Sign in to follow this  
War Machine

NFC Central Draft Thoughts and Review

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

3.  Detroit Lions (Kamphuna)

This was a close one with the Bears.  Kamphuna came out of a brief tecmo retirement to take over O’Dell’s Lions.  Kamp could not get much going with the team he inherited which led to a top 9 pick in this draft.  With the chance to mold the team to his style, expectations are high in a winnable division.  There will be some great divisional battles in the black and blue division, and the two horses taken in round 1 will make the life a living hell for everybody.  Kamp has returned rejuvenated so the Lion fans remain optimistic that they can make a return to the playoffs. 

Draft Thoughts:  The DL duo of destruction have left the AFC and will feast on NFC offensive lines for a change.  Thank you and good riddance!  Joe Greene and Deacon Jones have been a polarizing duo as the price tag for a DL has been quite high.  While stats may be deceiving, the havoc that is wreaked cannot be displayed on a stat sheet and the impact is significant.  Their presence in the draft alone was felt as the division rival Packers drafted a beast OL in the early 3rd (!)to help offset the impact.  Those battles should be fun.  Snagging John Riggins in round 2 gives the Lions a solid RB to build around and taking the Denver OL will help open up holes for the poor man’s Marv Hubbard.  The offense lacks some juice and the defense doesn’t have much speed outside of the DL, so it would be interesting to see how this plays out for the Lions. 

Favorite pick:  Bradley/McLoughan (Round 4):  After passing on DB’s until round 4, the Lions were able to snag a 44RP-63INT to help man the secondary.  While not a sexy pick, the value was nice

Least favorite:  Denver OL (Round 3):  The OL is a beast, I cant argue it but it just felt early.  Toolie’s pick prior was understandable due to facing the Detroit DL twice a year. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would have to agree that Denver OL is my least favorite, ONLY BECAUSE I HAD MY FINGER ON THE TRIGGER TO GET THAT HOU OL! Toolie stole it ONE PICK IN FRONT OF ME!. However, the pick of a stud OL to me was to try to add value to the DL pick in Rd 1, 1 less OL tandem that can hold up amidst the Fearsome Foursome + Bubba Hightower. Mean Joe, Deacon, Dick and Tim look to wreak havoc, riling themselves up into a frenzy state before each and every game, bringing the HEAT. The Packers games are gonna be tough, as Marv has the horses in front of him.

Getting the 56 63DB Bradley felt very fortunate, and I had to buy high in some other areas like RB (Riggo and Bulaich) and Backups (first backups taken off the board MIN Bups) to make up for the early pick of DL. I won't have a whole lot of speed at the wideout positions, but e'ery game gonna by PHYSIKAL!

Great job on these write ups man.

I was expecting maybe one of the stud defenders to be my pick at 8.  My dream was to land a 69ms guy, but Hubbard was better that I had hoped for.  About the Casanova pick; I never seem to generate that many turnovers, so I picked a guy that would be better for run stopping.  I'm sure it will cost me a pick or three, though.  If Kamp was mad about me stealing the OL he got me back in the next round by getting the last 44/63 DB.  Brad w/o a stud defender like he's had the last two seasons; glad to see that.  Drake with the Bradshaw pick at #3 was highly questionable.  He was talking about going RB with his first pick which I think he couldn't have gone wrong with Csonka or a 69ms guy.  Maybe he will prove the haters wrong!

Was going to get a top back round 1, though after recalling all the wide open misses Lamonica threw last season, I figured I'd invest here and make do with a subpar runner.

Lack of picks on the D side really hurt last year, only 6 all season. I sacrificed some speed for the greater INT average. Hopefully it pans out.

Edited by drake

Should have gone RB in my opinion over Bradshaw.  Only because it's a lot tougher to pass on this rom, unless you've got Staubach or Tarkenton...  And there are so many QBs out there that are at least 44/44.

What can I say, war's writeup was right on (as was rob's 2 cents), I botched this draft in a few important ways - #1 pick definitely should have been a top back, as Terry really isn't a huge upgrade on what I could've got in round 2 or 3 (already missing wide open passes and throwing 3 picks), and I overvalued the high int, but slow, LB combo - which after playing with them for 2 games, appear to be pretty useless (unless a picked play forces a short throw into coverage.) Kamph's Lions stud Dline was having my Oline for dinner.

Going to be a long season for the Vikes!

Edited by drake