Tecmo Super Bowl 25th Anniversary Edition

I'm not quite understanding what this idea is about, even after reading the description. So your taking tecmo guys and mixing them with current players? You have Joe Haden listed in the afc amongst tecmo legends, is this a typo?

On July 1, I created a Facebook group page for this project of mine.  I have zero programming experience and been dabbling in making a cartridge for myself since 2012 with the help of all the great contributors on this website.  For the past six months I have been collecting statistics and creating formulas to determine who will be featured in this game and what their ratings will be.  Here is a description from the Facebook group:

"On December 13, 1991 the greatest game of all-time was made.  Next December will be the 25th anniversary.  I have been creating a ROM to be produced on Nintendo cartridges.  It will have the same feel as the original, but will include a few game-play and off field hacks.  It will include a Who's Who of each franchise from the past 25 years.  I will be making 25 copies of this game to be sold.  Each label will include the limited edition number out of 25.  The cartridge will be painted in silver to represent the 25th anniversary.  The label will be created by me (already finished).  The cartridge will include a professionally made instruction manual and a BitBox with custom artwork. To avoid discriminating who gets to buy one, I will have contests on this group page once the cartridge is complete to determine who is first, second, third, etc."

FAQs

1.  This sounds awesome, how can I purchase one?

A = I will be having contests via the Facebook page to determine who will have the opportunity to purchase first.

2.  How much is it going to cost?

A = I have no clue.  I will list a price once the cartridges, boxes, and instruction manuals are complete.

3.  When are you selling these?

A = Purchases will be made next fall.  Cartridges will be delivered to buyers on December 13, 2016.

4.  Will the ROM be available online?

A = No.  The point of this project is for me to complete a ROM on cartridge.  The game will be exclusive to the 25 people who purchase the cartridge.

5.  How come so and so did not make it on the game?

A = Everything was done based on statistical data and formulas.  

All of the rosters are already done.  Some on the roster are from the original ROM and some have been added since 1991 who have added value/made a significant impact toward a franchise in the past 25 years.

This voting thing is a chance to bring back a "Tecmo legend" or someone the masses think belongs that the statistics and formulas used to pick the players on the 25th Anniversary ROM left off.

Make sense?

Edited by Tecmo Psycho

All of the rosters are already done.  Some on the roster are from the original ROM and some have been added since 1991 who have added value/made a significant impact toward a franchise in the past 25 years.

This voting thing is a chance to bring back a "Tecmo legend" or someone the masses think belongs that the statistics and formulas used to pick the players on the 25th Anniversary ROM left off.

Make sense?

So these guys currently are not in the game?

Bo Jackson

Christian Okoye

Bobby Humphrey

So these guys currently are not in the game?

Bo Jackson

Christian Okoye

Bobby Humphrey

That is correct.  All players were picked using a franchise value formula with statistics, franchise input, and franchise fan input.  This is the opportunity to save one of them,.

Ok, so like Elway, I read the thread and was confused a bit.  Then, I saw your reply to him saying, "All players were picked using a franchise value formula with statistics, franchise input, and franchise fan input."  So, how then is Bo still not in the game as he has franchise input and fan input I would think?  Curious is all.  Marcus Allen, Mark Van Eeghen, Clem Daniels (?), Napoleon Kaufman, and Marv Hubard (?) are OAK Top 5 Rushers All-Time.  Heck, Darren McFadden is 6th!  Bo comes in at 14th but I think most would argue that he had more value to the franchise than 4 of those named.  Granted, I don't know your formula exactly.  And again, just curious.  

I do love the idea of this rom and will play it for sure.

Ok, so like Elway, I read the thread and was confused a bit.  Then, I saw your reply to him saying, "All players were picked using a franchise value formula with statistics, franchise input, and franchise fan input."  So, how then is Bo still not in the game as he has franchise input and fan input I would think?  Curious is all.  Marcus Allen, Mark Van Eeghen, Clem Daniels (?), Napoleon Kaufman, and Marv Hubard (?) are OAK Top 5 Rushers All-Time.  Heck, Darren McFadden is 6th!  Bo comes in at 14th but I think most would argue that he had more value to the franchise than 4 of those named.  Granted, I don't know your formula exactly.  And again, just curious.  

I do love the idea of this rom and will play it for sure.

Yeah...I was wondering how Sammy Winder gets in over Bo Jackson and Okoye.  Winder was an okay RB but he was average at best and only had a 3.6 career ypc average.  He also only cracked 1,000 yards once in 9 seasons.

All I remember is nobody could stop Bo or Okoye in Tecmo...Don't remember ever fearing S Winder :)

This is the last time I will say this.

