got another pick after a couple of plays though, drove down looking to score...and Thomas fumbled again. This time on the 1. I kept it close throughout though. Later looking to convert on a 4th down, Eason (in good) missed a wide open WR who was open for the 1st down, and likely the TD. Finally, down 4 points and on my final drive, I went on 4th again, at about midfield, and AGAIN Eason missed the TE who was in Ex for a 30+ yard gain. It was too much to handle, and I was officially eliminated from the action. :(

But my night wasn't over! The Ted / TBK rivalry (PHX vs. Pit) had to be represented. What follows is a true accounting. There are witnesses to the following, super natural events:

These games will forever in my mind be referred to as the "OFFICIAL" Johnny Johnson plays above his stats games - and Here's a Muthafukka for your trouble. TBK and I played a pair of Phx / Pit games, and throughout both, Johnny was held in check...that is, until a crucial 3rd or 4th down was needed, then he'd simply switch him to WR(1) and go up and snatch a JJ catch, for a 50yrd completion, or even TD. More than once on a guessed shotgun p3. With Rod lurking!!!. It didn't matter. The same went for Muthaphukka, who had 2, TWO! CC completions on Rod. Never doubt their powers again, or do, at your own peril.

It's also worth noting that the 2nd win by TBK was aided by a safety, after he quietly kicked off while I was watching the Seahawks game (in true heel fashion). I never saw it. It was the difference in the game. I can't wait to get my revenge!

I missed the championship game because I had to catch a ride to the train (thanks, Manyo!). I heard Kamp had to take 2 from Vader, but I'm anxious to hear the details.

sorry ted, i don't recall any details of the two finals games.... my impressionistic memory, however, is a strong feeling of deja vu, in which kamp once again refuses to lose in the end of a tournament and breaks out his tecmo bludgeon to clear a path to victory....... hard to stop him once he finds that power groove, man!

Finals Game #1:

#1 -- kamp -- KC -- 27

#2 -- vader -- CHI -- 7

Finals Game #2:

#1 -- vader -- MIA -- 14

#2 -- kamp -- CHI -- 24

The stream is saved temporarily, but the audio has been muted by twitch because of the background music playing i would presume..... I will let that vid expire and become deleted, as I have a hardcopy on my computer..... but here it is for now:

http://www.twitch.tv/tecmomanyo/v/13458610

Kamp................You're getting too accustom to winning these thangs................Someone's gonna have to knoCC you off yo highhorse........and I'm afraid it's gonna have to be me.

Sincerely, 

T.B.K.

• 2 weeks later...

OK so 3 weeks have passed and I've been meaning to recap this, but 'tis a very tough time of the year, as manyo I'm sure can attest.

I'm running late and so the first round of the round robin starts without me. As I roll up to the Manyo Camp David Tecmo Compound, the power of RB Colts could be witnessed all around. After a sweltering summer, the cold winds blew in and boy did they blow, as witnessed below.

post-8428-0-19736300-1442722823_thumb.jp

Inside, the setup is like arriving at Cheers, 4 games going, my tecmo brethren doing their thang. Below you can see from foreground to background, Tailback King (with the Dickerson jerzee) and Gripsmoke (Pirates hat) and Ted (in his 12) and Vader (rocking Moon's jersey). Everybody is doing SD DEN, as each one of us chose a matchup for the round robin, and the matchups were drawn to see which one everybody would play, save for the RB Colts TV, which would be Colts vs Colts, both with Eric Dickerson on the Everdrive cart. One of the pairs of players would drawn to see who would be playing this on the RB Colts TV.

post-8428-0-34339200-1442722879_thumb.jp

One game stands out to me right away. It's the Portland Power Play, Gripsmoke and Tailback King. This matchup led to one of the most storied endings in PNW Tecmo history, with a 3 game match being decided by a hail mary attempt by Vader with KUBS!