It is not about Bo and Okoye being better than Sammy Winder.  According to the formula Sammy Winder was one of the four best RBs for DEN from 1991-2016.

Bo was 7th for the Raiders (mainly has to do with him playing just three seasons, not having great career numbers, and the team not being great during his tenure.

Okoye was 6th (Marcus Allen was actually rated 5th for the Chiefs) for the Chiefs.

I think it is a travesty that neither one is on there, but this is everyone's opportunity to save one.

When I start deviating away from the formula then people will start complaining, but anyways this is a place for fan favorite votes not a debate on who should be on or off the game.  I wanted to give the fan's a say in these six players.

Also, let's say Bo wins the vote, he will not be 75 MS.  He will be what he falls in the ranking of the game (pretty low actually).

Also, let's say Bo wins the vote, he will not be 75 MS.  He will be what he falls in the ranking of the game (pretty low actually).

That's Bo's charm. I don't want to see a slow Bo. What about Okoye's HP? If we're saving guys like Lonnie Young for their RS, then, well, I mean, is Dick Dick not going to be jumping all over crossways and sideways for JJs? I'm just not sure how to vote now...and I swore I saw Bo on there.

That's Bo's charm. I don't want to see a slow Bo. What about Okoye's HP? If we're saving guys like Lonnie Young for their RS, then, well, I mean, is Dick Dick not going to be jumping all over crossways and sideways for JJs? I'm just not sure how to vote now...and I swore I saw Bo on there.

Each player voted in will have a crazy attribute, but they may not carry the same stat line they did in the original.

Lonnie Young isn't being saved.  He made the game anyway.  I just gave an example of what a crazy attribute would be.  Saving one of these six just gives a chance to save a nostalgic favorite player from the game.

• 2 weeks later...

Fan Input Poll: Fan Favorites

"Fan Favorites" will feature six polls for fans of the game to "save" an original Tecmo Super Bowl ('91) player that did make the 25th Anniversary cut. Each poll will be done by the 1991 AFC and NFC divisions (AFC East, AFC Central, AFC West, NFC East, NFC Central, and NFC West).

A list of the of the original Tecmo Super Bowl ('91) players who made the 25th Anniversary ROM will be listed in the polls. If one of you favorite players didn't make the cut, you can cast a vote to save him.

The players from each of the six divisions who are saved by the community will be featured in the game as a special type of player with an incredible attribute (IE: Lonnie Young RS).

Next up is the NFC East

Who would you save that is not on the list below?

Voting rules:

1. Comment for your vote.

2. You can only vote one time.

3. No editing votes.

4. You have to choose between offense or defense (you only get one vote, not for each).

QB: Troy Aikman, Phil Simms, Randall Cunningham, and Mark Rypien

RB: Emmitt Smith, Herschel Walker, Rodney Hampton, Dave Meggett, Keith Byars, Brian Mitchell, and Johnny Johnson

WR: Art Monk, Gary Clark, Ricky Sanders, Mike Quick, Fred Barnett, Michael Irvin, and Roy Green

TE: Don Warren, Mark Bavaro, Keith Jackson,and Jay Novacek

OL: nate NEWTON, mark STEPNOSKI, doug RIESENBERG, bart OATES, david ALEXANDER, russ GRIMM, jeff BOSTIC, raleigh MCKENZIE, Lance Smith, Luis Sharpe, and Tootie Robbins

K: Chip Lohmiller

DL: Charles Mann, Reggie White, Clyde Simmons, Tony Tolbert, and Freddie Joe Nunn

LB: Wilbur Marshall, Lawrence Taylor, Carl Banks, Pepper Johnson, Seth Joyner, Byron Evans, Eugene Lockhart, and Eric Hill

DB: Darrell Green, Mark Collins, Eric Allen, Wes Hopkins, and Tim McDonald (looks like Lonnie didn't make it)

P: Sean Landeta

If there is a favorite of yours that didn't make it, list your player as a comment. The most votes for players not already listed above by Sunday October 3 will join Erik McMillan, Richard Johnson, and Bo Jackson as the fourth of six on the game with a unique/special attribute.

Voting rules:

3. No editing votes.

4. You have to choose between offense or defense (you cannot vote for one each).

Edited by Tecmo Psycho

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Fan Input Poll: Fan Favorites

"Fan Favorites" will feature six polls for fans of the game to "save" an original Tecmo Super Bowl ('91) player that did make the 25th Anniversary cut. Each poll will be done by the 1991 AFC and NFC divisions (AFC East, AFC Central, AFC West, NFC East, NFC Central, and NFC West).

A list of the of the original Tecmo Super Bowl ('91) players who made the 25th Anniversary ROM will be listed in the polls. If one of you favorite players didn't make the cut, you can cast a vote to save him.