For a little refresher, here you go

http://tecmobowl.org/topic/60270-centralia-wa-06212014-pacific-northwest-tecmo-championship-3-pnwtc3/?p=409301

So of course, this one is coming down to the wire in the same fashion when...

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-_UR18XhhY

So my tourney starts with me vs grip in a Bills Bears matchup. What I remember about this one was the putridity with which Mike Tomczak played, only to make some good plays after it was way too late. I got dominated in my first game.

post-8428-0-68761000-1442722920_thumb.jp

Next up I get Money V , playing Vern in a DAL JETS matchup. I still wasn't playing great, and Money V was using the PL88MAKER vs me very well, but I got a pick and a safety and the bombs to Al Toon came up golden.

post-8428-0-51346100-1442722966_thumb.jp

Next up were PHI vs RAI matchups and I got Bogart, a welcome new addition to the PNW live tourney scene. I got Bo in this one, but he was mostly decoy as Jay Schroeder stepped up and the Raiders D got a pick off of QBEagles. Bogart is a good dude and I hope we see him at PNW live tourneys from here on out.

post-8428-0-97801300-1442722991_thumb.jp

Also in the previous round, the Everdrive RB Colts TV had TBK vs Grip again, and TBK won 14-7. TBK was playing well today. Final round, Round 5 of the Round Robin, and I draw Vader on the Everdrive cart. Vader beat me 24-17 in a game I don't remember much. Looking at the box score, my side seemed to have the better stats except where it counted, on the scoreboard. I'm guessing fumbles were a part. I can tell you they played a big part the rest of the way.

post-8428-0-81045400-1442723024_thumb.jp

On to the Bracket part of the Tournament. Double elimination time. And I draw TBK. There's no Dicker-ing when it comes to what matchup we should play. DAL - PHX. It's a tradition like no other. There is no imitating the spectacle that is watching TBK play live, really moreso hearing TBK play live. Unfortunately, he got dicked over like really bad. I mean, there was a plethora of fumbles going my way. I gladly took it, but I felt bad for sure. Starting a double elim tourney with a loss is the opposite of ideal, and when you get dicked over like that by the tecmo gods without them even showing the common courtesy of a reach around, let's just say the outlook for TBK was less than stellar. 45-0 score was an aberration. I just got fortunate and Rudy needed to take some shots late, and the Dallas secondary picked Rosey off twice.

post-8428-0-89206600-1442723048_thumb.jp

Next up I draw Ted and I throw SD DEN at him, a matchup I'm pretty sure he shared that he didn't like, so I felt good about the outlook. I think I got a close stop midway, like bring out the chains kind, and Ted's attention was on the TV to the right of us which had the Seahawks preseason game on. I was able to take advantage and hold on for the 28-14 win with the Chargers as Butts busted loose and Billy Joe was on point.

post-8428-0-77917500-1442723076_thumb.jp

I'm in decent shape, guaranteed top 3 at this point, and Vader and I were playing with the winner guaranteed top 2. I wanted to play on the stream, so I called Pats - Dickerson Colts. Vader couldn't get RB Colts loose, but it didn't matter, as a defensive struggle ensued. Marv Cook caught a bomb I believe at the half, but the Dickerson Colts prevailed.

post-8428-0-99112000-1442723098_thumb.jp

So I wait to see who I'm going to play, and Grip and Manyo are playing for the right to play me while vader cools his heels. Grip pulls it out and in whats come to be our tradition, NE IND is called. Pretty much every time, he gets Indy and I get the Pats. I seem to think the play of the game was the last play of the 1st half, and I'm pretty sure Grip came in bringing heat, and Marc Wilson was able to get it to Eric Seivers in good condition and he was just able to score, getting a very key score. I do remember that Jeff George finally showed his true colors, as he was coolly efficient in Grip's hands vs me in our series over the years in these tourneys. This game was I think the first time I ever got a pick off of him, even though it was Trudeau. Don't recall how the final got to be 22-10, but there had to be a safety in there somewhere.