The players from each of the six divisions who are saved by the community will be featured in the game as a special type of player with an incredible attribute (IE: Lonnie Young RS).

Next up is the NFC Central
Who would you save that is not on the list below?

Voting rules:
3. No editing votes.
4. You have to choose between offense or defense (you only get one vote, not for each).

QB: Jim Harbaugh, Scott Mitchell (DET), Wade Wilson, and Vinny Testaverde

RB: Neal Anderson, Brad Muster, and Barry Sanders

WR: Brett Perriman, Sterling Sharpe, and Anthony Carter

TE: Steve Jordan and Ron Hall

OL: Keith Van Horne, Jay Hilgenberg, Lomas Brown, Randall McDaniel, Gary Zimmerman, Tim Irwin, Ian Beckles, and Paul Gruber

K: Kevin Butler, Fuad Reveiz, 

DL: Richard Dent, Robert Brown, and Chris Doleman

LB: Mike Singletary, Chris Spielman, Michael Cofer, Johnny Holland, and Hardy Nickerson (T.B.)

DB: Mark Carrier, Donnell Woolford, William White, Bennie Blades, Mark Lee, Mark Murphy, Joey Browner, and Carl Lee

P: Don Bracken

If there is a favorite of yours that didn't make it, list your player as a comment. The most votes for players not already listed above by Saturday November 28 will join Erik McMillan, Richard Johnson, Bo Jackson, and Martin Mayhew as the fifth of six on the game with a unique/special attribute.

Voting rules:
3. No editing votes.
4. You have to choose between offense or defense (you cannot vote for one each).

I agree. Poop-Stain Wayne all the way. That said, this is YOUR creation Psycho, right? I mean, isn't Steve Christie, like, your Home G? What gives? I'm sorry, but fuck Kevin Butler. Right up his stupid ass.

Edited by brandonj47

• 2 weeks later...

The quarterbacks on this list left me bewildered, until I did some research. Not that I'm biased or anything.

Wade Wilson has 1 pro bowl. Scott Mitchell has a 4000 yd season in 94. Teste got his 4000 yd season in 96 as the Ravens' (first ever) QB. 

Jim Harbaugh? He has neither. Although as the Bears' primary starter from 90-94, they did have two 11-5 seasons, as well as a 9-7 season where they finished 4th in the NFC Central yet won their wildcard playoff game against the Vikings.

But I still gotta vote for Don Majkowski. The mullet, guys. Lots and lots and lots of injuries. Only one full season during his six with Green Bay, but it was a doosey: 4000 yd and a pro bowl appearance in 1989. 

More impressive than crack haddix? Probably not, but who cares.

It offends me that Mark Lee is on this list.

Not only was Lee the second worst defensive back in Tecmo (a fact that is erroneous for our purposes, I realize), but he didn't even play for the Packers between 1991 and 2015. Just several games for a couple other teams in 1991. 

If only four are chosen, seems like four of these would be a lock:

LeRoy Butler (12 seasons, 4 pro bowls)

Charles Woodson (7 seasons, 4 pro bowls w/ Packers)

Darren Sharper (8 seasons, 2 pro bowls w/ Packers)

Al Harris (8 seasons, 2 pro bowls)

Nick Collins (7 seasons, 3 pro bowls)

If more are chosen, you also have these guys:

Tramon Williams (9 seaons, 1 pro bowl)

Tyrone Williams (7 seasons)

Mike McKenzie (6 seasons)

Morgan Burnett (5 seasons)

PS, Mark Murphy? 1991 was the last year he played for the Packers.

As said several times before, this thread is not a debate on who should be or should not be on the game, but an opportunity to save an ORIGINAL ROM PLAYER that is a fan favorite.

AGAIN, career statistics are not the only factor in determining who made it.  That information will only be given to the 25 people who will own the game.

Steve Christie played one season with the Bucs.  Kevin Butler and Robbie Gould are by far and away the only kickers in the conversation for Chicago.

I said I would not refer to players other than the orginal and I am sticking to that, but you are forgetting contributions of players toward multiple teams in their careers and their standing in those other franchises.

I'm glad you are discussing, but it is reserved for voting on the fan favorite for each division.

With all that being said, is Majik your vote?

Edited by Tecmo Psycho

Since Johnny Johnson already made it onto the games' roster a long time ago, (and why wouldn't he) I'm just wondering what his hidden attribute will be???  You said every oldschool player was gonna have a zaney stat......you also said Johnson's stats weren't gonna be the same, or as good, so why don't you boost his 'running speed' up to like 70, or his 'catch' to 90........he deserves it!!!