post-8428-0-82041400-1442723146_thumb.jp

So it's on to Vader. I need to beat him twice to win and he only needs to win one. Game 1, I get KC and he gets the Bears. I think I called this matchup. Don't remember much, but I do remember thinking he got screwed with the fumbles in this one.  Looks like Okoye really busted loose, but I'll tell you, I think I called this matchup hoping he'd take KC.

post-8428-0-96898800-1442723166_thumb.jp

So here we go. One game for all the marbles and the prized Eric Dickerson poster. MIA vs CHI. I'm pretty sure I called this one too. CHI defense picked off Marino once and Johnny Bailey looked like he moved the chain. Curiously Ron Morris caught a 72 yarder.

post-8428-0-64279900-1442723204_thumb.jp

My biggest recollection after this tourney was feeling pretty lucky with the fumbles in some key games. I know for sure Rd 1 vs TBK and the 2nd to last game vs Vader. I think I got one vs Grip as well. Anyway, like I said, it sucks but I'll take it.

As always, top notch setup by manyo. Always good to get together with my PNW brethren. I don't think anyone does it like we do it up here in the PNW, and manyo is a huge reason for that.

Kamp out!

Great write up, Kamp!

I really dig your style with a game by game recap with the end screen. And now we have video?

I gotta step up my recap game next tournament time.

FWIW re: our game -

I actually like the SD / Den match up, but it's one that I also feel like the other guy got some upper hand no matter which team I take. Fee me? It's a good one though. And the Hawks had nothing to do with the loss. It was the rare, totally earned Tecmo L, probably my only one of the day ;)

before i make a new thread for Mayhem 6, I want to throw a few dates out there first so you guys can speak for or against them freely, and then I guess I'll make the tuff decision in the end based on that info:

December 19 (DAL-NYJ that evening)

December 26 (WAS-PHI that evening)

January 2 (no NFL)

other ?>>?

i'll give it a handful of days for the feedback/suggestions to come in, mahalo

I can do the 26th no problem, altho I'm going to the Hawks vs. Rams on the 27th (might go to Browns game too, not sure), so leaving early sunday morning for that..... but, the option is there on the other days if you guys want to stay in town thru the next day, I'm an NFL junkie and always catch multiple games on NFL Sundays (either at my house, a friend's house, or O'Blarneys w/ Mac N Jack on tap).....

also, kamp sounds unlikely to do the 19th, so that date may be getting shaded out soon.....

Just got word the date I might have family reservations could be the 20th and not the 19th. This would mean I could be free the 19th and I would love to play the 19th if that's the case. I'll confirm once I find out for sure

Just got word the date I might have family reservations could be the 20th and not the 19th. This would mean I could be free the 19th and I would love to play the 19th if that's the case. I'll confirm once I find out for sure

NO KAMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Not the 19th!!!................I wouldn't be able to make it................and that would SUCC!

• 4 weeks later...

I can do the 26th no problem, altho I'm going to the Hawks vs. Rams on the 27th (might go to Browns game too, not sure), so leaving early sunday morning for that..... but, the option is there on the other days if you guys want to stay in town thru the next day, I'm an NFL junkie and always catch multiple games on NFL Sundays (either at my house, a friend's house, or O'Blarneys w/ Mac N Jack on tap).....

also, kamp sounds unlikely to do the 19th, so that date may be getting shaded out soon.....

i think we're going with the 26th... so start building up that karma account with the bosses, fellas, so you can come out to playayaya!  pro tip(?):  buy her a great gift, then ask her when she's in a good mood..... hey here's another idea: my daughter can do some baby-sitting at the tourney as well (looking at u pla88maker).

washington plays at philadelphia that evening, and i'll be happy to stream that game at the tourney.

i'll post more and create a new thread when i next feel inspired to do so (i.e., when tbk starts hound-doGGin me, etc.)..... otherwise feel free to send me thematic ideas or whatever either here or e-mail or text or aim or...... still toying with a civil war idea as well (north vs. south).